TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Sony Home Theater Problem: Protect mode keeps coming on

by voodoodoodoo / August 5, 2007 3:04 PM PDT

I got a Sony HT-DDW670 Home Theater in a Box system a while ago via Ebay. The sound is good, but we keep having a problem when trying to watch movies. Often, the dialogue seems much quieter than the music and other efx, so we turn up the sound to hear it. But then if there's a loud part, the sound goes off and the unit flashes "Protect", then turns itself off.

We don't have the sound up particularly high -- maybe 40-50. Yet it will continually do this. Could this be a problem with some of the speaker wiring? And, in general, do others have this problem where dialogue is much quieter than music? Perhaps there's some setting that I've missed.

Forgive me, I'm a relative newbie with home theater...

thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Home Theater Problem: Protect mode keeps coming on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Home Theater Problem: Protect mode keeps coming on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony HT-DDW670 Home Theater in a Box System
by voodoodoodoo / August 5, 2007 3:07 PM PDT

One other note -- after it turns itself off, if we press power it will turn on again immediately and if the volume is a little lower, will continue to work fine. It's just those times when we want to hear the dialogue...

Collapse -
Have you balanced you speakers???
by jcrobso / August 6, 2007 1:39 AM PDT

There should a routine to balance your speakers.
My guess is that the center speaker level is to low, you need raise the level of just the center speaker. Look thought the owners manual on how to do this. John

Collapse -
I had this same problem...
by Dabonka1 / August 6, 2007 11:01 AM PDT

You have a "crossed" wire somewhere {or a basic short circuit}... For instance... With mine... I split and spliced 2 seperate wires {B/BW} together to make a longer run... and the splice where I put electric tape slipped off/came undone and they were touching each other {bare}. Thats why my system went into protect mode {for obvious reasons}... check all/any splices and where the speaker wires connect... I can almost guarantee this is your problem.

Since I use mine mainly for movies I have the center to + 10 {or whatever the max is} everything else around +3/4 if I remember correctly.

Honestly it's not a bad little system at all for the price! I love mine!!!

Good luck!

John Dabonka

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.