Laptops forum

Tip

SOLVED: Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA150 connects to router but no

by tikimouth / February 9, 2013 4:10 AM PST

Problem: Acer Aspire One model ZG5 AOA150, will connect to some routers and access the internet but not all routers. The driver that is in the driver support section for this model, is too old. 7.6.0.224 is the problem. Acer USA has not posted the latest backward compatible Atheros driver 7.7.0.456 on this model's support page to assist users, another problem. It is available on a later model's support pages and I will guide you there now.

Solution: Go to USA site: http://support.acer.com/us/en/default.aspx

Choose Netbook> Select your product> Netbook/Chromebook> AspireOne > AOD255 (yes, choose the wrong model) > Confirm.

Scroll down to bottom of page to Wireless LAN section and download:

Wireless LAN Driver Atheros 7.7.0.456

Save As.. to your directory of choice: 7.7.0.456_XPx86_A.zip

After downloading close all programs, right-click and extract to default directory. Make note of where it is.

Shut off wireless. Click on Setup icon in the directory.

Pop up will ask if you want to Update or Uninstall device. Uninstall the device and reboot.

Windows may discover new hardware upon reboot. Cancel.

Turn on wireless.

Go back to directory and click on Setup icon in the directory again.

Install the device.

You should have wireless back and internet working.

-tikimouth

KEYWORDS: Acer Aspire One AOA150 ZG5 Atheros LAN Wireless Router Cannot Connect Internet Driver 7.6.0.224 Netbook

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SOLVED: Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA150 connects to router but no
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SOLVED: Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA150 connects to router but no
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you
by mamatu100 / February 15, 2013 9:59 AM PST

Thank you so much. I followed your steps and it was a success. Big relief!!!

Collapse -
Wow... Thanks big time!!

Stumbled on your post solution... My daughter can now use what I thought I had to throw out!!! Very clear instructions, thanks a bunch!

Collapse -
Thank you atlast the solution is here.
by Kamche / August 6, 2013 9:53 PM PDT

Thank you tikimouth

Collapse -
THANK YOU
by felixauthor / August 24, 2013 4:37 PM PDT

I have been trying to get the Internet connection working on my Acer for months, but no forum helped until I found this thread. I had to download the file to a flash drive on my Mac and then bring it over to the Acer, but it was simple to follow all your directions and voila! I'm online at last! I've kept this little baby in the drawer for a long time, thinking I'd never be able to use it for anything but note-taking, so I'm overjoyed to have it working. Thank you so much for taking the time to fix this for everyone!

Collapse -
SOLVED: Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA150
by chrismmcc / September 18, 2013 5:01 PM PDT

Thank you so much, you are a genius, after months of frustration, you have solved my problem, now my little Aspire One is working beautifully with new mobile wifi Happy

Collapse -
Excellent
by avgmojoe / September 27, 2013 12:43 PM PDT

Thank you for this solution! Worked like a charm!

Collapse -
You're a genius
by EricLamas / November 11, 2013 10:43 PM PST

I've been looking for a solution for a long time, finally it worked, my original driver connected to some routers and some others not, now it's working like a charm. Thanks

Collapse -
Thanks, from Brazil.
by isaldo / December 30, 2013 2:32 AM PST

Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried several other things and it still fails. Now everything is back to normal and I can connect to multiple routers.

Collapse -
AOA150 connects to router but not Internet - update 2014
by tikimouth / February 19, 2014 4:11 AM PST

Hi it's Tiki again...
I'd like to update my original post...the link I provided has since gone 404, so try this:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

And navigate to Search by Product Model > Netbook/Chromebook > Aspire One > AOD255 ***Yes*** use the wrong model number for the 150 driver.

Also I didn't note that you'll need to connect to the internet to download the driver to your laptot by using a hard wired connection to your router (RJ45) using a cable connected to a modem or router.

Thanks for all of the nice notes! TM

Collapse -
Driver 7.7.0.456 has been replaced
by tikimouth / February 19, 2014 4:18 AM PST

Just noticed that the download folder for this model now contains a 9.x driver...I would try it. Let us know if it works. Good luck!

Collapse -
Driver found!
by tikimouth / February 19, 2014 4:22 AM PST

7.7.0.456 is still there....you have to drop the Operating System box to Windows XP 32-bit and may have to click See All vs Latest.

Sorry for all of the reposting.

Collapse -
wondering if i can download an updated driver through a USB?
by fiddlediddle / April 8, 2014 2:48 PM PDT

Tikimouth,

Thanks for the great post! I've yet to try your tips...one thing though, I wouldn't know what to do or if even possible to download the updated driver onto a usb?? Could you kindly show me how if you think it could bedone? It's because I don't have a modem or cable to download through...Thanks!

Collapse -
Sure.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 8, 2014 5:00 PM PDT

Downloading to a USB-stick is no different from downloading to your hard disk.
And installing from a USB-stick is no different from installing from your hard disk.

Kees

Collapse -
Many thanks!!
by nuanced / April 21, 2014 2:46 AM PDT

I have struggled with this problem for years and kept checking Acer for an update. They need help with their configuration control. So far this seems to be working good. I was taking stuff off the laptop in prep to install Ubuntu Linux out of frustration and decided to search the problem one more time and found your solution. Now I will re-evaluate and might keep XP going for a while.

Collapse -
Solved!! For real!! Thank You!!!
by missCEAG / November 10, 2014 9:21 AM PST

I have been without a working computer for almost 6 months!!! I can't thank you enough .... you've saved me hundreds of dollars as I was ready and by necessity going to buy a new computer. Even the technicians I took it too could not fix it and told me the wifi card was dead. I rarely post on these boards but this time I had to as this is the only site out if hundreds with the right answer and the proper link to fix this problem!!
THANK YOU!!!

Collapse -
Thank you!!!
by Khamier / March 18, 2015 4:06 AM PDT

Seriously,

I was getting an IP, but couldn't ping even the router, let alone anywhere on the net.

This solved it!! Thank you so much Happy

Khamier

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.