Sony forum

Sony Bravia LCD TV stuck in Standby mode - no help from Sony

by roger003 / June 25, 2012 2:24 AM PDT

Our 2 yrs old pressed few buttons on Sony TV remote and that's how the TV ended up in stand-by mode and can't get out of it.

We bought this Sony LCD TV for $1500 and it stopped working in 3 yrs there is no option to re-boot the TV and get out of standby mode this is a defect I can't believe Sony didn't plan to fix such a common issue which can happen to anyone with kids.

We also have a Sony 12 yrs old Triniton Wega TV still in our bedroom working reliably so when we bought this new Sony TV may be our expectations were high BUT 3 yrs is very disappointing life for such money we paid to buy this TV - I talked to my friend who also bought same TV and Sony repaired their TVs defective BU Board free but too me they want to charge full- service amount and no replacement is offered.

I have Sony camcorders/camera/dvd-home-theater and they all work fine

just because of this TV & the service call experience I would have to

think again before buying or recommending Sony again unless SonyLitens

can extend their help in keeping this trust else this as good as Trash

and so will be the brand.

Thank you,
TV Model: KDL-46Z4100

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Bravia LCD TV stuck in Standby mode - no help from Sony
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Bravia LCD TV stuck in Standby mode - no help from Sony
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this on AVSFORUM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 2:52 AM PDT

I see repair discussions there.

But the topic of TVs that have short 1 year warranties and fail under FIVE YEARS is a hot topic. These newer sets appear to be 3 to 5 year designs. Most of that is due to the pressure for lower prices.

The lesson is simple. Don't pay too much and expect 3 to 5 years for most HDTVs.

I'll ask the hard question here. What part of the warranty did they break here?

Collapse -
by roger003 / June 25, 2012 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this on AVSFORUM

Bob, thanks for the comments ! will also try on avsforums

As u asked "What part of the warranty did they break here" NONE but can Sony get away by saying u r out of warranty - the reason we pay premium for Sony products is to have a decent pdt life and Sony might be aware that the new TV sets are breaking more often so they should be willing to help out customers with early component failures as this way Sony can learn to make better products and keep loyal customers.

Collapse -
If you change "Sony" for other makers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: re

You begin to see what I see. I won't replace this for you but if you do a little research you begin to figure it out that 1 year warranties are not what is needed.

Do you remember not long ago when Color TVs appeared and the makers were pummeled into giving 5 to about 7 or 8 year warranties on the tube? It's a shame the FTC doesn't step in and push for longer warranties. There is little they can do about plasma screen cracks or burn in but frankly the makers are making 3 to 5 year devices. This is not a Sony only issue.

Collapse -

Hello Roger003!

This is Kevin Krause from Sony Support USA. I am sorry to read about the problems that you are having with your TV. If you email us at we will be more than happy to try and help you out. In your email be sure to include a brief description of the issues you are having, any event ID numbers you may have, and your contact information.

Thank you,

Kevin Krause
Sony Support USA

For helpful videos that will help answer some questions you may have about your Sony products please visit the Sony Support USA YouTube page at

Collapse -
re: sonylistens
by roger003 / June 26, 2012 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Sonylistens

Kevin, Thanks for checking.

I alredy tried discussing with Sonylistens team and they didn't offer anything new other then what Sony support suggested.

I replied back to 'Michael Puma (c3mr)' from Sonylisten and haven't heard back

The event # is E54701195

Collapse -
re: sonylistens
by roger003 / June 26, 2012 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Sonylistens

this is the response from Sonylistens recd few mins back:

Good Afternoon! Thank you again for contacting Sony Support USA.
I apologize but this the program Sony has in place, your TV is out of warranty and Sony is not obligated to provide any assistance yet they are, most companies don't do that.
If you would like to go through with a repair it would be out of your pocket since you are out of warranty.
Thank you,
Michael Puma (c3mr)

Collapse -
fyi be careful with offers from Sonylistens
by roger003 / July 9, 2012 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: re: sonylistens

the best final offer after a lot of help requests I got from Sonylistens/support is to pay $600 for a similar model refurbished TV replacement, checking on their website I could find a much better TV for $500 so Sonylistens infact is trying to grab $100 more from me then helping out a customer whose TV failed early due to poor quality product.
Display price $$899.95 - > In-Cart Price $499.99
Sony Style offers the factory-refurbished Sony Bravia XBR4 46" 1080p 120Hz Widescreen LCD HD Television, model no. KDL-46XBR4, for $499.99. With free shipping

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.