Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony Hi-8 camera Playback Problem

by dolmos / November 30, 2008 12:48 AM PST

I have a s Sony DCR-TRV460 digital camcorder that uses Hi8 tapes. I am having trouble playing back tapes that I've recorded. I had shot some important family stuff on these tapes and had previously played it back on the camcorder. But now, months later, it won't play back on the camera, or on TV, and I've tried what seems like every possible solution. Is there a problem with the camera, the tape? I want to transfer these tapes to DVD to avoid losing this stuff. Suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Hi-8 camera Playback Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Hi-8 camera Playback Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Won't [lay back ....
by Papa Echo / November 30, 2008 6:46 AM PST

....provides very little information on the problem...
So, when you play back, what is seen on the LCD ? Do you get a blue screen ? Do you hear sounds ? DSo you see anything - like menu buttons, time lapsed, time remainng, etc. ...Fast forward a bit - and try whether it plays... Have you tried a tape head cleaner ? Is DISP off ?

Collapse -
Won't play back
by dolmos / November 30, 2008 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Won't [lay back ....

The LCD shows it is playing, but the time lapse counter is blank, as if there's no tape in the machine. When I fast forward it is still blank, so it looks like nothing is on the tape. But I know there is something on the tape because this has happened before with the same tape, it played, then it didn't. Have not tried tape head cleaner and afraid I don't know what DISP is...

Collapse -
Just asomeclarifications:
by Papa Echo / November 30, 2008 3:18 PM PST
In reply to: Won't play back

If nothing is shown on the LCD, how do you know the tape is playing ? If the time lapsed is not showing, not even "-- -- -- " ? What color is the screen ? When younfast forward, do you see anything on the screen ?

"DISP" refers to "Display", i.e. what is shown on the LCD - on all or most cameras/camcorders, it can be switched off....

Do try the head cleaner....

There should be nothing wrong with the tape. The problem is with the camcorder.

Collapse -
by dolmos / November 30, 2008 10:29 PM PST

sorry, I do get the -- ---- -- on the display, plus the play, fast forward, etc. The counter just doesn't change even though I know there's stuff on the tape. Thanks for the tips.

Collapse -
Make sure...
by Papa Echo / December 1, 2008 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: clarifying

...the tape is moving. Let the camcorder "Play" for, say, 1 minute, take it out and see whether the take-up spool has taken any tape...If not,then belts and rollers are defective and need to be changed. If tape is being spooled up, then the head may be defective....or dirty. What color is shown at the LCD ?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.