Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Some songs on my mp3 player are under the title 'unknown'

by chardo92 / September 17, 2008 6:18 AM PDT

On my mp3 player it has artist names and then when i click on that it has the names of the albums and 'all' which has all the albums in and then 'unknown' which when i click on that it has a list of all the 'unknown' album songs. Im guessing that this is because i use limewire to get my songs and the songs dont have all the info filled in. I've tried renaming some of the songs so the album is filled in and album artist etc. but that has only worked with one song. I know its not a major problem but its a problem that has ocurred since i got my mp3 player a year or so ago, please help me if you know how to sort it out.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some songs on my mp3 player are under the title 'unknown'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some songs on my mp3 player are under the title 'unknown'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MP3 help
by floyderman / September 17, 2008 10:32 AM PDT

I think your problem mostly depends on what music device and software. If you are using iTunes, then you right click the song you need to edit, and fill in the info. Then connect your iPod, and it will sync automatically.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
tried it
by chardo92 / September 18, 2008 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: MP3 help

Im using a samsung mp3 player and i usually use windows media player to sync my songs and use itunes to store all my music. I tried editing the songs so it has album info filled in but it doesnt work when i drag the song after editing back into windows media player to sync. :s

Collapse -
by blitzfreedom / October 8, 2008 2:24 PM PDT

Is it because of some characters that your mp3 doesn't recognize. This could include hyphens and other languages etc.

Collapse -
Same with me
by lamedb / January 18, 2010 5:45 AM PST

I'm using a Samsung P3, but on OSX.

I can't seem to get my music to be filed properly; a lot of my songs (about 50%) are under 'Unknown', EXCEPT for when I go to 'Music Browser' instead of going to a listing like 'Artists', 'Albums', etc.

Basically, I think there should be a way of altering the titles, because changing the folder names only works for the 'Music Browser'.

I'll work on it, and check back in when there are new developments.

Collapse -
Would've been better to...
by make_or_break / January 18, 2010 3:29 PM PST
In reply to: Same with me

...start a new thread rather than necropost to a thread from over a year ago.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.