Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony CCD-FX310 Video 8 Handycam problems

by svoge / March 20, 2010 7:59 AM PDT

My Sony CCD-FX310 Video 8 Handycam has been in the closet for a number of years. We got it out to use as a player to dub the tapes to a DVD. I can press the eject button and the tape area will open, but when I put in a tape, the camera will not close. It will only close when there is no tape in it. The battery on the camera had gone dead and I replaced the lithium battery.

Any ideas why the camera will not close so the tape can be played? Is there another internal memory or battery that might need to be replaced? I have a number of tapes from my sons' high school wrestling matches and we would like to get them transfered to DVD.

Otherwise, was there ever an adaptor that you could use in a VHS VCR? I never used one, because we always just attached the camera to our TV and watched the tapes that way. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony CCD-FX310 Video 8 Handycam problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony CCD-FX310 Video 8 Handycam problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony Video8 Handycam - Camera won't close with tape cassette
by Tecra8000 / November 25, 2010 8:19 AM PST

I have the same problem when I put in a tape, the camera will not close. It will only close when there is no tape in it. Has this post ever been replied to. Are there any other posts on this particular problem? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Collapse -
All apologies in advance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2010 4:18 AM PST

My thought here is the units need repairs.

Collapse -
Sony Video8 Handycam - Camera won't close with tape cassette
by Tecra8000 / November 26, 2010 2:54 PM PST

I phoned Sony today and they don't even want to look at it. They said $300 then tried to sell me a new one. Obviously, they are in "marketing mode" not "repair mode".
They wouldn't even tell me what the problem is or what may have caused it. They said they have seen the problem before. For all I know it is some simple little thing. It's not a life or death thing with me. I am doing it for my daughter. I am retired and I have lots of time on my hands to prove Sony wrong.

Collapse -
Or the other solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2010 4:20 AM PST

Is to look on ebay for a second hand working model. These things don't have a "Sam's Photofacts" for us to work with. I find it best (my opinion) to get a working model, get the content off the tapes and then shelve or ebay what I don't want off.
Bob

Collapse -
Sony Handycam CCD FX310
by mccabe4some / January 9, 2011 6:30 AM PST

I have exactly the same problem. My Sony CCD-FX310 Video 8 Handycam has been in the closet for a number of years. We got it out to use as a player to dub the tapes to a DVD. I can press the eject button and the tape area will open, but when I put in a tape, the camera will not close. It will only close when there is no tape in it. The battery on the camera had gone dead and I replaced the lithium battery.

Any ideas why the camera will not close so the tape can be played? Is there another internal memory or battery that might need to be replaced?

Collapse -
FX 310 FAILURE TO CLOSE
by Waldland / August 20, 2012 4:50 AM PDT

I have a working FX 310, which was purchased in 1991 or there abouts. You have to push the tape holder in from the side so that it is underneath the zoom switches, then the tape will load fully and be available to either play or record.

Collapse -
Handycam Problems
by 4hamptons / November 29, 2013 1:55 AM PST

Did you ever figure out how to get your Handycam to close with a tape in it. We have just discovered the same problem.

Collapse -
I see I shared the usual above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2013 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Handycam Problems

As more years have passed I find it harder and harder to find parts. The find a working model on ebay is the only solution I find today. And we get the video off the tape ASAP when that unit arrives.
Bob

Collapse -
Video 8 Handycam problems
by 4hamptons / November 29, 2013 1:54 AM PST

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your handycam? I have just discovered the same issue.

Collapse -
camera will not close with tape in it
by sunnyluck / March 3, 2014 3:43 AM PST

I found one solution. On the tape there is a cover that protects the tape when not in use. There is a little lever on the side of the tape that lets the door open when it is inserted to the camera. I had to tape lever "open" (so the cover would move) and then put it in the camera. Everything works now. I figure that the "catch" in the camera is out of alignment.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.