Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Someone please help me

by hollaaaaaaa / December 7, 2012 3:56 AM PST

I have an asus eee pc and i tried upgrading my laptop to windows xp professional and during the installation there were 2 errors saying that if i continue windows might now work properly and after the installation when my laptop rebooted it said setup is being restarted........ and then it brings me to a screen saying

C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\presetup.cmd - FILE NOT FOUND !
C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\setupORG.exe - FILE NOT FOUND !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
POSSIBLE CAUSE:
1."Presetup.cmd not exist in the i386 folder on UXPCD
"setuporg.exe"not exist in the 1386 folder on uxpcd
2.Check your "txtsetup.sif" in the i386 folder on UXPCD
---Txtsetup.sif:----------------------...
[SOURCEDISKFILES]
setuporg.exe = 1 ,,,,,,,2,0,0 ; must exist
presetup.cmd = 1,,,,,,2,0,0; must exist
SETUP ABORT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Someone please help me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Someone please help me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Say, why did you install to Windows.0 ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Someone please help me

As to the install issue, that looks like a file copy errror I've seen. Did you try cleaning the cd/dvd lens and duplicating that XP CD?

Also, what is this "UPGRADE" you speak of?
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: XP install errors
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 4:11 AM PST

- What OS was on it, before you tried to install Windows XP? The eee's I see now come with Windows 7 Starter. In that case XP is a downgrade 2 versions back.
- What was the source you installed from? The best would be an original Microsoft issued holographed Windows XP SP3 CD, but SP2 should work also.
- Did you erase the drive before installing (DBAN or Killdisk)? That's necessary.
- Any more details about these 2 errors?

And just for when it works tomorrow:
- Did you already download all XP drivers for this machine? Otherwise it might not work even if the install finishes succesfully.

Kees

Collapse -
Someone please help me!
by hollaaaaaaa / December 7, 2012 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Re: XP install errors

asus 1005ha acpi bios revision 0601
core version: 0601
build date: 06/18/09
EC Firmware Version:EPCD-016

Processor
type: intel (r) atom (tm) cpu n270 @1.60ghz
speed: 1600mhz
count: 1
tats all the info i know and yes i did erase the drive and i never installed anything before the installation

Collapse -
Try the install again ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 4:38 AM PST

and tell as much as possible about the warning messages that pop up about not working properly.

But I fail to see why you don't know anything about what you install. For example, it might be caused by a damaged CD, a pirated version of Windows or a bad drive. The error message might give a hint.

Also you forgot to tell why you did this downgrade.

Kees

Collapse -
Help!
by hollaaaaaaa / December 7, 2012 5:02 AM PST

I dont have a dvd or cd drive on the laptop and when i bought it was windows xp and i was trying to upgrade to windows xp professional sp3

Collapse -
That looks good.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Help!

- If you don't have a CD drive, how do you install then?
- Why the upgrade to Windows XP Pro? Do you need to login to a domain? Or is it because of the more fine-grained file access control?
- Where did you buy that XP Pro version and what exactly did you buy?

Kees

Collapse -
Help
by hollaaaaaaa / December 7, 2012 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: That looks good.

I had windows xp pro on a flash drive and because i had many viruses so i wanted to install a new copy of windows and also upgrade

Collapse -
Re: xp pro on a flash drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Help

Then something is wrong with that xp pro setup on that flash drive.

What I should do:
- buy an external cd/dvd drive (or use one from a friend)
- buy an original Microsoft issued holographed Windows XP SP3 CD (Home or Pro), retail version, with a license key that can be used
- download all XP drivers and other needed programs from the Asus-site
Then install XP from that CD using that drive. Then install all downloaded stuff in the prescribed order.

Sorry, that's the only way to use that laptop again with Windows. Installing Ubuntu is cheaper and might work also.

Kees

Collapse -
Help
by hollaaaaaaa / December 7, 2012 6:14 AM PST

Why do i need the cd/dvd drive??? and what do i do with the xp drivers?

Collapse -
Re: cd/drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 6:35 AM PST

Because the supported way of installing is from a disk.
And you install the drivers after you installed the OS.

Kees

Collapse -
help
by hollaaaaaaa / December 7, 2012 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Re: cd/drive

ight so if i get the dvd/cd drive and get the windows xp sp3 installation disc, everything will work fine?

Collapse -
Usually, it does.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 5:31 PM PST
In reply to: help

Since the unit already came with XP, I see no reason why it shouldn't, unless it developed hardware issues while you had it.

Important things:
- The license key (you can't activate without a valid license key)
- The drivers (some won't be on the CD, so you need to download them)

Kees

Collapse -
help
by hollaaaaaaa / December 8, 2012 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Usually, it does.

i would have to download the drives after i installed windows, right?

Collapse -
Re: download drivers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: Usually, it does.

I'd download them before you install Windows, and store them on your USB-stick temporarily. Then when Windows is installed, install them from your USB-stick.

Don't forget to include the files you downloaded in your regular backup, if they work. Then you have them handy the next time you need them.

Kees

Collapse -
I didn't see that supported with XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 5:23 AM PST

I'd go back to a supported install method. Also, don't install Windows to other folders such as Windows.0 unless you are willing to accept all the issues that will occur next.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Reposted for tech_serva.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 4:43 AM PST

He's from an Indian PC support company, but he didn't read our forum rules about not advertising your own business. So I had to delete his original post.

"This errors show you that your PC is not compatible with Windows XP.
As now a days the PC/Laptops are coming with Windows 7 or Windows 8 they are easy to upgrade to higher version but not to use the lower versions of Windows.
If you want to run Windows XP in your PC you first have to analyse which hardware are in your PC then download them from net. Before that you need to upgrade your BIOS so that it will allow you to do so.
After all this you will be able to Install windows Xp in your PC and it will work effectively."

However, I don't believe that you should download hardware (he probably means drivers) and I doubt if upgrading the BIOS will help to install XP.
And I doubt if this errors show that your PC isn't compatible. This errors just show that the setup didn't manage to copy those files from the install disk to the hard disk.

Kees

Collapse -
Help
by hollaaaaaaa / December 7, 2012 5:03 AM PST

My laptop is old and i bought it with windows xp and after it shows the error i hit enter and it reboots and keeps showing the error

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.