Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony DCR-TRV460 camcorder- Not recognized by computer. HELP?

by dsust / June 25, 2007 6:47 AM PDT

I own a Sony DCR-TRV460 camcorder.
With the camcorder came the Picture Package program which I installed on my computer in order to transfer my videos to the computer.
The problem is that using this program I can only watch and transfer the still pictures from the memory stick, but through the computer there is no trace for the videos saved on the cassette inside the camera.
I looked up the internet for reasons why I cannot view or transfer my videos from the cam to the comp, and I found someone saying I should download and install the USB Driver from the Sony web site
[over here:].
I installed the USB Driver. But still, even after installing it, there was nowhere on the computer any trace for the camcorder which was connected to the comp through the USB cable. And there was no way possible to access the videos through the computer.

I found something someone wrote:
"I have the same camcorder and have faced the same problem. USB does not recognize the camcorder in standard USB mode (which it should). You can change the settings in the touch-panal of your camcorder to USB streaming which will make your computer recognize it. But, video capture in streaming mode is not very good quality for burning DVD's."

I checked my own cameras settings and found that it was already set to USB streaming,

I am running out of ideas what what's wrong.
I don't even care anymore if the quality of the videos won't be very high, I just want the videos to be transferred to my computer in any way possible.

Thank you very much for any help offered.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DCR-TRV460 camcorder- Not recognized by computer. HELP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DCR-TRV460 camcorder- Not recognized by computer. HELP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now try it with firewire. Look up this free program.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2007 7:23 AM PDT

WINDV is easy to use.

Collapse -
How does a FireWire connect to the computer?
by dsust / June 25, 2007 6:41 PM PDT

and what is the WinDVD program you mentioned?

Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Re: firewire
by Kees Bakker / June 25, 2007 6:47 PM PDT

To connect with Firewire, you need a Firewire cable, and a firewire port on your computer. If it doesn't have one, you can buy and install a PCI Firewire card. Just explain your needs at a local computershop and they'll sell you what you need. Here are some examples (just a google hit, not a recommendation to buy at this shop):

More info on Windvd:
I didn't study your original post, so I don't know if this is the best program for your needs.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thenk you for all the info!
by dsust / June 25, 2007 7:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: firewire

you really helped me a lot! thanks!

The problem is that now I'm not even sure if a FireWire can help me..

I downloaded the InterVideo WinDVD 8 Platinum trial, but when I open the program, I still have the same problem that I don't know how to access the videos from the camcorder through the program.

Thanks again! Happy

Collapse -
Better make that question a new thread.
by Kees Bakker / June 27, 2007 5:45 AM PDT

I expect some answer will come then. All I can say about it is that I expect you need to transfer the video from the camcorder to the PC using some other software (maybe Windows Explorer, maybe software that came with the camcorder on a CD). But I don't know the details.

Collapse -
by sheilakmcd / June 27, 2007 10:07 PM PDT

It's WinDV, not WinDVD. It's a small free program for capturing video via firewire.

Check camera menu to see if there is a setting for turning on DV out. Some have it, some don't. Hook up firewire cable (Sony calls it DV) between camera and computer. Turn camera on VTR mode.

The first time you hook up the firewire and turn on the camera, you should hear a ping from your computer when it senses the connection. You'll probably get a new device window pop-up telling you it has found Sony DV camera.

Open WinDV. It will find camera. Start playback on camera, start capture on WinDV.

If WinDV says no capture device present, it does not see the connection, and you will need to investigate the firewire connection on your computer. Make sure the port in enabled in BIOS and Windows.

Collapse -
by dsust / June 27, 2007 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: WinDV

Thank you very much for all the details! you really helped me a lot!
now all I have to do is buy a FireWire cable and I hope that I am all set.. Thank you!

Collapse -
your welcome
by sheilakmcd / June 27, 2007 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!!

You did not give any details on your computer, but be aware there are 2 different sizes of firewire ports and cables. 4-pin to 4-pin cables and 4-pin to 6-pin cables.

Your camera port is 4-pin. Most desktop firewire ports are bigger (6-pin) and most laptop ports will be 4-pin. Check your computer port before you buy the cable to make sure you get the right one.

Collapse -
by dsust / June 27, 2007 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: your welcome

As a matter of fact, I don't even have a FireWire port only a USB port, so I believe I ought to buy a FireWire card as well..

in that case, does it matter if I buy a 6 pin or a 4 pin card?

Thanks again!!

Collapse -
Most are 6 pin and very cheap. Example at links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2007 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: ..
Collapse -
Wow! that is so great!! thanks a lot!!
by dsust / June 28, 2007 12:58 AM PDT

Thank you guys so much!
you all helped me so much!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.