Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

Resolved Question

Some images are showing only a RED X How to fix this?

by cronos2525 / November 16, 2011 11:19 AM PST

In the last two days some images are only showing up as a RED X. How can I fix this? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some images are showing only a RED X How to fix this?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some images are showing only a RED X How to fix this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by cronos2525

Collapse -
Try This As Well....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 11:59 PM PST

Unfortunately, you haven't provided us with the operating system you're using, but these instructions should still help. And although the steps below might help, since you mention that only "some images" are showing the REDX problem, please recognize that it could be the website server for those images that is having the problem. Not you..

Give the steps below a try.

1. Install the newest version of Java using the instructions below. Java applets frequently are used to open pictures.:

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then scroll down to the ''Java Platform Standard Edition JDK 6 Update 29 (JDK or JRE)'' section (YOU DON'T WANT the Java 7 download), then click on the "Download JRE" button. Follow the prompts, select the Windows platform and the "Language", if necessary, accept the license agreement, click the "Continue" button, then download the full ''Windows OFFLINE Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Programs & Features'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u29 from the downloaded installer.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

2. Make sure you're internet explorer settings are "allowing" those pictures to be shown, like this:

Open the Control Panel, then the Internet Options icon, then the "Advanced" tab. Once there, scroll to the "Multimedia" section and make sure "Show Pictures" is CHECKED and the "Show image download placeholders" is UNCHECKED..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by cronos2525 / November 17, 2011 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: Try This As Well....

That Java platform does not show my operating system which is Windows XP Home Edition. I also am using Internet Explorer 8. Still have the red x's and most images/icons are not showing.

Collapse -
You should still ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 17, 2011 5:10 AM PST

check that you have the latest supported version of Java installed. You can access it from the link you were provided but try this one instead as it will CHECK the version for you:
http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

This link takes you to download and installation instructions:
http://java.com/en/download/help/windows_manual_download.xml

You still need to CLEAR your browser's cache and probably need to adjust the cache settings for IE 8. Try this:

1. Click on Tools menu and select Internet Options.

2. In the middle of the window that opens on the General tab click on the Delete button then make sure that ONLY Temporary Internet files and Form data are checked.

3. Click the Delete button (after deletion that window closes)

4. Now click the Settings button in the middle of the page of the General tab of Internet Options

5. Select the Automatic radio button and set the Disk Space to use for the cache to somewhere between 20 and 50 meg (more than that can be counter productive and cause problems displaying files in the cache - probably what you are experiencing)

6. Click the OK button after making the changes and OK your way out of the Internet Options dialog.

7. SHUT DOWN then re-open all instances of Internet Explorer and your image problem should be gone UNLESS it is a setting you have made in your Firewall (Zone Alarm was noted for this behavior).

Collapse -
by cronos2525 / November 17, 2011 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: You should still ...

I believe I successfully installed Java 29 I am not sure though. I also followed your instructions on clearing the cache. I still have the same red x's showing. Even when I went to download Java there were red x's and I had to move the curser around until the little hand showed where the start to download button was.

Collapse -
Java 6 Update 29 Is Supported On Your OS
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 5:22 AM PST

I've got it installed on one such system here. It's running IE 8 and Firefox 8.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by cronos2525 / November 17, 2011 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Try This As Well....

Here is a good example of what I am dealing with. Just down below where I am writing this on this same page is what is called a "Forum Icon Legend" in the first column there is a red x and the word Unread, then below that a red x and Read then below that a picture icon of a lock and the words Locked Thread. So some icons show some don't. Its the same on the other two columns.

Collapse -
All of those icon images
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 4:48 AM PST

I did a sample test of those icon images, the "Forum Icon Legend" and they are all supplied by i.i.com.com

So, if some are displaying but others are not, then the problem is with i.i.com.com and not with your browser.

Are these the only images you can't see? Or is this happening whatever web site you visit, even if it is not a CNET web site or CNET related web site?

If it is only happening with CNET then the problem is with that image supplier. If it is happening with every web site then that would not seem to be the case.

Have you tried other browsers? if so, what results?

What security software is this computer using?

Mark

Collapse -
Hello Mark
by volvogirl / November 20, 2011 6:30 AM PST

It's me volvogirl (sp3 trouble). I found this thread because I was getting the red x now so I updated Java and still couldn't get it. I also couldn't log into my Kaiser health site. It just kept comming back with the log in screen. Then I remembered when I cleaned up my pc I changed my cookie setting higher. So I put it down one and now the picture comes up and I can log in.

Just thought the cookie info might help the op here.

Collapse -
Good point.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 7:43 PM PST
In reply to: Hello Mark

And thanks for that. Hopefully the OP will see your suggestion and try it.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: some images are not showing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 4:55 AM PST

The links of that 3 images, respectively:

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/com/forums/2010/icons/unread.png
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/com/forums/2010/icons/read.png
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/com/forums/06/icon-lock.gif

which shows that your browser isn't able, for some reason, to display png files and is able to show gif files. Anyway that's my guess. Easy to check, of course, by having a look at the other links.

I remember having had the same issue a long time (at least 6 years, probably more) ago on another PC with another OS (might have been Windows 98) and another version of IE (5 or 6). I don't even remember if I solved it and how I solved it.

[url
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807?ocid=aff-n-we-loc--ITPRO40892&WT.mc_id=aff-n-we-loc--ITPRO40892]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807, apart from what already has been suggested, also mentions a setting in method 4 and 5. Worth a try.
http://libpng.org/pub/png/pngfaq.html#msie mentions manually re-registering a certain dll. That seems quite reasonable.

If that doen't help and if it's only since a few days, I'd try a system restore first. If that doesn't work, I'd try another browser (Firefox and Chrome are well known and free).

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Clear your cache.
by Coryphaeus / November 16, 2011 11:33 AM PST
Collapse -
by cronos2525 / November 17, 2011 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Clear your cache.

I cleared the Cache and still the red x's instead of icons/images.

Collapse -
Answer
by cronos2525 / November 17, 2011 4:29 AM PST
The "Show Pictures" was checked and the "Show Image Download placeholders" was Unchecked.
Collapse -
Answer
by cronos2525 / November 17, 2011 9:43 AM PST
I have the same problem on most web pages... home page looks fine.
I have not tried other browsers.
I have Norton 360
Collapse -
Answer
Some images are showing only a RED X
by cronos2525 / November 17, 2011 10:02 AM PST

I was trying to find out how to use system restore when I ran across "Set Program Access and Defaults" and I saw I could change my browser so I changed it to Google Chrome. So far no more red x's. I have not looked at many webpages yet, but so far so good. I will have to get use to using Google Chrome...I dont have a home page or favorite tab...At least not that I know of.

Thanks to All! Hope this is a lasting fix.

Collapse -
Takes little time
by richteral / November 18, 2011 4:08 PM PST

If Chrome works fine, stick with it. You will be better off, anyway; it is an excellent browser.
You may wish to run it in privacy mode (Incognito), which you will get to by pressing Control+Shift+N, as opposed to P on IE.
Control+D a bookmark makes, and they are easy to organize.

Collapse -
Chrome Google
by cronos2525 / November 19, 2011 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: Takes little time

Chrome is working fine and it is faster for me then IE. I did the incognito thing and now have bookmarks and imported my favorites from IE.
Do I have to do the incognito just once?<div>Thanks
</div>

Collapse -
Sorry
by richteral / November 19, 2011 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: Chrome Google

You have to choose Incognito manually every time, I am afraid. This is something that Google need to work out yet. However, to save you some clicks at least as long as you run Windows 7 and have Chrome as icon in the bottom bar (quick launch button or whatever they are called), if you right-click on it you can select Incognito straight from the pop-up menu. It is quicker that way.

Collapse -
red x images
by Sam1326 / October 11, 2012 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Chrome Google

I know this tread is old but for someone reading this like I did this may help.
I ran into this issue and on windows XP with IE8 and had the same exact problem. I went to java.com and download java button was missing as well so It's not java. Turns out the computer was infected with a trojan which caused the problem. Once I ran a system restore, it fixed the issue. Malwarebytes picked it up and deleted it.

Collapse -
Answer
IE8 wont display .PNG images
by vxixbear / January 30, 2013 3:47 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.