HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Sony KDL-46EX640 picture settings

by tpendlebury CNET staff/forum admin / August 31, 2012 7:34 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-46ex640/4505-6482_7-35118516.html

Related products:
KDL-40EX640
KDL-55EX640

Calibration report using these settings:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/104556939/Sony-Kdl-46ex640

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Sony KDL-46EX640 in a dim room via the HDMI input at 1080p/24 resolution. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Home menu>Settings>Picture & Display

--Picture Adjustments menu--
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 9
Picture: 97
Brightness: 51
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Sharpness: Min
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1

-Advanced Settings submenu-
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Black Corrector: Off
Gamma: 0
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
LED Motion Mode: Off
White Balance: [see below]

-White Balance submenu-
R-Gain: -5
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: -5
R-Bias: -2
G-Bias: +2
B-Bias: +3

--Screen menu--
Wide Mode: Full
Auto Wide: Off
4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]
Auto Display Area: Off
Display Area: Full Pixel
Horizontal Center: 0 [grayed out]
Vertical Center: 0 [grayed out]

--Home Menu>Settings>Preferences--

--Scene Select menu--
General

--Eco menu--
Power Saving: Off

Note: This post was edited by its original author Added calibration report on 11/09/2012 at 3:35 PM PT

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony KDL-46EX640 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony KDL-46EX640 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just got a KLV-60EX640...
by defuentes / April 15, 2013 4:47 AM PDT

Which I believe is the exact same model only for other countries, its 60' so it's no listed in the review.
I used these setting to start my calibration and they are pretty close to what I got from my DVE HD Basics Blu-ray, since I use the same HDMI input for all sources because all my devices are connected to an Amplifier I had to compromise a little after my initial results with Blu-ray; I ended up:

--Picture Adjustments menu--
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 3
Picture: 95
Brightness: 52
Color: 51
Hue: 0
Sharpness: 2
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1

The rest I left the same as you, you were spot on with all the color settings and the white balance, I actually got a 52 setting for Color from the DVE HD Basics Blu-ray but the faces were too red, I have to watch more content I may end up in 50 like you. I got a 51 for Brightness from my DVE but shadow detail was too low so I
My main concern now is the backlight setting, I tried it at 9 but its way too bright and the spotlighting in the corners gets worse every point you go up, I even tried setting it at 2 but you lose too much shadow detail. I would very much like you opinion on these matter/setting please.
The only other issue I'm haven is that I'm experiencing some judder when playing digital archives (mkv, mp4, avi) from my PC with XBMC installed on it but I believe it's a matter of configuration, I have to do some research.
All in all I'm happy with the TV; it's a great upgrade from my 6 year old LG LCD 52', the blacks are better and the color accuracy too, I would have liked a plasma to get perfect picture but I would have had to spend a lot more to get that, I got an amazing deal on this set.
Thank you for the review and the settings Mr. Pendlebury.

Collapse -
Screen Menu
by znich2 / December 1, 2014 11:35 AM PST

Hello,

Thank you for these settings! I can get everything you listed except for "Display Area" The default option is Normal
or I can choose +1 or -1. I'm probably one of a handful using a antenna so I believe that's why the Full Pixel is not
available?

Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.