Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony Handycam DCR-DVD710

by Boratstronaut / February 24, 2008 12:48 AM PST

I was wondering if anyone had a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD710. I was supposed to get this for my birthday, but my dad won't get it for me unless he has a review for it. It has been long past that time and I am still waiting for a review. If anyone has a review, like a cnet review with the rating, pros, and cons, please send one to me. I have wanted this for a while now and the only way to get it is from a review. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Handycam DCR-DVD710
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Handycam DCR-DVD710
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DO NOT GET A DVD BASED CAMCORDER.
by boya84 / February 25, 2008 5:45 AM PST

If there is EVER any though of getting video onto a computer for editing you will stay away from ALL DVD based camcorders. The video is highly compressed and the resulting quality is poor.

Get a hard drive or flash memory camcorder if you must - and know that BEST video quality comes from miniDV based camcorders...

DO NOT GET A DVD BASED CAMCORDER.

Collapse -
I have to disagree with the DVD is bad comment
by Yirmin / May 14, 2008 6:03 AM PDT

Yes MiniDV gives you the best quality whether standard definition or High Def... BUT DVD/digital memory/Hard Drive... ALL compress more than miniDV tapes... in fact most of them compression will be the same between the different types of DVD, memory or hard drive. THe only difference is in how the manufacturers do it... but a Sony DVD will be just as compressed as the Sony Hard Drive recorder.... so the person yammering about DVD being the worst doesn't know what they are talking about... They are only right about MiniDV tapes being the best.

Collapse -
When the data is compressed that much
by boya84 / May 14, 2008 6:33 AM PDT

as the FIRST STEP of the video storage process, that means all the data that was discarded is gone. Forever. This is the problems with DVD based camcorders.

Because miniDV tape does not compress as much at the FIRST STEP of the video storage process, that means all the data is NOT discarded.

Video compression = discarded data = reduced video quality.

During the video edit process, the first thing is to get the video into the computer. When the DVD is ripped to get to the data, the video data that was discarded during the capture process has to be rebuilt from existing information (not the actual information - remember, that was discarded). A VOB file or VRO file on a DVD from a camcorder is not the same as the MPEG2 compressed data file from a hard drive or flash memory based camcorder.

And I am glad to know we agree that none of these will be as good as the DV (or HDV) video that miniDV, certain external hard drives, P2 cards or higher-end camera's optical discs store.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.