by nutritional / March 8, 2013 8:53 AM PST

Help! My lap is on fire!

Specs :
Asus i5 2430m
6gb Ram
2.4GHz
Nvidia GeForce 540m

Problem:

This computer as of late has been on fire! I mean almost literally, yesterday on core temp I registered 101 degrees while playing WoW.

Today I went and bought the Microsoft notebook cooling base but I am still clocking over 90 degrees.

I have pulled the computer apart and cleaned out all dust and debris, the computer is elevated with the cooling fan underneath it.

My GPU temperature is running at expected temps.

Normal usage such as internet browsing, playing video : 60 degrees.

Computer on idle runs in the low 50's.

I don't understand what could be causing this extreme heat. I mean its just WoW...

Picture of the heating programs :
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/429/tempsp.png

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some serious heating issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some serious heating issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The 540m and "laptop"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 9:21 AM PST

No, that's not unexpected in laptops. You claim you found dust and more but didn't replace the heat sink compounds while inside. Why not? You were that close to doing the full job.
Bob

Collapse -
re heatsink
by nutritional / March 8, 2013 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: The 540m and "laptop"

Im not exactly sure what the heat sink compounds are tbh

Collapse -
Example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 1:15 PM PST
In reply to: re heatsink
Collapse -
Answer
Clean it up...
by Willy / March 8, 2013 9:33 PM PST

Blow out the dust bunnies and make darn sure any vents are cleared as well. Once all that is done, be certain any fans installed do work. As for cpu paste, known as thermal compound, check to see if present and/or is fully applied. Under extreme heat build-up it can splatter and exit the area it's suppose to be working on. Just re-apply and go from there. I supply a link for reapplication:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

Sometimes a cleaning of dust may only move it further down the exhaust vent, so be sure it is cleared. Also, use your laptop on a hard surface. because, you're into gaming that will provide more usage and into the extreme side, no matter what you think, it just does. So, taking that into consideration if your laptop wasn't sold as a game platform, then you're pushing it. Check your laptop fan setting, if applicable it may have more active(higher RPM) to engage more quickly, etc.. You also may have an "iffy" fan that may cut out as its been too active under duress and starting to fail.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.