Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony Handycam repair

by hankster007 / April 25, 2005 10:18 AM PDT

I've got a Sony Handycam CCD TR86 from the mid-late 90's and there's a tape stuck inside. The camera won't eject the tape-- I believe the tape is at fault but I don't want to force it open.

Is there an easy way to get my tape back--it's got the birth of my second daughter and other important events--or do I pay for a repair?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Handycam repair
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Handycam repair
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony Handycam CCD TR86 - stuck tape
by ChrisBullock / May 22, 2005 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Handycam repair

I have exactly the sameproblem with the same Sony model.. would love ot know how to get it fixed without significant cost. Thanks

Collapse -
CCD TR86 stuck tape - Sony Handycam problem
by spikepen / May 25, 2005 2:21 PM PDT

Hi. I have the same camcorder and it worked fine for the last 6 out of 7 years, but recently it started to have similar mechanical problems to what you're describing. Finally it just stopped loading the tapes and not playing or recording the tapes either. I took it to BestBuy for an estimate: Beyond Economical Repair. basically, the whole motor transport unit has to be replaced if you start getting problems such as you are describing. I would count my blessings that your tapes haven't been mangled by the machine. have the service center assess the situation, but I can almost guarantee they will send it back to you unrepaired. Since 8mm is a dying format anyway, i borrow/bought one from Radio Shack to tape an event of my son's, then used it to transfer the tapes to my DVD burner and then returned the unit the next week for a full refund. The new 8mm's aren't even worth the money. Get a direct to DVD camcorder if you can swing the money. I hate to abandon 8mm after 7 years and 4 hours of really good family tapes, but burning them to DVD and waiting till we get a new DVD camcorder will just have to do. If you look at what's available now, miniDV seems to be the dominant format for tape camcorders be they analog or digital, but miniDV will probably go the same way that 8mm has, i.e. extinction. anyway, best of luck, but I'd transfer those tapes to DVD as soon as you can. all the best. spike p.

Collapse -
CCD TR86 stuck tape
by jcrobso / May 26, 2005 5:56 AM PDT

I agree with most of what you have said.
The problem with DVD recordes is realibilty, Have you ever made a cd or DVD and had a problem with the burn process and end up creating a coaster? There have been some posts in this fourm about this happining and loosing a priceless video. Even if a tape gets mangled it can still played once you get pass the bad part.
You concept of "borrowing" is one way to copy the 8mm tapes. Could also check e-bay for a used camera.
I think that MiniDV is going to be aroud along time since it is the fromat that the Pro's use and beacuse of the cost of pro gear they don't change formats very often many are still using Beta gear even though VHS won the home format war 20 years ago. Regular Video or HD video still uses the MiniDV tape format.
4 years ago I would have told someone to buy a Sony 8mmD8 cameracorder, today and forseeable future I would recomend a MiniDV cameracorder. John

Collapse -
computer transfer?
by pcdiamond / May 4, 2006 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: CCD TR86 stuck tape

hey guys I have the sony handycam ccd-tr86 too, I was wondering how I can put my videos from it, onto the computer... if thats even possible? Thanks alot

Collapse -
sony handycam ccd-sc55 - tape stuck
by ingo pop / April 25, 2007 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: CCD TR86 stuck tape

I left the unit (bought around 1997) unused for over a year. In trying to get it going again, this video camera does not function and has a tape stuck in it. I'm about to toss it, but would like to get the tape out of the unit. Any advice from anyone on this forum on how to do it without breaking the camera apart ? In reading other postings, I noticed this to be a problem with similar handycams.

Collapse -
Has anyone tried
by boya84 / April 26, 2007 1:52 AM PDT

contacting Sony or an authorized Sony repair shop?

Collapse -
sony handycam ccd-sc55
by D78576 / May 18, 2007 12:30 AM PDT

I have the same machine and the same exact problem. I have not used it for couple years and now it does not even power-on. I am curious if you already resolved the problem and if so how?

Collapse -
SONY HANDICAM CCD-SC55
by ingo pop / May 18, 2007 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: sony handycam ccd-sc55

Sorry to say, I'm tossing this unit. No service center wants to touch it claiming parts no longer available. But they were able to remove the stuck tape. Sony Technical Support has ignored my messages seeking advice. As I'm looking for a new camcorder, I'm definitely staying away from Sony line.

Collapse -
I agree...
by VideoVampire2000 / July 8, 2007 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: SONY HANDICAM CCD-SC55

I think sony handycams have a cool design, and alot of cool features, but I've had like 5 of them, all different and they've all bit the dust within under a year...
I think this may be a stunning example of "planned obsolesence" at its very finest.

a good way to get anykind of video onto your pc is via the wonderpro tv catalist...you get a port that hooks into your pc and can hook either s-video or tri-color chords to anything from a camcorder to a vcr.
*anyways*

Im personally kinda leary of the new mini-dvd cams...seems to me like theyd skip if you moved around wile filming.

I think Im gonna get me a mini-dv next time, they only get one hour of footage per tape (as a opposed to the hour and a half with 8mm and VHS-C)but its better than buying a new camera once a month!

Collapse -
Best advice for tape jam.
by drdu / July 30, 2008 3:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
What a great solution
by bibzie / January 8, 2009 8:04 AM PST

Hello, just read your solution to unjam my Sony 8mm camcorder. Thank you for taking the time to post this. It worked and I'm unfrustrated now. My family and I thank you!

Collapse -
Don't whine & Don't Fret ! ! ! drdu's advice WORKS ! ! !
by Delaware Dave / February 5, 2010 10:43 PM PST

Thank you very much drdu !!!
I was ready to trash my SONY 8mm/Digital camcorder (as I'm sure many people have done)

But your simple solution DID THE TRICK!

I guess Sony's Tech Support doesn't answer, because they want you to buy a new one.

Collapse -
Best Way
by ThEFlipAddict / November 8, 2011 4:26 PM PST

Dude thank you sooooooooooo much i couldnt find the charger for 2 years and the battery was dead so a tape was in it. I finally found it and it would say to eject the tape even though it still had like 30 mins left on it. I did what you said and it worked perfectly. so ya thnx BTW i got a CCD-TR93 Handycam Video 8

Collapse -
This solution works
by LevLeviev / February 16, 2012 12:02 AM PST
Angry
Collapse -
SANSUNG CAMCORDER
by kvcharles / November 7, 2008 4:21 AM PST

MY CASSETTE IS STUCK IN TE CAMCORDER CAN YOU HELP ME TO GET IT OUT.

Collapse -
Tape deck problems....
by Papa Echo / November 7, 2008 5:33 PM PST
In reply to: SANSUNG CAMCORDER

This is a very old thread...
However, try this:

After pushing the "open button" or whatever, wait....yes, wait ! I have an old SONY Digital Video8 handycam which activates its tape popup mechanism only about 2 minutes later....it seems that something need to be "charged"- a capacitor maybe, to supply power ....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.