Speakeasy forum

Something I read today got me thinking

by JP Bill / April 5, 2013 5:10 AM PDT

Do the personnel in the US forces have a plan, or do they just get up each day not knowing what they will be doing or where they will be going. I realize there are events which no one can predict but they must/should have some sort of "sense of direction" for where they want/need to be strategically.

It would be interesting if, say for instance, Navy personnel report for work in the morning and they can decide to take the boat out for the day and just "go fishing", or they could go on a round the world cruise starting with north Korea.

Air Force personnel could take the B2 bomber for a flip to North Korea, Army personnel could go for a walk/take a hike.

I'm just speculating here.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Something I read today got me thinking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Something I read today got me thinking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
My experience
by Willy / April 5, 2013 5:41 AM PDT

After my initial MOS training and boot camp, yada, yada, it was off to support my fellow troops. Besides my MOS I did guard the base, barracks, driver relief, be a chaser, deliver my radios, inspect radios, and support for field exercises etc.. Always in training if not doing my MOS or updating it, but report as NCO for other tasks or was the extra man to relief someone else. In other words, being in the USMC you always had something to do. As the saying goes, "if it does move, paint it" applies early in my military life. Heaven help you, if you have nothing to do or haven't somehow become part of duty rooster and left hanging, you will volunteer your services. It was a good thing, they didn't call on us to do "riot duty" for the CA. universities should it be called upon, I was riot trained. I would have stuck anyone or beat heads, to relief my boredom... Happy Alas, I only stuck at air targets. No siree, not idle at all -----Willy Happy

I can only hope it remains the same for the USMC, though color scheme is now desert tan rather than OD green.

Collapse -
Same here
by itsdigger / April 5, 2013 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: My experience

I was trained as a combat engineer and always had something to do. As Willy said , I did my share of guard duty but did a lot of other things. We built a railroad through Ft. Carson by hand ( what a B***h that was ) and did a lot of bunker building at the Pueblo Army Depot for munitions storing a lot of road work and bridge building . I ran cranes and bulldozers and road graders and drove any kind of truck they had, volunteered to cut down 1500 Christmas trees once for the needy ( got to camp out up in the Rockies for a month doing that) work with the Forest Rangers on that, had war games with the Brit's once, that was a Blast! Even climbed Pikes Peak with full packs once for mountain training. All in all we kept pretty busy ,in my case a"Lot of Hikes In The Woods" and was a great experience...Digger

Collapse -
by TONI H / April 5, 2013 5:49 AM PDT

1. A message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence

2. A hypothesis that has been formed by speculating or conjecturing (usually with little hard evidence)

Synonyms: conjecture, guess, hypothesis, supposition, surmise, venture

Evidently you don't know the real meaning of the word as you used it, so I figured I'd help you out.

Now.......as to your 'wondering'.......only officers know the daily (or future) plan. They give the orders to the personnel under them and the order is carried out.

Unfortunately, we have seen, since the Viet Nam war that politicians dictate more of the military's course of action than the actual officers. Officers and their personnel are trained to a war.........politicians are trained to win an election based upon either what they perceive to be public opinion or based on their own agendas. That's why it's more important to have actual military officers with long training and experience in high office (such as Dept of Defense, etc) who would be in charge of directing our active troops than a politician sucking up to further his/her career.

Collapse -
RE: politicians dictate
by JP Bill / April 5, 2013 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Speculation:
politicians dictate more of the military's course of action

That's what happens when you control the purse strings....I suppose you want to live in a military state.

politicians are trained to win an election based upon either what they perceive to be public opinion or based on their own agendas.

They win elections based on the number of votes...the percentage of voters that agree with them and aren't too lazy to get off their rear end and vote.

And what happens if "their own agendas" aren't "public opinion"?....Democracy kicks in, would you have it any other way? I can smuggle you into North Korea, gladly.
Collapse -
Margaret Thatcher.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 6:35 AM PDT

And the Falklands? Good example.

Collapse -
RE:Now.......as to your 'wondering'.......only officers know
by JP Bill / April 5, 2013 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Speculation:
Now.......as to your 'wondering'.......only officers know the daily (or future) plan. They give the orders to the personnel under them and the order is carried out.

So each day it changes....you come to work one day and you're repairing radar sets....the next day you could be driving a tank on your way to disarm an IED? Multi tasking....repair radar sets, drive tanks AND disarm IEDs...You do it all.

SURPRISE...today you disarm an IED!!!!

I read a couple weeks ago about deployment of ships to the Iranian Sea...the deployment was scheduled 3 months in advance, I would think the predicting/scheduling something 3 months in advance would constitute a "plan".

You don't suppose some of those people with Military Fruit Salad on their uniforms know more than you and just because YOU don't know of a long term plan...there IS a plan.

Democracy for the world!!!!!
Collapse -
There is a conventional structure to the day, said the 4 F
by Ziks511 / April 7, 2013 2:15 AM PDT

guy on the forum, developed over years of experience to deal with the needs of the Army/Marine Corps/Air Force/Navy bases or Ships and ongoing training. This is modified as equipment, technology, and changes in staffing are implemented. In order to vary from that structure, as in to respond to a new deployment, a new task, or a new threat, as Toni notes, orders come down the Chain of Command divided into areas of appropriate responsibility to the Lieutenants which are then put into action by the NCO's and carried out by the grunts.

You don't make a move without a pre-existing plan. The day is structured from Reveille to Lights Out.

"Oh how I hate to get up in the morning/Oh how I'd rather remain in bed ...
One day I'm going to murder the bugler,/ One day they're going to find him dead,/ And then I'll find that other pup,/The guy who gets the bugler up,/ and spend the rest of my life in bed."

"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, move it. If it can't be moved, paint it." If it's supposed to move, grease it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.