Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony dcr trv 480 Digital hi8 camcorder codes 31:42 & 31:23

by stilcrazy / September 19, 2010 9:18 AM PDT

I have a beach video that will not play. I get the "re-insert cassette" warning. I have tried all Sony recommended tips. The moisture warning came on first and later the cassette warning and no function. Maybe a sensor is affecting both the moisture warning and controls cassette/warning, maybe not The moisture warning is way too sensitive and has come on before. I am advanced in electronics and might could fix this if I had a manual or parts breakdown...SOMETHING! Any links to knowledge or ideas would be appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony dcr trv 480 Digital hi8 camcorder codes 31:42 & 31:23
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony dcr trv 480 Digital hi8 camcorder codes 31:42 & 31:23
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I had a similar issue with
by boya84 / September 21, 2010 12:23 PM PDT

my HDR-HC1...

Read this...

It worked for me - and for others with different Sony camcorders getting the same (and other) error codes.

You can search the web - and find similar anecdotal evidence. I was reluctance, first, but basically had nothing to lose since the camcorder would not work. My remaining alternatives were to send the camcorder to Sony for repair or replace the camcorder. So I took the tape out, made sure the camera was off, and the tape door closed... and while securely holding the camcorder from the top in my right hand, smacked the bottom of the camcorder with my left hand. This was about a year and a half ago... The camcorder has been working correctly since being smacked.

I hope this works for you. too.

Collapse -
Soney codes
by stilcrazy / September 21, 2010 8:44 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply! I had read this and have tried all the smacking. Maybe smacking Sony around would help. At least I can use the Memory stick recording for short clips so all is not lost

Collapse -
Error Code Repair
by jeffhall2 / December 4, 2011 12:17 AM PST

I'm attempting to convert all my old tapes to DVD for my daughters before it's too late and your hi tech repair seems to work ! Thank you

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.