Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony CyberShot DSC-W5 - No Power

by vassiel / May 8, 2007 12:01 AM PDT

I replaced my batteries for new ones after I tried the power button on my camera. NO POWER. (I purchased this camera in 8/14/2005) Then, I removed the new batteries, pressed down on the power button for fifteen seconds, reinstalled my batteries and still NO POWER! I called Sony only to find out that they charge a flat fee of $181 to send it to their Repair Service!!! I purchased this camera for $348 as a bundle. My camera does not have AC ability-no connector, but it does have a "dummy battery" inside the camera body. Can I purchase this dummy battery and replace it myself?

I take care of my camera and I do not abuse it. Surely, Sony will accuse me of camera abuse if I have them to service it. They are a big company fattening off of helpless consumers through their convenient rules, that benefit them, not the consumer. Yes, I am angry, very angry. I will never buy another Sony ever again. BUT . . I still have a useless Sony camera I would like to fix myself. What do you think I shoudl do? Do I have any rights that will NOT cost me?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony CyberShot DSC-W5 - No Power
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony CyberShot DSC-W5 - No Power
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony W5
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 6:28 AM PDT

Your information is not very clear to me.

That camera came with NiMH AA batteries and a battery charger.

I assume you replaced the batteries because the old ones were bad.

I assume you bought new NiMH AA batteries and charged them with your charger before putting them in the camera.

I assume you installed the batteries correctly in the camera.

I do not understand;
"My camera does not have AC ability-no connector, but it does have a "dummy battery" inside the camera body. Can I purchase this dummy battery and replace it myself?"

If there is a dummy battery in the camera, where do you put the new batteries you bought?

More detailed information is required.

Collapse -
Sony DSC-W5 - No Power
by vassiel / May 8, 2007 11:34 AM PDT

Yes to all those. This particular camera is not A/C adaptive, so, there is another battery inside the body of the camera. I would have to unscrew the back cover to get inside it. At least, another forum mentioned about this additional battery. I did recharge the new AA rechargeable batteries before I installed them into the camera. But, still no power. Can't understand it. Sony charges you $181 for a service repair. That's insane!

Collapse -
W5 No Power
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony DSC-W5 - No Power

Regarding Internal Battery:

I know that many Canon cameras has a small inside battery, but all it does is keep the date and time alive while you are changing the normal batteries.
So that you do not have to re-enter the date and time.

Sony may have the same thing.

I can only think of one more thing to try.

I have seen a few reports of a defective memory card causing power problems.
Remove the memory card and try the power again with known good batteries.

Sony's repair rates sound a bit higher than others, but they all charge over $100.

Collapse -
Reply to Snapshot2
by vassiel / May 9, 2007 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: W5 No Power

Sorry, I already tried that. I removed my memory card and still no power. If anyone else has a great troubleshoot idea, I'd appreciate it.

If I can avoid a huge repair charge, I will do so. I refuse to give Sony any more money. They do not honor their products and they simply do not care about the consumer. There should be some kind of protection for the consumer when an electronic device expires just after a one year warranty. Or, extend that warranty to two years upon purchase! Some of us use our cameras more on holidays than any other time. My iron has lasted me 12 years and it has fancy bells and whistles on it and that had a one year warranty on it, too. It is still working and I believe these companies have got to stop accepting inferior parts for assembly.

Sony DSC-W5 is totally useless! I ran across three Sony DSC-W5 cameras on eBay that were being auctioned with no power. Just like mine is!!!! The other four have damaged LCD's. That is pretty pathetic!!! I am going to contact a Consumer Advocate. If I can discourage many consumers in buying Sony, maybe, just maybe, Sony will be kinder on the phone and be more receptive to help a consumer's inoperative electronic equipment without spoiling the already bad experience with high charges.

Sorry about my Soundoff, But I just had to voice my opinion on this matter.

Collapse -
Digital cameras: Sony CyberShot DSC-W5 - No Power
by PROB7COB / May 17, 2007 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Snapshot2

I just got same problem.
No power at all.
I searched all available pages on internet.
Tried everything possible (take out batteries, press buttons, replace batteries, press on lenses, keep without batteries, etc...).
Nothing helps.
I would spend $180 on new camera.
I will buy any camera but Sony.
This is rediculos.
I wasted $350.

Collapse -
Sony DSC-W5 - No Power
by vassiel / May 18, 2007 10:59 PM PDT

I am sorry you are having the same problem. I wish I can repair this if someone else has the answer. It would really make me angry if I find out that it would take just ten minutes of my time to do a $5 job, only to send it off to Sony and pay them $181 in a service repair. No way on that, though!!! Sony has to rely on consumers and if consumers stop being so complacent when it comes to inferior products, maybe, Sony will wise up. I had my beautiful Minolta XGM for 26 years, with no problems. That 35mm camera cost me $389! Well worth the time and cost! Sony produces garbage, inferior parts and high cost repairs. They won't even TELL you how to repair your camera!!! They are afraid of losing business; all the more reason to avoid them. Does the term "schiesters" ring a bell?

Collapse -
no power
by sou_mukh / February 6, 2008 5:54 PM PST
In reply to: Sony DSC-W5 - No Power

I am having the same problem aand it is a total loss of 17500/- Rs.
It is ridiculous and I am so much frustrated and angry.But I have no option than to keep it as an antique..

Collapse -
Sony W5 - No power
by MrHax / February 9, 2008 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: no power

I have the same problem with my wonderful W5... is there someone that have a solution how to power it up again?

Very thankful for answers!

Collapse -
by thebigdmb / January 10, 2009 10:23 PM PST

I had my camera to my sony repair shop and he informed me that these camera's do not function with regular alkaline batteries. They require NiMH batteries (1.2 V) with 2500 mAh. I charged up some of these and my camera works fine. Hopefully you find it works for you also.

Collapse -
Thank you so much!
by Cupperty / January 12, 2011 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: batteries

This advice is a little counter-intuitive, after all, rechargeables have a lower voltage than alkalines. It was therefore very much as a last resort that I tried this.
With fresh alkalines, my girlfriend's Sony Cybershot DSC-S600 got about halfway through saying "bing!" when I turned it on, before it switched itself off.
After swapping for 2 fully charged Boots 2200 mAh batteries, it works fine. I've taken about 50 shots with it over the past week, the majority with flash.
My girlfriend now thinks I'm a genius. Whilst gallantry prevents me from questioning a lady's motivations, and I cannot confirm this beyond doubt, that may well have contributed to an extremely enjoyable evening earlier this week.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.