Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Solution to XP Update problems

by rico2002 / April 20, 2005 11:49 AM PDT

I have had to reinstall 12 computers so far. Here's the deal...
Microsoft put out 2 bad updates, (KB890859) & (KB893066)

This is a known problem that has not been acknowledged. You will have to reinstall XP by booting from cd. Go thru the motions of installing for the first time, you'll get to a screen (after pressing F8) that asks to hit "enter" to install or "R" to repair, choose repair, it will go automatically with very little user interaction. After the reinstall your system should be right back to normal. First thing, change Auto Updates in Control Panel to just download, not auto install. Next goto Windows update site and do a custom install so that it shows you the updates. Uncheck (KB890859) and (KB893066) and choose to hide these updates, install the updates and that's it.

Note: (KB890859) causes the reboot problem & (KB893066) causes the internet to quit, unable to obtain an ip address. (KB893066 only happened to half the computers I reinstalled, you can install it and if the internet stops working go to "Add/Remove Programs", click @ top to show updates and uninstall it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Solution to XP Update problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Solution to XP Update problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's strange
by retired / April 20, 2005 10:25 PM PDT

I have installed all the updates on both my XP Home computers and have not had the problems you stated, also there are other options available to fix the problems other than do a repair install, seems a little drastic to me .

Collapse -
re:
by rico2002 / April 21, 2005 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: That's strange

Oddly enough, and I don't know why, but this only affects some computers not all. For instance my computer has the updates but it still works, but my other 2 computers are affected, I've been trying to narrow it down, no luck. Also the reinstall is not at all drastic considering when this happens you cannot boot in any mode other than start from cd.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I installed them on the 12th, no problems here either.
by roddy32 / April 20, 2005 11:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I installed them on the 14th, no problems here either.
by caktus / April 21, 2005 11:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bad updates ?
by Papa Echo / April 20, 2005 11:55 PM PDT

Would you please share the source of the information that the updates are bad and that it is an unacknowledged problem, e.g. a review or news item ?Thanks.

Collapse -
re:
by rico2002 / April 21, 2005 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad updates ?

This problem has not been acknowledged by Microsoft but they are aware of it. I've been to many newsgroups and have found many complaints re these updates. Like I stated, 12 of my customers have had the same problem, and a couple of them did the updates again with the same result.

Collapse -
If the updates
by retired / April 21, 2005 12:43 AM PDT

are not working for them they probably have other problems with the OS, if they are bad they should be bad for all!!

Collapse -
Re: Retired's Skepticisms
by rico2002 / April 21, 2005 3:23 PM PDT
In reply to: If the updates

I don't know what to tell you. If you look at Microsoft's newsgroups you will find several complaints re: this exact issue. I've also searched the web and found others with the exact problem as well. Not sure why just yet...

Collapse -
It is hard to fault the logic -- it should be bad 4 all.
by Dr Faldown Strangely / April 25, 2005 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: If the updates

Could it be that the Troubled Twelve had occult corruptions in their installations prior to the SP2 update? It may not install properly in that case.

I have had a partial corruption in one of the 4 users in one single Xp machine, has been like that since the first month or two -- I'm talking late 2002. Because of this corruption the Word program will not work properly in that one user. (Believe me, I've gone through all the repairs and patches and troubleshoots -- in the end, it was easier to just create another user and abandon that user). Other prgrams worked fine in that user. Now how can that be? Microsoft finally advised: The problem likely resides in the Windows environment you are operating". The rest of the machine works fast and snappy, and kept clean and unspied.

BTW rico, I had a Word 'expert' tell me that the Word program NEVER has any problems..on the basis that SHE never has; definitely annoying.

Collapse -
IMHO "Drastic"
by nworley / April 21, 2005 2:14 AM PDT

There is a possibility that KB893066 will cause a problem in XP that has only SP1 installed, since SP1 has the Internet Connection Firewall disabled and the Security update was made for SP2 that has the ICF enabled, it changes the way connections are made to the internet. There is a work around if this occurres. See the documentation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893066
" MS05-019: Vulnerabilities in TCP/IP could allow remote code execution and denial of service

897656 Networking programs that send TCP packets or UDP packets over raw IP sockets may stop working after you apply security update MS05-019 to a computer that is running Windows XP with Service Pack 1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897656/

SYMPTOMS
After you apply security update MS05-019 to a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (SP1), networking programs and tools that send manually crafted Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) packets over raw Internet Protocol (IP) sockets may stop working. This behavior may also affect programs and tools that send User Datagram Protocol (UDP) packets.

CAUSE
This behavior occurs because security update MS05-019 changes the way raw sockets work when Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) is disabled. By default, ICF is disabled in Microsoft Windows XP with SP1."

I would not remove this update as it protects the machine from take over.

Collapse -
Sounds right to me
by RockMTL / April 22, 2005 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: IMHO "Drastic"

nworley, sounds right to me if the systems are not up to SP2. I too have updated, and my PC is running like a CHARM (if that's possible...when Microsoft is concerned)

Collapse -
THERE'S AN EASIER WAY! DON'T REINSTALL!
by OneThirtyEight / September 23, 2005 4:01 AM PDT

Come on people.. do a little research on the subject before you go around reinstalling Windows. What a pain.
The solution (At least for the KB893066 problem.. I've never experienced the other one) is really freakin' easy.

Delete the folder C:\Windows\$hf_mig$\KB893066
If this doesn't work, delete the whole $hf_mig$ folder.
Install your updates.
Done!
(Note: Sometimes these updates will just plain disappear from automatic updates... be sure to write down the updates you have no installed. Manually download and install them from this list: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=31886&mode=threaded

Collapse -
KB890859
by cobainkrt / September 23, 2005 9:13 PM PDT

I am having problems with the KB890859 hotfix as well! But different than yours.

As soon is this update is installed, after reboot, if I go into Device Manager and right click on any hardware item listed, it brings up a message that Microsoft Management Console has generated errors etc etc!!

In order to solve the problem, I had to do a repair of Win XP.

Microsoft don't even have this listed as a problem! If anyone knows about a fix for it (apart from not installing it), pls let me know.

Anthony

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.