Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony Handycam issue - repair/replace?

by mondo_mike / December 16, 2004 2:45 AM PST

my DCR-TRV19 just stopped recording video. audio only, with a black picture.
any ideas?
it is just over a year old (!), and in relatively good condition - not heavily used.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Handycam issue - repair/replace?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Handycam issue - repair/replace?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
playback works, though
by mondo_mike / December 19, 2004 11:46 PM PST

playback of video/audio is fine - anyone have any ideas here?

Collapse -
finally repaired
by mondo_mike / January 10, 2006 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: playback works, though

after over a year, my camcorder is finally back in working condition.

i used the repair info posted towards the bottom of this thread, and sony sent me a UPS label, and sent the camera back 10 days later repaored

thanks very much to all who posted on this thread, and to the legal folks, as well.

mondo out

Collapse -
Free Repair from Sony
by ntnwwnet / December 12, 2008 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: playback works, though

I just got off of the phone with a Sony customer service rep, and everything was taken care of. Sony required a credit card, but the rep helped me out and had UPS send me a shipping label.

**Sony is aware of the problem and is fixing it for free (except shipping costs.**

If you have a different model number camera, enter in your model number and use the left hand menu for "News and Articles." Find an article titled "Important Notice About Your Sony

Collapse -
Sony DCR-TRV19 stops recording Video
by FloydA / December 26, 2004 3:26 AM PST

I have the same problem. I got my TRV19 for Christmas last year. I only recorded 4 tapes since then. When I took it out for this Christmas the video was dead. The playback works normally but you can't see any video on the screen or the viewfinder. It does record the audio. I spoke with Sony and was told that the cost to repair was $269 plus shipping and handling just for parts! The parts are only 90 day warranty. The camera labor is just within the one year warranty period. That will total more than half the original cost. I bought this camers after using a TR6 for 11 years without a problem. Perhaps there is a factory defect in the video. I have babied this camera since day one. Does anyone else have experience with this problem with the TRV19? Perhaps we can get Sony to extend the warranty to cover this defect.

Collapse -
Same problem with DCR-TRV22
by djslack / December 27, 2004 2:47 AM PST

I had the same problem with my 10 month old DCR-TRV22. I also had only recorded 4 tapes. This is absolutely ridiculous although I feel that complaining to Sony, unless you get hold of the right person, will not do much good.

Perhaps it would do to get a consumer advocate together with all the people we can find having this issue and combine us all into one force. I have seen enough references to this problem online that it may qualify as a design/manufacturing defect. If I don't have any luck over the phone with Sony today then I may write a letter and get everyone who is experiencing this problem to join me.

Collapse -
trv19 failure
by FloydA / January 7, 2005 9:12 AM PST

That sounds like a good plan. I spoke with a supervisor and Sony checked the records and don't find a problem. I think that they just don't want to find a problem. Lets get everyone to complain and post in as many forums as possible. Eventually Sony will have to address the issue.

Collapse -
Sony DCR-TRV22 Black Screen failure
by auzins / January 17, 2005 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: trv19 failure

Hi! Just had the same thing happen - black LCD & viewfinder when trying to record. It's my father in law's unit (which I helped him purchase, along with an identical unit for my university age son).
Very disappointed to discover that this problem seems fairly common (appears to show up in quite a few postings on the net).
I had always been skeptical and felt that SONY was only a well marketed brand but they almost had me starting to believe that their products really were better - now it's clear that it's only marketing. Last SONY product for me. (And I was very actively looking at a SONY digital camera for my daughter's birthday.)

Collapse -
Blank Screen SONY DCR-TRV22
by sergio_2k2 / March 22, 2005 9:42 PM PST

Same problem with my Sony DCR-TRV22. Blank LCD screen and viewfinder while recording. Can only play tapes.

Collapse -
Your sceen problem
by buchheit1 / February 5, 2006 5:07 PM PST

Call the 800 number for Sony and tell them about your screen problem and they will send you a prepaid label through your e-mail and you just send your camcorder to them and if it is the CCD that is causing the problem they will fix it for free and ship it to you free. They had some problems with the CCD in some of these model but i they will fix for free if that is the problem.

Collapse -
handycam with black screen
by akayareal / June 16, 2006 12:44 PM PDT

Have you found out any information as to why your camcorder is not working? My handycam is doing the same exact thing. I hardly ever used it. The audio works fine, but while I record, the screen is black. I can only watch previously recorded tapes.

Collapse -
sony trv22
by worley84 / July 8, 2006 1:54 AM PDT

I'm also seeing black on my viewfinder for a camera we used only for special occasions. My question to anyone who has bought this camera - has sony step up to the plate to replace your camera?

Collapse -
Sony camcorder repair
by chgtex / July 9, 2006 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: sony trv22

I called the following number that I received from this website with a notice that Sony will repair, free of charge, cameras with black screen(no image in camera mode) from 10-3-05 through 10-2-07. Call 1-866-703-7669, Sony Custormer Information Services Center. I called, explained the problem. They had me try a few things, then agreed to send me, through e-mail, a shipping label to send the camera back to them. I sent it and received it about 3 weeks later, as good as new. We used for graduation and vacation already. C.C.

Collapse -
black screen : SONY TRV 265 model
by vydehi / July 1, 2007 7:03 PM PDT

same Problem with my camcorder too. black screen appears when I want to record something . but I can play the previously recorded ones.

want to know if it can be repaired .

Collapse -
by bkfraser / June 7, 2005 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: trv19 failure

I have a TRV33 and I am having the same issue. As to whether or not Sony thinks this is an issue, they must because under the FAQ's it has a way to try and troubleshoot the problem.

It didn't work though.

Collapse -
Same issue...
by skaruturi / June 16, 2005 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: TRV33

I have a TRV33 with the exact same problem. The screen is blank in the camera mode. The VCR mode is fine. In the camera mode, it still seems to be recording the audio.

I spoke to sony and they asked me to send it to a service center adn that it would cost me 269.00 . This is a rip off especially for a product barely over an year. I have lodged a complaint with sony at the below phone number. I urge u all to do the same.

ph 1-800-222-sony

Collapse -
Sony AKA " The Black Screen Company "
by tnj1978 / September 11, 2005 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Same issue...

I own a DCR TRV350! or shall I say I own a Piece of TRASH I have had my camcorder for about 2 yrs and like many of you guys only used it about 7 or 8 times. I took special care of my camera, because I paid TOO much money to treat it poorly.. After all the hard work and special treatment guess what, My camcorder doesn't work .I have the Blair Witch model.. or shall I say the Midnight Model!! Black screen with sound only.. If I wanted sound only I would have purchasd a "RADIO" at a much cheaper price. I will contact the lawyer listed and EVERYone else should also. Thanks for listening, A very UNsatisfied Sony Camcorder Owner. !!

Collapse -
Same problem
by charlyking / March 15, 2007 12:46 AM PDT

I have a sony DCR-TRV255 and I have had it for about a yr and a half. I don't use it alot but I use it for my gigs as I'm a singer. I really look after my stuff and it's in perfect condition. Switched it on one day and the recording screen was blank and I was only able to record sound. It's obviously a big, common problem so I think its about time they sort it out or take it watchdog!

Collapse -
It's CCD Needs replacementd Replacement
by davygarg / June 27, 2007 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

The CCD Sensor ICX281 is gone. You need to replace that.

Davy Garg

Collapse -
Same. TRV-33
by tastarr / September 28, 2005 3:32 AM PDT

Same thing. I found out when I was shopping for a new camera and saw the reference to BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH. How pathetic of Sony.

I spoke with a Japanese friend in Japan who told me in Japan, they have a legend that Sony dies after the warranty expires.

I do not plan to buy any Sony product until they admit this and fix it. American friends I have that work in Japanese electronics companies tell me this sort of thing happens all the time. The Execs do not want to hear about a defect so they strike comments form meeting minutes, ignore it and chastise anyone who acknowledges it.

The best way to fight this is simple: Do not buy Sony. What a shame.

Collapse -
How to do something about it....
by CraigMW / September 28, 2005 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Same. TRV-33

So, I'm in a similar situation. But, rather than taking it from them, I'm fighting back. I've posted some negative reviews on explaining this issue in these reviews. Others are now following suit. The way I figure it, if the places like Consumer Reports are not going to spread the word that Sony is unreliable, then we the consumers need to get out the word. On Amazon alone, I figure I've caused 8 people to reconsider a purchase of one brand of current Sony camcorders. This means that Sony lost 10 times the amount of sales simply because of one former customer. Plus, reviews show up at lots of other websites that sell through the portal. So, who knows how many sales have been lost because of my negative posting. Others have been doing a similar job of letting other consumers know that Sony is not a trusted brand anymore. Yes, lawsuits are one thing. But the way to really make the point with them that this is not an acceptable business practice is to hurt their sales and let everyone know that Sony is NOT THE RELIABLE BRAND IT ONCE WAS!

Collapse -
Sony DCR TRV 33 Black Screen
by bvason / October 8, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

Two years old, records audio fine. Playback is fine for both audio and video.
Sony authorized repair: over $250 - I declined.
Thank you all for your posts! I am vindicated and affirmed after spending months defending myself from
accusatiuons of dropping it!

Collapse -
Sony Digitial Camera Class Action Litigation
by StevenBerk / October 19, 2005 1:25 AM PDT

Hi, my name is Steven Berk. I am an attorney in Washington, DC, who specializes in representing consumers who have purchased defective products from technology companies. I am currently working on cases of that kind against Sony (Camcorders) and JVC. I have been investigating compliants concerning Sony Digital Cameras. In connection with that investigation, it would be very useful if I could interview you about your experience with the LCD Failure/CCD Problem . If you are interested, please email me at or call me at 202-789-3960. Thanks for your consideration.

Collapse -
Sony CCD
by giantfanvt / June 29, 2006 2:52 PM PDT

My camcorder is an 8mm Sony CCD V5 with vertical sync problems. The viewfinder has a raster but a scrambled picture. Is there any current legal activity that might affect this model?

Collapse -
Sony DCR-HC32 black screen
by wendymckee / February 6, 2008 3:17 AM PST

Hi. I too am very disappointed with Sony products. Our video camera is only 2 years old and the screen went red and then black. I have an extended warranty but it is a rip off as well. You have to have original everything, package a certain way or they'll return it untouched, etc. , etc.... It's virtually impossible to get it fixed to say the least. I will never buy sony again.

Collapse -
by shreepada / December 28, 2006 5:53 PM PST
In reply to: Same. TRV-33

I bought a SONY DCR-TRV265E last year in the Middle East from a reputed showroom which stocks SONY electronic products.

About 3 months ago when I used the handycam, it worked just fine but last week, in response to my activating the ?record? button, the screen went blank. At the same time when I activate the ?playback? button, the picture, from the tape inside, is very good.
In short I am not able to do any recording.

Can you please send me a solution to this problem and enlighten me as to why this is happening?

I live in Bangalore, South India, and would appreciate it much if you could kindly give me the location of your legally authorized agent.

Thanks and regards,

Collapse -
Get it repaired in India
by Rachappag / January 5, 2007 12:14 PM PST

I think the repair cost will be very less in india compared to US.
If you would like to get it repaired in US, you need to spend more than 250$( apart form shipping expense ). Another 100$, you will get a new one.
My camcorder got same problem now. Luckly I have an extended warrany and might escape.

Visit Sony serice center and get a quote for your repair ( they need to replace CCD). There are many locations in Bangalore. You will get good service since labour cost is not too much.

Collapse -
Resolution on Sony Handycam Battery Charging issue? (HC20)
by moose186 / December 16, 2007 2:28 AM PST

Did anyone find a suitable resolution to this battery charging issue on the Sony Handycams? I still have this problem and haven't been able to get any definite answers. Seems like some people just used external chargers and that worked, others seemed to still have issues with this. Anyone have any recommendations on the external chargers if this was the solution?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
same problem with DCV-TRV22
by hope80 / March 8, 2005 11:01 AM PST

I too am having the same problem. i have had my camera just under two years. the other day my husband went to use the camera to take a picture and there was nothing but the black screen. everything else on the camera seems to be working ok. i also have recorded about 4 tapes.

sony wants me to pay $269 for a problem that seems to happen for no reason and without warning. the camera cost me about $700. sony said because it is out of warranty (which is a year) i have no choice but to pay for a problem that seems wide spread with their cameras.

if anyone has anymore information on this problem please let me know. if enough of us get together and let sony know how disappointed we are, even the people who already paid may have a chance at getting their money back.

Collapse -
Solutions for this problem...
by dinesh72 / June 15, 2005 12:41 AM PDT

Hi All,

I have the same problem with my my TRV22, which just over 1 year old.

Has anyone overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Blank Screen on dcr-trv22
by hope80 / March 24, 2005 12:30 AM PST

I have contacted about this issue like djslack had suggested. The lady I spoke with told me to try talking to the manager were I bought the camera and get back to her on what he says. Well as you can guess he was of no help. So I will be calling troubleshooter back to fill them in.
I HIGHLY suggest that ANYONE with this problem (if you have had it fixed or not) contact about this issue. The more people that come forward the easier it will be to get refunds or have it fixed by Sony. This is clearly an issue with sony.
I certainly dont go around blowing $700 on things that cant even make it a full 2 years.
At go to the "contact us" link and either e-mail them or you can call their 800 number to speak to someone about the issue.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.