TVs & Home Theaters forum

Software to stream from PC to TV?

by Smolderbox8 / March 24, 2012 6:34 AM PDT

Hello - I'm a novice with computing who's seeking wisdom from his betters.

I recently purchased a Philips flatscreen TV (model #40PFL4706). The TV is internet enabled, with both built-in apps (like Netflix) and the ability to let me stream video or photos directly from my PC. The problem is that the software that allows the PC-to-TV streaming (MediaConnect) overloads my PC's processor. This probably isn't surprising; apparently MediaConnect is a hefty program, and my PC is a pretty basic machine. I'm wondering if there is any other way to stream video from my PC to my TV? Particularly, is there another program that will facilitate this (esp. any freeware)? Many thanks.

PC is a Compaq Presaio CQ60 running Windows Vista Home Basic:
single Intel processor
2.16 GHz2GB RAM
32-bit OS

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software to stream from PC to TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software to stream from PC to TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: from PC to TV
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 24, 2012 6:44 AM PDT

If the videocard of your PC has a hdmi out connector, you should be able to connect that to the hdmi in of your TV to use the TV as a monitor.

Can you tell what you mean exactly with "overload". What are the symptoms, what are the error messages?
And what are the minimum system requirements for that program and on what points your PC doesn't meet them?

Collapse -
Stream from PC to TV
by Smolderbox8 / March 24, 2012 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: from PC to TV

No HDMI port on my machine.

Concerning the processor overload: Almost immediately after beginning to project from my PC to the TV (the TV actually does show my desktop), I get a warning message that my "processor is overloaded" and that I should shut down any other applications. This warning appears even when I have no other programs open (except for the standard stuff running in the background). I don't know exactly what "overloading the processor" means, but I assume it's not a good thing. I've shut down the program almost immediately every time I've gotten this message, assuming that the longer my processor is overloaded, the better my chances of something dramatically unfortunate happening (processor burning out?)

Min. requirements for MediaConnect:

Minimum requirements:
> Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz
> 512MB RAM
> 200MB free hard disk space
> Wi-Fi 802.11g

(Recommended requirements):
> Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz
> 200MB free hard disk space
> Wi-Fi 802.11n

My machine actually meets all the recommended specs, except for the Intel Core 2 Duo processor; mine is a single core CPU. But I think that's a pretty big difference here.

Collapse -
If it says ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 25, 2012 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Stream from PC to TV

it needs a dual core CPU and yours isn't, I think you've found the answer.

It might be time to start thinking about a new PC.

Collapse -
Agree 300%
by Pepe7 / March 25, 2012 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: If it says ...

Most single core, entry level laptops like that Compaq are far from suitable for streaming. Great for most office tasks though.

Collapse -
How about streaming from a MAC to TV?
by Smolderbox8 / March 25, 2012 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Agree 300%

OK, so my PC just doesn't have the muscle for streaming. We just purchased a new MacBook Pro for my wife, however - 2.4GHz Dual-core Intel i5 processor. This is way more powerful than my poor old Compaq, and almost certainly has the processor power to stream. However, the software that comes with my TV (Philips MediaConnect) isn't compatible with Macs. Is there a software program that we could install on her Mac to stream to the TV? Especially, is there any shareware out there that can do this?

Collapse -
It's possible this TV is "DLNA"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2012 4:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Come on now...
by Pepe7 / March 26, 2012 3:44 AM PDT's an Apple product. It 'just works'. Wink

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2012 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Come on now...

It's a Russian product it "works you!"

Collapse -
Let's say I forget streaming for a moment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2012 3:15 AM PDT

Have you considered something like a Logitech Revue? I picked it up for 99 bucks and on my 47 inch, even though the revue is 720P, it looks great. I can take content to the Revue over a flash/hard drive or via a network with some fiddling.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.