Computer Help forum

General discussion

Something keeps trying to install

by shaggy_dog51 / January 21, 2006 6:28 AM PST

Hi I have windows Xp, and everytime I start it a windows installer window pops up then trys installing something, and then switches to a window which says that I don't have sufficent access to this program please insert CD I don't even know what it is. Then I try canceling it, and it just displays it again. So I have to go into the task manager to end the task. It comes up as instant share device. Can someone help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Something keeps trying to install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Something keeps trying to install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shaggy, Have You Got An HP Scanner Or Camera..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 9:01 AM PST

I've had similar issues with HP Scanner software. If you've got an HP scanner or camera, make sure to install ALL of the software included. (Or uninstall everything but the basic recognition software for a camera.) The "Share Web Folders" (or something similar) will frequently ask to be installed when it's been removed from the desktop.

Next, just to make sure. Please try downloading, installing, updating, then running ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below? Run them all to see if the problem is spyware related:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Something keeps trying to installl
by Richmondrooster / January 22, 2006 3:50 AM PST

I have the same problem,only it wants me to reinstall MS Money 2003 about every other day. Even if I click on another icon for another program it opens the cannot find MS Money Reinstal from CD. Thanks to Shaggy I ran all those spyware programs he recomended and found 10 on one computer and 3 on the other. The same problem was happening on both mine & my wifes computer . So therefore I believe it may have been a spyware or worm.
Richmondrooster

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Richmond, Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 22, 2006 4:02 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by shaggy_dog51 / January 22, 2006 11:08 AM PST

I downloaded some program last night, and it asked me if I wanted to remove them from my startup and I did, so that seemed to work, and it has stayed fine even after I uninstalled it. So it seems to be fine now. It was just that I downloaded something, and then it never finished installing, so it kept trying but couldn't find the file.

Collapse -
Windows Installer keeps trying to install
by woli / January 22, 2006 1:43 PM PST

I have an HP Media Center PC, and regularly run spyware applications. I uninstalled the trial version of Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 and installed Office Professional with Front Page 2002 because I didn't want to pay for the trial 2003.

Windows Installer launches a box which says ''Preparing to Install'' and then the next box says ''Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003''. I have to click through ''cancel'' about 8 times, or else wait for the cycle to end, which is also about 8 times.

Windows Installer also launches with the same message when I open Outlook, and again each time I create a new mail message, or reply, or forward (I use Word as my e-mail editor).

Before I go nuts (!) I hope someone can help me!

Thanks in advance,
Oli

Collapse -
Oli, I'd Do This..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 12:50 AM PST

Uninstall ALL versions of Microsoft Office from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section, then download and run the Clean Up Utility from the link below, (making sure to eliminate program remnants from Office 2003 AND 2002), then reinstall the Office version of your choice.

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
You should get a crown for your help!
by woli / January 27, 2006 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Oli, I'd Do This..

Grif!! After thrashing around for so long (and failing to make real progross), this time, when I rebooted after following your instructions, I actually held my breath . . . hoping!! YOUR INSTRUCTIONS WORKED!!

Thank you so very much for being online to help with our nasty, persistent glitches. It feels so good to get that one solved! You're a gem.

Oli

Collapse -
Thanks Too OLI + AddOn...
by themastergee / March 16, 2009 6:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Oli, I'd Do This..

Hi all,

Thanks to Oli great advice but also one more thing !!! Make sure the image of your software is not mounted on the virtual drive... Like i had it was on auto play so kept trying to install a fresh copy ,,,, Just like having a CD/DVD in your real disc drive ..Booting everytime at start up ... Happy lol happy days!

To solve this go to Start menu
go to my computer
Under the section DEVICES WITH REMOVABLE STORE
eject them all and this should solve it...

Hope this helps someone as a add to oli's fine work..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_drive

Making Virtual Drives here http://www.daemon-tools.cc/home

The Master Gee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.