Sony forum

Sony Customer Service

by Eraconynos / October 13, 2012 8:49 AM PDT

To all requesting "Sony Service"

After my six month experience trying to get my 3 month old KD-HX46 TV repaired or replaced here are some tips to help for those about to call for service.

First give up any hope that Sony actually cares about your issue. Don't waste time getting angry, that will be counter-productive.

Most companies now rely on one fact: a very high number of consumers will just give up and go away once confronted with bad customer service. In my case in the 6 months of my saga other than auto-replies to requested documentation and pictures, Sony has never contacted me by phone or email. All contact has been initiated by me.

Understand now Sony will not call you, email or make any effort to contact you, it will be up to you to call Sony at every opportunity.

My closest Sony service center is 1400km away. There used to be plenty closer, but Sony for some reason severed ties with a lot of former service centers.

Make notes of everything, what the "service rep" said, time/date you called the name of the rep, what was said would be done and when. etc.
Be very clear what you expect for a resolution and when you expect it to happen by.

When you don't hear from them call back and repeat the process. I should have been more diligent with this.

When all else fails do something, when my patience was exhausted in Sept. I told the Service rep I would be contacting the Better Business Bureau and putting a leaflet together describing my difficulties getting Sony to honor their warranty. I would stand out in front of local Sony dealers and hand them out.

He put me on hold, came back with I need you to send me "one more picture" then we can send you a replacement TV.

I sent the picture then got the auto-reply saying they received it and have never heard from them again.
Two weeks later I got a phone call from a shipper wanting to deliver a new TV.

So don't expect much without being tenacious. Start with your "A" game, be clear in with what you expect for a resolution and when.
Use all available resources, news media, blogs, consumer advocates etc. available in your area to make Sony stand up to their legal requirements under their warranty.

Don't embellish or make stuff up, let the facts speak for themselves.
Due to their Customer Service I won't buy a Sony product again.

But I will buy stock in the Company, brilliant protection of stockholders dividends.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Customer Service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Customer Service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2012 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Customer Service

Here in the USA my experience is nearly opposite. The distance to the service center is a non-issue as here in the US we have great shipping options.

Collapse -
by Eraconynos / November 10, 2012 6:53 AM PST

Just got a call 2 months after delivery, apparently the freight forwarder was supposed to pick up old TV, its was long gone to the landfill weeks ago.
Again, no contact from Sony Canada, hey about that TV, just a panicked shipping company.
Expect to hear more on this.........

Collapse -
reply to customer service
by dburde1 / April 15, 2014 6:26 AM PDT

I had a Sony 70 that had the optical block problem then was replaced with a Sony 60 that has a bright blue line going right down the middle of the TV. Sony will only give me a 20 percent discount which is what it costs at best buy. They replaced a defective with a defective and only give 1 year warranty on both. I realize that there are lots of scammers out there, but this is not the case. I spent lots of hours trying to get the defective TVs replaced because both cost more to fix than what a new one does, and all that is done is ''go buy a new one''. Sarah Kepler helped me the first time and she cares. But that is the old Sony. Sarah is now with a different department and they won't let me talk to her. They won't download a picture or take an TV repair shop invoice saying its beyond repair. I bought Sony TV's all my life but will NOT continue because of the new so called Sony listens department. They will not stand behind their quality any more. Would you go buy a TV after the last 2 have been defective? And no one cares......I spent 4500 on the first 70 inch defective TV .And settled for 60 inch that was defective. Sony used to CARE.......Sure miss good people like Sarah Kepler...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.