Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony Handycam problems

by broadi123 / March 7, 2007 3:12 PM PST

I am having troble viewing videos taken from the handycam on my TV. The handycam is a Sony, model - DCR-TRV740E . I am able to play it back correctly in my handycam. The problem comes in only when I connect it to a TV - I just see rolling pictures and no stable images. Any advice on how to go about debugging the problem would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Handycam problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Handycam problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have an "E" model...
by boya84 / March 7, 2007 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: Sony Handycam problems

Where are you when you playback - as in what country?

Collapse -
Re : You have an "E" model...
by broadi123 / March 8, 2007 7:38 AM PST

I am in the US and I made sure (from the options menu) that the format for the playback is NTSC. I tried switching to the PAL format as well, but I see the same rolling screens.

Collapse -
Was the tape recorded in PAL...
by boya84 / March 8, 2007 8:21 AM PST

and you are trying to play back in NTSC?

Can you transfer the video to a computer?

Collapse -
Re: Was the tape recorded in PAL
by broadi123 / March 8, 2007 9:48 AM PST

The tape was recorded in NTSC and I am trying to play it back in NTSC.

I dont think I can transfer it to a computer. (The video is on a physical tape).

Collapse -
according to your camera's manual,
by boya84 / March 8, 2007 12:28 PM PST

the DCR-TRV740 has a DV port. It is right next to the analog AV port you are using to connect to the TV. This is the same as IEEE1394 or FireWire or iLink. If your computer has a FireWire/iLink/IEEE1394 port and you have video editing software (Win XP and Macs come bundled with), you can import the video to your computer - and as far as I know, the editing application should not care if the video is NTSC or PAL. Since it plays back OK on your camera's screen, it should import to your 'puter just fine.

FireWire cables - as consumer cables go - are not cheap. I use Monster or Belkin. 4-pin on the camcorder side; typically 6 pin on the computer side. US$25 or so for a five footer. So yes, you absolutely can transfer video from that camera to your 'puter.

As far as why the TV is throwing up on it? Haven't a clue - could be lots of reasons. But I think it is in the PAL/NTSC translation somewhere.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.