Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony HDR-PJ790V vs Canon VIXIA HF G30

by hconant / May 2, 2013 9:31 AM PDT

I am debating between these two similarly priced cameras. One thing I can't determine is if the Canon takes stills. It seems to have a short burst of a few frames it calls something, but that isn't a still. The Canon has a better lesn with wider range, and dual memory cards. The Sony has a nifty little LED illuminator for a pinch. The projector and night shot are of no use to me. Any opinions.?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony HDR-PJ790V vs Canon VIXIA HF G30
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony HDR-PJ790V vs Canon VIXIA HF G30
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you for providing the short list
by boya84 / May 3, 2013 1:10 PM PDT

Lens filter diameter (larger is better)
HF G30: 58mm
PJ-790: 52mm
Winner: Canon

Imaging chip (larger is better)
HF G30: 1/2.84 inch
PJ-790: 1/2.88 inch

Still image resolution:
HF G30: Photo: Approx. 2.91 Megapixels (2136 x 1362)
PJ-790: JPEG: 24.1 Megapixel, 6554 x 3680 (16:9) or 18.1 Megapixel, 4912 x 3680 (4:3)
Winner: Sony
(The easiest way to understand the camcorder capabilities is to read the specs or the manual - specs are at the end.)

Video recording system:
HF G30: AVCHD or MP4 various standard frame rates and resolutions (all high definition)
PJ-790: AVCHD, MP4 various standard frame rates and resolutions; standard definition
Depends on your requirements.

Optical zoom:
HF G30: 20x
PJ-790: 10x

I think the Canon wins unless the still resolution is that important. I think the surround sound mic is not so useful; neither is the projector - but the night shot is interesting.

Collapse -
HFG30 vs PJ790
by calvin0416 / November 5, 2013 8:28 AM PST

I'd also like to add some more comparisons.

The HFG30 is $1700+taxes which is a very hefty price compared to other similar models minus some of the extra features the Canon has that can be had for nearly $700 less.

The Sony PJ790 has 96GB of internal memory whereas the Canon HFG30 has no internal memory.
Internal memory is useful in that you can't and won't ever forget or misplace your SD cards. You can also use it to store files and movies and such.

The HF30 with its dual slots does allow for relay recording (meaning if your slot 1 card is full, it can start recording onto slot 2 card seamlessly). It also allows for you to record in both AVCHD and MP4 simultaneously if you needed to do that (wherease the PJ790 does not allow simultaneous recording).

The HFG30 also allows recording of MP4 files at a higher 35Mbps bit rate vs the 28Mbps bit rate of the Sony.

The Sony comes with Night Shot mode which is always an intriguing and useful option if you ever record in very low light or darkness but don't want to use the camera light. It's that very cool looking military green tone where you can see people in darkness.

The HFG30 has 5 assignable custom buttons. This is very useful in that you can assign some frequently used functions to these buttons so that you can access them in 1 touch. It's often cumbersome to have to go back into menu settings, browse through all the folders to change/adjust settings. So these assignable buttons are very convenient. The Sony does not have any assignable buttons but it does have a quick access function on the front jog dial (but not as convenient still as the assignable buttons on the canon).

Also, the canon has a jog dial for the viewfinder. This means when looking through the viewfinder only, the Canon allows you to go into menu settings using the jog dial. The Sony doesn't have a jog dial. So if you are using the viewfinder only, you can only zoom in and out. If you wanted to adjust settings, you would have to pop open the flip out screen again and use the touchscreen to browse through the menu.

The Sony IMAGE STABILIZATION is hands down the best in this market. The SteadyShot technology (swivelling lens) makes for smooth recordings even when walking or moving around. Give the PJ790 the edge in IS over the HFG30.

HFG30 has faster autofocus. There are 3 options in the Canon's that allows for instant AF, fast, and medium. The PJ790 at times can take awhile to find it's focusing right (when in autofocus mode). I find that manual focus is better and quicker, but sometimes I need to rely on the AF when I don't have the time to do it manually .

The projector screen does have it's uses. While it is a luxury that isn't necessary, it can be very useful when you want to present something without a computer/TV present. Simply use a wall or any flat surface and you want watch /view pictures and videos for all to see. Great for sleepovers and nighttimes when you just aim at the ceiling while in bed and enjoy the memories with your friends.

The PJ790 also turns on and off automatically by simply opening and closing the flip out screen or viewfinder. It's rather convenient because you don't have to press a button to turn on or off the device. It also has a manual power button on the inside of the fold out screen. Some might prefer that the device doesn't turn on and off when you flip open or close the screen as in the HFG30. You need to manually press a power button on HFG30 to turn it on or off. Depends on your liking. I personally prefer the auto power on with open flip out screen. It's very convenient and quick.

The HFG30 is larger and heavier. Not that the PJ790 is a small camcorder itself. It's also pretty heavy, but if size matters to you, then just be aware the HFG30 is a larger camcorder. Not your typical camcorder size. But both are incredibly solid and sturdy builds. They feel strong and solid.

The HFG30 is a couple hundred dollars more than the PJ790 and offers a little more options. If money isn't an issue for you, then the HFG30 is for you. If you're looking more for something less expensive yet still offers competitive quality and options, then the Sony PJ790 (or even better, the PJ760 which is identical to the PJ790 except for the mic and the brighter projector light, but will save you $500 compared to the HFG30), then the Sony is for you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.