Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony DSC W80 Flash Issues

by jjg39069 / October 3, 2007 2:22 PM PDT

Has anyone had this problem....my < 2 mo. old Sony Cybershot DSC W80 camera is acting up. Over the weekend it just randomly started turning on and off. That has ceased....and now the flash doesn't work. Even when set to be flash always on I get no flash. Any ideas? I've tried the reformatting (or something like that) option to restore the camera to it's original settings and that didn't help. It hasn't been dropped or abused so I'm at a loss to what has happened. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DSC W80 Flash Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DSC W80 Flash Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony DSC W80 Flash Issues Sony DSC-W80 DSCW80
by dlamn8 / November 5, 2007 9:09 AM PST

hi - can't get my flash to work, period. have you taken decent pics until now? My Sony is worse than a disposable camera - How did you get the flash to work at all? "flash settings cannot be changed" is all I ever get - SONY should recall this "camera".

Collapse -
Sony DSC W80 Flash Issues Sony DSC-W80 DSCW80
by jjg39069 / November 5, 2007 9:24 AM PST

There are certain modes that you can't change the flash. I think night portrait is one of them. Try changing into a different mode and then changing your flash.

Will say my old clunky Nikon took better photos but I'm enjoying being able to fit my camera into my pocket now.

Collapse -
thanks. burst mode restricts flash too -
by dlamn8 / November 10, 2007 9:55 PM PST

hi - thanks. burst mode restricts flash too.
I like the camera better in non-burst mode -
( see string ). Thanks!

Collapse -
I solved the Flash seetings cannot be changed problem
by manassasinbursa / November 10, 2007 6:50 PM PST

Hi,

I do have a Sony DSCW80. I was not changing to Flash settings. It was saying that 'Flash Settings cannot be changed'.

After I get this message I tried couple of things and I found the solution.

All you have to do is either reset to default settings or

Step 1: Click HOME
Ste2 : Click MENU
Step 3: Format the internal memory.

Then I realized that It worked

hope that hepls you too

regards
Erhan
Bursa, Turkiye

Collapse -
thanks - you're right
by dlamn8 / November 10, 2007 9:50 PM PST

hi - thanks - you're right. I called SONY
last week. They told me to reset, as you describe. here's also what I discovered - the flash locks you out in Burst (fast frame) mode. The flash can't recover that fast. Out of Burst mode, you can control the Flash. Isn't it a much better camera with the flash?
Enjoy your W80! Thanks, Jim Connecticut, USA

Collapse -
Thanks for your help!
by hbramwell / March 7, 2008 2:32 PM PST
In reply to: thanks - you're right

I own a DSC-H9/B but I found the "INITIALIZE" in HOME key, SETTING, and MAIN SETTINGS. I pressed "OK" and the flash worked. I was going to bring it to Best Buy tomorrow but now I don't have to. Yeah!!!

Collapse -
CAMERA WORKS
by locochapin1 / April 12, 2008 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for your help!

I OWN A DSC-W80, AND FOR THE LONGEST TIME I COULDNT FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO. I TRIED FORMATTING THE PICTURES BUT ALL THAT DID WAS EXACTLY WHAT IT DOES...FORMAT THE MEMORY CARD. THEN I TRIED THE "INITIALIZE" METHOD AND THAT WORKED. SO U CAN TRY THAT.....HOPE THAT HELPS.

Collapse -
The Root Cause of the Problem.
by Mossembekker / May 3, 2008 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: CAMERA WORKS

I have a DSC-W200 and I had the same problem as the rest of you. I found out how the problem started to begin with. If you change the "Conversion Lens" settings under "Shooting Settings 1" for your camera to either "Tele" or "Wide," this would cause macro and flash to not function properly. I hope this information will help someone. This way, you guys will not need to keep resetting your date/time and other settings you may have saved in order to get everything back to normal. Take care everyone.

Collapse -
yeah it worked!
by jimiwapiri / January 31, 2009 7:35 PM PST

thanks, i own a DSC - H10 and did what you suggested.

Collapse -
Yes - works like posted! Thanks!
by swcourt1 / April 21, 2013 3:47 AM PDT

For my DSC-H9B - followed the steps to initialize and works like charm! Thanks for saving me the time and effort to chase this down!

Collapse -
sony flash
by bev6438 / October 21, 2011 1:10 PM PDT

Thanks so much for the info...was looking for a new camera today....u just saved me $300!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks- worked for me to
by eggbert666 / June 5, 2012 12:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
help
by BeantownBitch / August 12, 2012 6:45 AM PDT

Hi, found this forum trying to fix mine. I too have a DSC - H10 and my flash won't work. I tried everything suggested so far to no avail. asked my son to help me but he is being an ***. Sometimes it pops up still but doesn't flash. anyone know what i could try next before actually calling them? Thanks in advance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.