Cameras forum

Sony hx20 vs Canon G12

by priyanka_05 / December 20, 2012 12:01 PM PST

I want to buy a camera for myself. I am not a very technical person when it comes to camera but at the same time i want best pictures to come in the range of these two cameras ( Sony Hx20 and Canon G 12).
Please suggest ..

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony hx20 vs Canon G12
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony hx20 vs Canon G12
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Still vs. Video
by PistonCupChampion / December 20, 2012 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: Sony hx20 vs Canon G12

The Canon will have an edge in image quality because it has a larger sensor and a slightly brighter lens. It also has an optical viewfinder and lots of external buttons and dials for faster adjustment of often-used controls. It has a hotshoe to accept an external flash for more professional-looking indoor images.

The Sony is obviously smaller. It has more automatic gadgets, a much more versatile if less bright lens, and higher quality HD video.

Both are good cameras, aimed at different users. The Canon is more for the photography enthusiast, who wants a lot of control in a smaller size than a DSLR. The Sony is more for the casual shooter, who wants lots of features and would prefer to "point and shoot."

Collapse -
more specific questions
by priyanka_05 / December 20, 2012 3:21 PM PST
In reply to: Still vs. Video

so when canon has better image quality with 10x zoom and sony has 20x zoom which one will give better picture if I shoot following:
Faces and picture when i have a party at home?
When i go outing and wanna capture scenic beauty?
Pictures are shoot at night with less light?
Pictures are shot with moving hands, can blur be avoided?
HD Video ?
Above all which brand is more reliable?

Please suggest which one to choose, I am really confused as i am still a new person to photography so get inclined to Sony hx20 as its bundeled with features but at the same point still wanna enjoy high end features of Canon G12 as people call it mini SLR and i wanna explore it too!

Collapse -
Sensor size and lens aperture
by PistonCupChampion / December 21, 2012 4:34 AM PST

As I said before, a larger sensor and a larger aperture lens will provide higher quality. It captures more light, which is what photography is all about. When you have less light to work with, the bigger senor and lens capture it more easily. Whether the difference between the G12 and HX20V is enough, that's up to the individual person to decide. I personally am aware of the difference but trade off the slighter better image quality for a more compact camera.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.