Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony DCR-HC40 Battery Charging Problem

by nitinnarang / July 1, 2005 5:05 AM PDT

Hi Mates - I did purchase a Sony DCR-HC40 camcorder around an year back and it was working superb till few days back.

As of date, i am facing a problem where the camera battery is not getting charged. It happened suddenly and abruptly as it was perfectly fine (with a back up of around 40 min to 1 hr) but not it is not getting charged up at all. I being a novice in this feild am not able to gauge whether its a problem in -

a) The wires or
b) The battery or
c) The camcorder itself

Pls help me.

Nitin
London, UK.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DCR-HC40 Battery Charging Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DCR-HC40 Battery Charging Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony DCR-HC40 Battery Charging Problem
by timchase / July 24, 2005 11:32 PM PDT

Had the same thing happen to me. Went out and bought a new battery and it, too, does not charge. Apparently something messed up with the in-camera charging system. It will charge for several minutes (charge light illuminated) and then the charge light goes dark. Battery gage shows that there is virtually no time left on either battery (old or new). Anyone have any ideas other than a trip back to Sony?

Collapse -
What I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2005 11:35 PM PDT

I bought an external charger since out of warranty repairs are running about the same price as a new camcorder. Since you have 2 batteries, you can leave one in the charger and switch when its depleted.

Bob

Collapse -
It doesn't work...
by joe ferreira / March 27, 2006 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: What I did.

Hello,

I did the same. I bought an external charger and a new batterie - but I still have the same problem. What I figured out was: my cam is switching on from time to time, and is doing something. Sometimes I see the lamp on the memory stick lightening up, though the cam is turned off.

To check it, I did the following:
1. I charged the batterie with the external charger
2. I used the cam on my trip, but every time after I finished filming, I disconnected the batterie from the cam - so I could use it for days!!!

It was not very comfortable to do it anytime I stopped filming, but it worked out.

As I see it might be a problem with the cam's software.. I suppose either the software doesn't work properly or there is a setting, which tells the cam to do something from time to time. There is no other explanation I would fine reasonable...

Does anybody know if there is a setting?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Since it did this from day one...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2006 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: It doesn't work...

Why did you keep such a defective camera?

Bob

Collapse -
It didn't...
by joe ferreira / March 27, 2006 7:39 PM PST

No, the functioned for about 1,5 years without any problems. The problem occured a couple of months ago.

You see: I am living in Germany and I bought this cam in NY/USA where it costs only the half of price! The real problem is: as far as I know there is only 1 year warranty on electronic products in the US, so I don't know what to do about it now.

Collapse -
Ahh, it needs repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2006 8:32 PM PST
In reply to: It didn't...

My workaround only worked for some failures. With repair rates being what they are, it's a cheap workaround.

Sorry that this time it didn't work for you.

As to what happens next. You have to decide to pay for repair, replace or do without or make do with what works for you.

Bob

Collapse -
are you sure?
by joe ferreira / March 27, 2006 8:54 PM PST
In reply to: Ahh, it needs repair.

Hey thanks.

Are you sure there is no software setting which would solve the problem?

Is it possible to reinstall the software on the cam?
Do you have the contact phone number for the US Sony support?

Collapse -
Settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2006 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: are you sure?

You would know if that's it. What more would you do other than sit done and look through all the menus. Sometimes a find a "reset to default" entry.

Too often we wish it was some setting or software when these things break.

Bob

Collapse -
My battery not charging either...
by rjedro / May 3, 2008 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Settings.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

The reset button worked like a charm and I never would have found it without your help!

Collapse -
It works! It Works! - The Reset buttom
by rubenjmiranda / May 4, 2008 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Settings.

Well, I lost my charger and purchased a new one on eBay. I plugged it in and saw the charge light go on but a few minutes later the charge light was off and the battery was dead. Today I was about to go out and buy a new battery and decided to give google a shot to see what other people did. Well, I've had my Sony HC-90 for years and never noticed a reset button, but there it was. I pressed it, reset the date and time, and plugged in the charger and sure enough it works!!!!! yeah!!!!!!! thanks!

Collapse -
It works!!!!
by joe ferreira / March 31, 2006 8:33 PM PST

Hey Bob, you were right with the RESET button. I haven't found it in the menue, but there is a RESET button on the right side of my HC40, which I used to "fix" the cam.

Anyway after I pushed it - the problem doesn't occure anymore. I knew it was the software, since it's very often the case when your devices start doing strange things.

If you have a problem with the window regulator (lift) of your car, for instance, you just have to switch off the clip from the batterie and switch it on again. In a normal case it would fix the problem. Just like our beloved Microsoft - any software systems need to be restarted in a certain period of time.

Thank you again for your support and I'll let you know if the problem will occur again, to let you know if that's a real solution for that problem.

Andr

Collapse -
Camera fixed itself (sort of...)
by timchase / July 25, 2005 10:06 PM PDT

The problem with the charging appears to have been a bad connection to the "brick" power supply. I jiggled the connections and the charge light blinked and came on. When I jiggled a bit more it went off. Further fiddeling (that's like a jiggle only more scientific) resulted in the ability to charge both batteries that I have. Everything at this point seems OK.... We'll see...

Collapse -
Same Problems on DCR-HC30
by JTag / August 1, 2005 3:59 AM PDT

Got exactly the same problem. Spoke with Sony customer service. They deny they've ever heard of this issue and "adviced" me to pay $270 as a flat fee for a service.

In addition to all these symptoms I read on this forum, mine has a "clicking" noise after the camcorder is powered off - either with or without the charger connected. After I removed the tape, I noticed the moving tape mechanism was making a small moves along with the audible clicking. That will definitely discharge the battery quickly - the starting motor current is high enough to deplete a freshly charged battery within minutes(with tape iside even higher).

But... as the "wise" guy in Sony said thereis nothing they could do except charge me $260 and try to repair it.

Collapse -
SAME PROB BATTARY DRAINED OFF SONY DCR HC 20
by preeti_pandurangi / September 15, 2005 6:39 AM PDT

I am having the similar problem.
did anybody got it fixed.
please let me know

Collapse -
What I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2005 6:43 AM PDT

Use an external charger.

Collapse -
Thanks Buddy
by preeti_pandurangi / September 15, 2005 10:23 PM PDT

Will check the external battery now.Or just go to Best Buy i guess i have extended warranty.

Collapse -
External Charger
by jkr22373 / November 1, 2005 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Buddy

Did it work for your camera to buy and external charger? I have the same problem and do not want to pay that much for repair. My makes the same clicking sound that drains the battery. Thanks, Julie

Collapse -
Try to this:
by joe ferreira / March 27, 2006 7:45 PM PST
In reply to: External Charger
Collapse -
DCR-HC30 not charging work around
by mberk007 / December 22, 2005 12:32 AM PST

First of all, I would like to say that this is obvoiusly a quality problem in the camcorder and that Sony should cut the BS and fix this problem. I'm shure there will be a class action lawsuit eventially becasue of this problem.

Now for the workaround:

1. Open the door for the DV tape and remove the tape. 2. Push the empty case back down but dont close the door
3. Charge the battery as you normally would with the door open and it should charge as normal.

Collapse -
sony hc 30
by dsjm / November 4, 2008 8:44 PM PST

Just replying to thanks it worked a treat .thus saving

Collapse -
I think I have a fix
by ryusba / February 12, 2006 2:30 PM PST

I had the same problem with the HC-40, purchased in October 2004; the problem showed up in Feburary 2006.

The Sony website suggests cleaning the battery contacts on the battery and camcorder with a cloth. When the cloth didn't do any good, I actually took a nail file and scraped the contacts a little, figuring it couldn't get any worse! Then I was able to charge the battery and it's working again. It must be that you have to scrape away the deposits that form on the battery terminals, like what you have to do with a flashlight. Why Sony doesn't suggest this is beyond me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.