Sony forum

General discussion

Sony customer service

by cdavidc / August 18, 2010 9:25 AM PDT

Can anyone relate to my recent experience with Sony Customer Service:

A while back I purchased a new VAIO amongst other things from Sony online. All together totaling nearly $3,000 dollars. One of the items, a set of $300 desktop speakers was defective. After weeks of going through the hoops required to get a repair number to return them, I finally shipped them back, AT MY EXPENSE. I got them back a few weeks later, not even repaired; I literally mean not repaired, just like the day I paid to ship these "brand new" speakers back.

Growing up I loved Sony Products. Have they gone down this bad? I had found a Home entertainment system on their site I was thinking about. But not if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony customer service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony customer service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nope
by sky5725 / August 23, 2010 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony customer service

Hmmm... I have never experienced anything like that from Sony. Sony customer service is actually one of the better customer services, unlike HP. I think you should talk to them, I am sure they will get this solved for you.

Collapse -
Sony Customer Service
by Winkybok / August 23, 2010 12:31 PM PDT

Sony customer service are absolutely useless. Period! If I didn't need nightshot I would stay away from Sony altogether, even though I like their products for the most part. Unfortunately, if something goes wrong all you are going to get is a "gee we are sorry to hear that" and will end up forking out big dollars. Becareful!

Collapse -
Sony Customer NO SERVICE
by pj59 / August 30, 2011 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Customer Service

Sent my Sony SLT A55 for repair due to overheating problem I experienced in July while taking still single shot photos. The camera was purchased in November 2010 and is still under warranty. From my initial call, I requested a new replacement camera. I read on some other forums about others that had experienced the same problem and it was determined the camera was defective and it was replaced...but not by Sony...by the point of purchase location. The techincian called to give me a status as I requested. He told me the camera had water damage and there was nothing they could do.The camera has not been exposed to water. I explained I was intelligent enough and honest enough not to send them a camera that had been exposed to the water. He indirectly called me a liar by insisting water damage was the problem, and continually reprimanded me for interrupting him while he tells me I just threw away $800+ on a camera that is still under warranty. He continually interrupted me as well. There is no way it has water damage unless it occurred while enroute to Sony or while in their possession. I have another Sony DSLR camera and about $2500+ tied up in related lenses and accessories. The camera was completely operational when I sent it to Sony for repair.I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor was told that was not possible. I asked didn't he have a manager or supervisor and I was told it was not necessary for me to speak with that person because the information he shared with me was company policy. I ask if he was telling me that he would determine what was and was not necessary for me as a Sony customer. His response was yes. It was like talking to a robot that spoke to me in a reprimanding tone as if I were his child.I reached a level of frustration I have never experienced in my entire lifetime with any company's...customer no service. I eventually used some profanity and hung up on the technician. That behavior is out of character for me.I have been free advertisement for Sony digital cameras and accessories for quite some time. I have raved over these products to my Canon and Nikon photographer friends. After this experience, that will never happen again. Having a great product is completely worthless if you have poor customer service and you have no regard for your customers after the purchase.

Collapse -
Not helpful but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2011 8:00 AM PDT

"no weather seals like Pentax or warranty to cover water damage/rain damage" -> reviewer.

Another seller offers "3 Year Total Protection Extended Warranty (Includes Water Damage & Dropping)" but I find most folk won't go for that.

Your situation is much like the old Star Trek episode where the computer was the only evidence. The moisture sensor in the device is used and a summary judgement is passed. It's a shame they had to do that and it's not 100% reliable as it could have read failed when you got the camera!

Collapse -
Sony Customer Service - HORRIBLE
by rwba50 / October 14, 2010 10:32 AM PDT

I can relate 100%. I puchased a VAIO, with 1 week the LCD went bad (only half the monitor is visiable). I have now been waiting 1 month for the repair service. The service center says they do not have the part, customer service says they cannot do anything (one tech even told me to "just return your laptop for a refund". Supposedly the parts people have no idea when the part will ship to the service center. So now I have a $2000 paper weight.

Collapse -
Horrible Service
by dfersten / November 1, 2010 10:52 AM PDT

I am shocked and disgusted at the customer service at Sony. My new Vaio had a bad pixel. After waiting a month for the part on back order with no communication from Sony other than me having to spend an hour on hold every other week. After a month I was told the part was on Fed Ex and I should hear from a tech in the next day. A week later no call, another hour on hold to find out the tech didn't pick up the part at fed ex and it was shipped back...Whatt!!!!!! ARe you kidding me!! I will never ever touch anything Sony other than their stock which I will short tomorrow! Still waiting(and praying). Let us all pray for Sony San Diego.

Collapse -
Sony's lack of repair service/customer service
by scooterbear / November 2, 2010 12:15 AM PDT

I loved my Sony ereader but after having it for only nine months I had to send it in for repairs. Well, I'll never buy another Sony...anything! Week after week I've been told lies. I've heard every excuse from computer problems, to facility problems, it's already been mailed back (and it wasn't); you name it and they've lied about it. All of my paid books are on that ereader and I'm without a reader. I could understand if there was a problem repairing it or getting parts, but I just keep getting lied to. VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE SONY!!

Collapse -
Customer service culture
by ferozeaftab@hotmail.com / September 19, 2012 3:41 AM PDT

We at our University ordered six Sony Vaio Z series machines three weeks ago with a delivery date of one week. The shipment never arrived and when we called to inquire we were passed from one to the other with no good answer about the delay. We were give a new date every time we called and when it did not happen they would promise to "look into it" again. When we decided to cancel the order, they said since the computers have already been shipped for overnight delivery, the order cannot be cancelled. They would not give a tracking number and probably they were talking about the nights gone by (overnight) delivery. Their culture is just lie to the customer. I experienced the same at one of their stores where I bought a laptop for my personal use too. Please dont believe a word they say........... find another product where they value customer.

Collapse -
Please make a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2012 3:51 AM PDT

Reveal in your new post what web site you ordered from.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.