Computer Help forum

General discussion

Software will not download

by Robclay / March 27, 2008 3:27 AM PDT

For the last few weeks, software from, both up-dates and new programs will not download, although I get the usual 'Thank you for downloading, etc.'page. This doesn't happen with other web sites.

I have checked my anti-virus progam (Zone Alarm), and the settings on my browser - Firefox, but nothing seems to work.

Please help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software will not download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software will not download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
software cannot download
by pc_tech2008 / March 27, 2008 5:23 AM PDT

the answer can be anything of the following:

1. possible a bad upload

2. possible download time expired sometimes posting is only there for x number of days. if it is a free site sometimes that site is programmed the uploader only x number of file size or x number of times each day that the public can allow to download.

3. keep trying

4. sometimes the same site if it is a popular site is busy in traffic, too many people are trying to go in at the same time you

5. the site you are trying to download from may be off for maintenance

6. your pc memory may not be enough to download that file size or you may not have enough hard disk space

7. you have too much memory resident program open that won't give you room to download.

8, your hard disk may be corrupted or windows may be corrupted and you don't know it if you have norton system works try running windows repair and check your hard disk and do a defragmentation also try to clean out all cookie and junk that may be installed into your hard disk while you are online that you are not aware of

9. do virus and spam scan. if you have the yahoo tool bar installed try to do a anti spy scan.

10. I have seen people who have installed tool bars (yahoo toolbar or google tool bar) resolve their problem if they disable or uninstall them

11. make sure your pc has the latest patch or update

12 try your download by using another and or a new browser

hope these tips help

Collapse -
Many thanks!
by Robclay / March 30, 2008 8:14 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply and for all the tips.

I have tried many of them already and I regularly use anti-virus and anti spyware programs, bu t I will give the others ago.

Thanks again

Collapse -
"will not download"
by Kees Bakker / March 30, 2008 8:40 PM PDT

Can you explain what happens in stead? An example with enough detail to reproduce it would be fine.

Further remarks:
- Did you try IE already? Could very well work.
- Zonealarm is antivirus indeed, but mostly a firewall. Apart from checking the settings, did you try to fully disable it?

Collapse -
Software will not download (cont.)
by Robclay / March 31, 2008 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: "will not download"

Thanks for your reply.

When trying to download an up-date or a new program from, for example, I get an immediate message saying 'Thank you for downloading (for example) SpywareBlaster 4', followed by a box directing me to a page listing alternative download sites if there is a problem - this page appears too quickly for the download to have taken place, though the 'Done' message is displayed at the foot of the page. When I try the alternative site links nothing happens.

Exactly the same thing happens in IE.

I use AVG anti-virus, Spybot Search&destroy and Ad-aware 2007 spyware removal,and, before I uninstalled it ,as instructed, tomake way for its up-date, Spyware Blaster.

Collapse -
Don't know.
by Kees Bakker / March 31, 2008 7:37 AM PDT

- It could be a problem of your user profile in Windows XP. Try another one (make a new one if necessary).
- Or try free Winsockfix from
- Or try to disable the firewall

There are no application settings that Firefox and IE have in common. So it must be something on a 'higher' level.

Collapse -
software won't download
by Robclay / April 7, 2008 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't know.

Dear Kees

I created a new profile as you suggested and that seems to work fine. I can download again1

Thanks very much for your help.

I can now, I presume, try Winsockfix to sort out the problem on my original profile?

Thanks again

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.