Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W80

by romperz_rockz / June 12, 2007 5:31 PM PDT

Hey Everybody,
I keep hearing all the good things about Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W80, but to me it doesnot go anywhere close to 7 mega pixel. The camera is supposed to be anti-blur, but the pictures I have taken are very blury. I am not really sure what is going wrong and this is really frustrating. If anyone can suggest me why my pics could be blur? or why am I not gettin 7 mega pixel quality? I must say the pics are not even close to my 3.2 mega pixel camera of canon. I have inserted a sony memory card which I used previously as pen drive. Could anyone tell me if a Memory Slot effect the quality of my camera's performance??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W80
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W80
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony W80
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 13, 2007 6:38 AM PDT

You believe that your photos are not 7 megapixels, but I am wondering how you know.
So, let's find out for sure.

On your computer, use Windows Explorer and go to the folder where your W80 photos are stored.
Click on that folder and the files should show up in the right half of the window.
At the top of the screen, click "View" and then click "Tiles".
That should give you an icon for each photo with the size of the photo.
For 7 megapixels, you should see 3072 x 2304.
If you don't see that size, what size do you see?

Blurred photos can mean several things.

Is the entire image blurred or is only the subject in the image blurred?

Were the blurred photos taken indoors/outdoor and with/without flash?

Something to try:

Set the camera on a solid surface, such as a railing, table, chair, etc.
Take a photo, making sure the camera is not moved while taking the photo. Wait at least 2 seconds before moving the camera.

Check that photo by looking at it on the computer.

If the image sharp and blurr free?

The memory card should not affect image quality.

If the card has previously been used on other equipment, be sure to format the card with the Camera.
See page 58 of the Cyber-Shot Handbook.

Note: a format will delete all photos and files on the memory card.

Collapse -
Blur... Thoughts.
by Papa Echo / June 13, 2007 10:23 AM PDT

"Mega pixel" should be compared with cameras with the same size and same capture device, e.g. same sized CCD. Same mega-pixel but different sizes CCD gives different picture quality.

As for the blur, make sure that anti-blur function is not turnred off or set incorrectly for the type of shots you take, and that the "scene mode" is set correctely. In low light conditions, the camera in full auto-mode would set the camera first to the widest F-stop,(then shutter speed, then ISO) giving a shallow "field of depth", making the background blur, and the anti-blur function cannot prevent nor correct this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.