Sony forum

General discussion

Sony Bravia LCD

by Otrimm / March 16, 2013 10:06 AM PDT

Hello i own a sony bravia kdl-40xbr4 had it for 3 years now. Just recently i started getting 2 white fuzzy lines going across my tv and as time goes by it gets stronger. Eventually the whole tv turns green in color which your still able to see the characters on the tv but very hard to watch. I left it unpluged for 10 min or so and once turn on again it was gone. After 5 minutes of viewing it started doing samething all over again. Tried different hdmi cables, RCA cable and different inputs but all the same. Also tried it with a different receiver thinking it was my comcast box but no luck. Does anyone know what this can be? Can it be the tcon board or possible the lcd panel? Please any help will be great.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Bravia LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Bravia LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why did you ask about the TCON board?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Bravia LCD

When folk ask that, they usually have been reading or asking on other boards so the real discussion starts when folk reveal they are starting their career as a TV repair person. I suggest you find the service manual first and follow the diagnostic tree there.

Such manuals are not free and many times folk give up right there.
Bob

Collapse -
help
by Otrimm / March 16, 2013 3:13 PM PDT

So what kind it be? I've been reading thats all don't have any for sure answers.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: help

But I think I was unclear. The service manual appears to not be online or free. If you are reading this, and the diagnostic tree points you to a board you swap that. I'd be guessing you are not a TV repair person so far. Be sure to tell the forum what's up.
Bob

Collapse -
help
by Otrimm / March 16, 2013 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Bob you are correct I'm not a tv repair guy. Just a guy who owns this tv and trying to figure out the problem. Don't want to swap tcon board out and then find out it was the lcd panel. Also do you know which tcon board i will need for this model.

MODEL: bravia kdl-40xbr4

Collapse -
Where do I find parts?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: help

I use a few ways. ONE and this is the one that costs up to about 28 bucks each is the "service manual." These are your golden guides to repair today. Yes, it no longer documents repairs at the board level but charts what you swap when you see this or that. Sometimes it tells you to measure a voltage on some location but why I mentioned that is to share and clarify that TV repair involves some basic gear. That is, the all important service manual and basic tech tools.

OK, I find parts at shopjimmy.com and the net. I also find such things on amazon.com at times.

Since I don't own the service manual for this one, I can't offer much more.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.