Camcorders forum

Question

SONY HDR-XR260VE HANDICAM

by yorickk / October 19, 2012 1:04 PM PDT

I have just purchased a Sony HDR-XR260VE Handicam which has a Hard Disk. There is provision for downloading the videos from the hard disk in the camera to an external portable hard disk. It is necessary to purchase a connector from the them at $AU29 which plugs into the usb mini b ouput port and has a female standard usb connector on the other end. Before I eventually purchased the Sony connector I tried using a number of different combinations of connectors and found that none of them work. It is possible that Sony may have intentionally crossed wires in their usb mini b output and that this is corrected in the lead they sell. However I wondered if anyone has found a combination that works - may save others from having to spend $AU29.00

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SONY HDR-XR260VE HANDICAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SONY HDR-XR260VE HANDICAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What if it's not just wires?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2012 2:30 AM PDT

Some of those have a chip in a small board. 29 bucks sounds not so bad for a feature where you don't have to lug around a PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Sony HDR0XR260VE usb connectors
by yorickk / October 21, 2012 9:07 PM PDT

Thanks Bob for your response

The female USB on the end of Sony connector if anything is not a long as the female USB on a standard connector so its hard to see that there could be a chip inside.

If I use the mini b to male USB connector from my WD external portable hard disc and insert it into same receptable on the camera that the Sony one goes into and plug it into my PC it launches the Sony software just like it does if I use the male usb plug in the hand strap. However if I plug the normal mini b connector into the camera with nothing connected to it nothing happens but if I plug in the Sony connector in with nothing connected it is recognised the by the camera. The Sony plug must have some connectivity additional to the mini b plug in order for the camera to recognise it.

But as you say spending $30 beats lugging a heavy PC or laptop around.

Collapse -
More on the Sony USB Connector
by yorickk / October 22, 2012 6:31 PM PDT

I noted that although the mini b plug has 5 pins the standard plug on the other end has only 4 so I did some internet research and found a web site that describes what is in the usb connectors.

This extract from the web site may explain things:

Pin x of mini-USB connector may be not connected, (may be) connected to GND or (may be) used as attachment identification at some portable devices. This pin is numbered x here due to historical reasons.

Pin Name Cable color Description
1 VCC Red +5 VDC
2 D- White Data -
3 D+ Green Data +
x ID May be N/C, GND or used as an attached device presence indicator (shorted to GND with resistor)
4 GND Black Ground

This suggests that the Sony lead is using the x pin for recognition purposes

This will be my last word on this subject

Cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.