Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony DCR-SR100, Internet Buying, and Product Distribution

by milkinu7 / November 30, 2006 5:14 AM PST

I am in need of expert advice.

I want to buy a DCR-SR100, and have found it pretty cheap online. I have looked for it in stores to test and try it's functions, but can not locate it at any 'Brick and Mortar' store. My problems are these:

1)Is this online store (http://www.century21electronics.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=366156) a good place to shop at? Anyone had experiences with this place?

2)Why is this camcorder not at any regular stores (Best Buy, Sears, Circuit City, ect.)?

3)Is there anything that I should know about this camera (Discontinued, no longer supported, consumer problems/issues, product line issues)?

4) I have been researching this cam for the last 2 weeks and last night 2 of the cheaper websites sold out and the 3rd cheapest price rose $80.

So, along with my questions, I have this one last question; Should I move on this mysterious and elusive cam or let go of it and wait for a sure thing?

HELP PLEASE!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DCR-SR100, Internet Buying, and Product Distribution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DCR-SR100, Internet Buying, and Product Distribution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks sleazy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2006 5:25 AM PST
1. http://www.resellerratings.com/seller12086.html

Definitely an avoid.

2. Because it's not in the top 10 items that sell at retail outlets. Hint? Brick and mortars can't handle all that is available.

3. Look at Cnet reviews and camcorder review sites.

4. If 80 bucks is a make or break on this 1,600 buck camera I strongly suggest you forget about it for awhile. Try later and see if the market has changed. Here I can drive 40 miles and get it with no sales tax (that's 80 bucks...)

Bob
Collapse -
Thanks.
by milkinu7 / December 4, 2006 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: Looks sleazy.

And yes that site does look sleazy. I like your reseller link and will use it quite often. I think that it's worth the extra money for good customer service. Your not only paying for the equipment, but also the ease of correcting any problems you have when you talk with the service reps and better stores usually take care of their customers better. Again thank you for your advice. Also I believe that this camera, though best in HDD class (HDD cams that are not Hi-Def), Sony has saturated the marker with the 40/60/80/100 models of this camera, then right above it in the Hi-Def Class (only a few $100 away) are the HD line of cameras and that is why it is not in the stores. Again thanks.

Collapse -
I prefer brick and mortar,
by boya84 / November 30, 2006 6:02 AM PST
Collapse -
Fry's Rocks
by milkinu7 / December 4, 2006 1:07 AM PST

Fry's is awesome, and they were my main store when I lived in CA. Best customer care of any store you will ever go to PERIOD!

You buy something, 6 months goes by, and you decide to take it back. You go in to the exchange counter and they can tell you everything that you ever purchased. No need for reciepts ever. Costco is second best, only because they track your shopping by your account card.

Love Fry's, and thank you for the post.

Collapse -
This is the Same Place as bestpricecameras.com
by JimKW / November 30, 2006 6:52 AM PST

There is thread here about how bad they are. Stay away for sure.

I am also looking at the Sony DCR SR-100. The best price I am finding on the internet through amazon.com and pricegrabber.com is between $700 and $750. When I see a major price drop, this is the one I will probably buy, but I'm in no hurry.

I'm not letting the people on this board talk me into going mini-dv either. I want HDD or some other large storage medium, and do not want to hassle with storing tapes. Been there done that, and I do not like dealing with tapes. I've worked with open reel, 8-track, cassette, 8mm and data storage in the data centers I've worked in all my adult life.

I also don't buy the agruement that hard drives crash. Been coming to this board now for at least six weeks and have not yet seen one person say their hard drive crashed on their camera. I have had hard drives crash on my PC's though and that is a hassle. But my son took the hard drive out and took it to work. Two days later we had all the data off the bad drive loaded to a new drive.

Not going to argue the point that the image quality is better on the min-dv though. I'm just not going to be comaring the two side by side.

Collapse -
SR100 should be at local BB or CC...
by whizkid454 / November 30, 2006 8:03 AM PST

This is a great camcorder and has not been discontinued. In fact, it got the best ratings of any HDD camcorder when it came out. It is better than almost every DVD camcorder and even some miniDV camcorders. Nothing "widespread" is wrong with the camcorder (no major flaws or bugs). Great video so I think you should stay with this camera but stay away from rarely known online vendors (sometimes they are scammers)

Collapse -
Thanks Whiz
by milkinu7 / December 4, 2006 1:11 AM PST

Thats some sound advice and I am going to heed the warnings. Too many red flags flying. Why risk $700 to save $200. Not a good deal. Then what would crappy customer service be, but a continued slap in the face. Thank you for your post. I appreciate the advice.

Collapse -
Ultimate Electronics
by Machaira / November 30, 2006 11:43 AM PST

Don't if they have them where you are but Ultimate Electronics carries the camera.

Collapse -
Nice site.
by milkinu7 / December 4, 2006 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Ultimate Electronics

Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
Sony DCR SR100 compatible with iMovie?
by lorms / December 4, 2006 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: Nice site.

I'm trying to figure out if this will work as well on a mac as on a pc? I've got a macbook with iMovie. Not really ready to spring for FinalCutPro.

Thoughts?

Collapse -
whizkid, if you send me a clip,
by boya84 / December 4, 2006 12:34 PM PST

I can provide a first-hand response...

Collapse -
Century 21
by rotnrobert / December 13, 2006 8:00 AM PST

Be afraid, be very afraid!!! Bait and switch! Bait and switch! Bait and switch! Bait and switch! I went through the same process and found them to be like the other Brookly sellers, a bunch of crooks. Advertise really low and then try to suck you into buying something you don't want need, or can afford. Go to resellers.com if you want more info. Great place to seek out worthy online sellers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.