Windows Vista

General discussion

Sony and Palm have No drivers for 64-bit Vista -- GRRRR!

by jmPokealong / May 3, 2008 4:59 AM PDT

I need help! Are the work-arounds so I can use my devices with my new PC?

One month ago I bought an HP Pavilion Slimline (model s3400z) with an AMD Athlon X2 64-bit processor. Now I discover I can't get drivers for devices like my Sony camcorder (model DCR-HC21) or my Palm Pilot (model z22).

I am nearly incandescent with anger over this. HOW HARD IS IT TO WRITE A DRIVER?!

If you have tips on how I can make this work I would be most grateful.

Secondly, how can I (we?) punish Sony and Palm for such bad customer service? I've already phoned their help lines and complained. I asked for a supervisor in each case. But I know this isn't going to hurt them enough that they will write the drivers I need. The only way I can think of to have an impact is for me and all my friends to call their help lines every day so they have to enter ticket after ticket on the subject. That of course is juvenile but thinking about it helps calm my rage.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony and Palm have No drivers for 64-bit Vista -- GRRRR!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony and Palm have No drivers for 64-bit Vista -- GRRRR!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or use INFRARED?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2008 6:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
No Firewire port
by jmPokealong / May 3, 2008 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Or use INFRARED?

I would use Firewire if I had a Firewire port.

Collapse -
The camcorder has a firewire port.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2008 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: No Firewire port
Collapse -
$8 bucks, that is cheap!
by jmPokealong / May 3, 2008 11:13 PM PDT

Good point. That seems the cheapest/easiest solution. Thanks for the lead. (I was so mad I didn't even think of this option!)

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake buying the Pavilion Slimline. The box is so small that standard desktop hardware doesn't fit in the slots. (The box itself if too narrow (slim).) I'm hoping that this means laptop hardware fits in the slots--that would make sense anyway.

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2008 11:59 PM PDT

I think you might get this working soon. Here's the geeks IR dongle. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=120MM&cat=PDA (6 bucks)

BUT I HAVE NOT TRIED THAT ON VISTA. If you want to test it for us, go ahead but if it must work the first time, go with the units people have tried.
Bob

Collapse -
Same here
by Winkybok / August 24, 2010 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for that.

I have same problem my laptop doesn't have a firewire port. OK now I'm going to show how simple I am. Can you install the card on a laptop or does it have to be a desktop? I have a compaq presario Cq60 notebook if that helps. I am buying a DCR TRV30 minidv camcorder that is used and doesnt come with anything except a powercord,charger and battery.Thanks for any help.

Collapse -
Sadly
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2010 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Same here

I know that laptop. There is no fix for this one. You'll want to have another machine for the transfer.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.