Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony DCR-HC40 Camcorder/USB & saving tape to hard drive

by si / October 21, 2004 6:31 AM PDT

Hello.
I need some help! I recently purchased a Sony DCR-HC40 camcorder. I'm trying to figure out how to save my tape movies onto my Compaq Win XP computer. It appears that I *have* to use their Picture Package software to do this, if I use the USB connection (I don't have fire-wire).

Problem is, their software automatically adds music and effects during the transfer, and I lose all the sound on the movies I recorded! How stupid is that??? Sony online help are useless, as they refer me to Pixela Corp. (the co. that manages the web site for the software support). There is no email address for technical support; only a telephone number which is NOT toll-free, and I'm not going to spend hours on the phone with them on my nickel.

Any one here have some ideas how I can simply transfer my tape movies from the camcorder to my hard drive without adding music or effects or anything else? I've tried Extreme Media Digital Studio (another software package I have), but the camera will not USB STREAM to it. HELP ANYONE!!! I am sooooo annoyed with Sony right now!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DCR-HC40 Camcorder/USB & saving tape to hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DCR-HC40 Camcorder/USB & saving tape to hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sony DCR-HC40 Camcorder/USB & saving tape to hard drive
by munjuluri / October 21, 2004 11:27 AM PDT

Do not use the Picture Package software use Windows movie maker ( comes with XP) or some such s/w to capture your picture. Firewire gives good quality than USB.

Collapse -
by si / December 8, 2004 7:58 PM PST

Your recommendation for Windows Movie Maker worked for the movie transfer - thanks! Now, another question: How to get the computer to recognise the camera's memory stick and download the pictures Ive taken with it? <grrrrrrr>

Collapse -
by emendeep / December 8, 2004 8:28 PM PST

Congratulations Si... you were able to transfer the movie from the tape to the Hard Drive.. I will also try the same.

However, I am also facing another problem. Sometimes, my DCR HC40 does not start charging the battery (the LED does not glow up). At times, it does charge. Also, when I charge it fully, the battery gets drained pretty quickly (overnight), if I leave the battery in the HandyCam. I found many people facing similar problem.... better you check out at http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t107753.html

Collapse -
Sony DCR-HC62 - USB streaming
by jarbacky / December 25, 2009 10:46 AM PST

Merry Christmas!

I taped all morning and then drove 3 hours to the next family gathering and when I wanted to show them them the tape I couldn't get it out of the camera. bah hum bug

The camera is working fine but I was under the impression I could playback the tape through the USB cable streaming to my laptop screen. I guess I didn't do anything right because it's 9:30pm now and I'm still not getting it.

I did figure out how to use the camera as a webcam - cool - but the joy is gone Sad

Were my expectations too high from the USB cable. (no one here had a firewire port, no Sony AV cable out so USB is only option right now)

Any advice or admonishments will be welcome.

Thanks!
j

Collapse -
Install a firewire card. They're cheap, and supported by
by Kiddpeat / October 21, 2004 4:02 PM PDT

a variety of capture software.

Collapse -
by calinindia / October 25, 2004 8:37 PM PDT

I have the same problem... and I am in INDIA on a job right now so my options are limited... Did anyone figure out what to do to correct this? should I uninstall picture package? If so, where will I find the camera on my computer (meaning, that I don't see it automatically show up under "my computer" when I plug it in.)

Any help on this would be appreciated... and n-i-c-e s-i-m-p-l-e step-by-step language would sure help me out. Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
by si / October 25, 2004 11:35 PM PDT

Cal,
I used the suggestion of Windows Movie Maker - it's part of the OS, so you don't have to buy anything. Just install the USB Driver (which is on the Picture Package CD), and use Windows Movie Maker for the taped movies.
p.s. - I haven't figured out what to do with the pictures on the memory stick yet....)

Collapse -
by dushyant / November 2, 2004 11:06 PM PST

hi,,
even i faced the same, this Sony people have played with us by giving such a third class software. Any how i have done a lot of r&d on how to get th emax possible quality..

The best software i found for this is Unlead photo studis 6 and above. ITs giving me a so..so good capture to my PC. Still i am not satisfied but still atleast u can start ur work and do some r&d on ur side.

And to get best result go for a Fire wire cord. It gives a better control on ur camera.

Collapse -
by si / December 10, 2004 7:21 PM PST

Hello Dushyant.
I've been successful using Windows Movie Maker and the USB connections for now. But, I have another question - I can't get the computer to recognise the memory stick so I can download the "still pictures" I took!! What to do????

Collapse -
by Rines / November 13, 2004 6:22 AM PST

I was blessed with the DCR HC40 - and thanks to the honest people at Best Buy - I got to return it for full credit! The DCR HC40 sucks when it comes to burning a DVD. It won't even work with Firewire to a Sony Vaio computer using there packeged "CVlick to DVD" program. Technical support told me (at 19.95 per) that it must be a "compatability" issue. I got your compatability right here! Return the sucker and get a real camcorder (NON SONY)

Collapse -
by Missie00 / December 8, 2004 1:59 PM PST

Hello,
I just purchased Sony DCR HC40 and I'm having hard time transfering video on tape to my computer...
I used included usb cable, but it didn't play anything that I recorded on tape. What am I doing wrong?
And what is IEEE cable for? Do I need that to transfer stuff on tape to my computer? or is it just for better quality?
Thanks in advance for help!

Collapse -
by frankzxcv / December 10, 2004 3:16 PM PST

hello missie,

well sorry you are having trouble. I have a sony trv38 and no problems. I don't really know what firewire is exactly, just a universal and very fast way to move data.

I would try this, either return the cam as one user did OR maybe download a trial software package like adobe premiere pro and see if you can download using that program (I just turn on my cam first, click on "movie capture," and there it is). could be you need a better capturing program than what came with it. most bundled software with cams is pretty cheesy. --fj

Collapse -
by Missie00 / December 11, 2004 8:33 AM PST

Hello, FJ
Thank you so much for your reply.
I finally got it worked! It took me forever, but it worked pretty good with windows movie maker. And now I even have my video from tape in cam to a cd. =)
Thank you again!
Missie00

Collapse -
by splah / December 8, 2004 9:58 PM PST

Will using the Windows movie maker work the same with Canon Elura 70 camcorder? With the drivers installed using USB?

thanks!

Collapse -
YOU PEOPLE ARE STUPID!
by davidbboy / June 14, 2010 11:47 AM PDT

you dont need to buy or do anything! you just need to download the usb connector.

If ur computer is windows xp download it here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=DCRHC40&upd_id=1452&os_id=7&ULA=YES

If u have other computer, find ur Operating system and download it here.: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=DCRHC40&SelectOS=7#div_pos_18

Installation Instruction:
first press download button then press agree or agree or something that pops up the second time...

And im 14 and i know more than u older peoples... u should be ashamed!~ hahaha! Jokes! enjoy...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.