Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

software to erase completely the hard drive.

by sagitario3 / November 16, 2006 4:21 PM PST

I have a pc (I think a got a virus) I erased the hard drive using "secure erase" y I tried to make one partition with
"partition commander" but both programs don't do that suppostly must to do now somebody recomended "drive erase". (I'm not sure to buy it)
(the problem is that my pc doesn't format the hard drive completely y have one with 160 gb and recognize 131gb only. and when I try to install a new SO the pc give a message (one SO is installed in your computer_before I had installed xp and now I want to install win 95 and upgrade with winMe.
but I cannot do it, because the pc abort the setup. How I can have acces to the whole hard drive erasing partition and programs even SO.

Thank for the answer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: software to erase completely the hard drive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: software to erase completely the hard drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OS problems.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2006 6:13 PM PST

I'm really sorry, but I am having difficulty understanding the problem. Your post is very muddled and it is not easy to read.

Here is what I think you have said;

1] Your computer hard disk had 2 partitions.

2] You have erased an Operating System, (OS), from one partition using a program called "Secure Erase". Did you use this program to erase the data from both partitions?

3] You tried to make one partition with "Partition Commander", but both(?) programs do not do that? Sorry, I don't know what you are saying here.

If you used "Secure Eraser" simply to erase the data from one or both partitions, surely the original partitions remain? If so, why try to create yet another partition?

4] You are trying to install a new OS, but keep getting a message during setup that there is already an OS installed. Which OS are you trying to install? Do you have the correct setup CD's for this OS?

5] The PC aborts the setup. What error messages do you get?

If I have missed anything, or got something wrong, please say what I have missed or misunderstood.

Collapse -
OS problem
by sagitario3 / November 17, 2006 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: OS problems.

Sorry for my write post. I'll try to clarify (I hope)

1.- my hard drive had 4 partitions,when I erased (o tried) I did with win98SE following the options
2.- I erase all partitions with "secure erase" program.

3,- I tried to create just one partition (I though that "partition commander" program would erase all partition and create a new one). my hard drive is 160 gb and now just recognize 131 gb And I cannot access to the partition where was installed the OS XP (7 gb)because the computer doesn't allow
a).- When I wrote both programs I was talking about "secure erase" and "partition commander"
b) When I said "erased" just erased the partitions first and then "erased" everything
4.- I tried to install win98SE.
5.- When I said the pc abort the setup. Just stop the setup.>>message>> (you have one Os Installed in this computer already) (a) quit setup (recomendaded)or (b) continue the installation anyway.

I hope now will be more clear sorry for my writing (is not my strenght) Thanks to try - understand me.

Collapse -
FAT limits and win98
by Willy / November 17, 2006 1:51 AM PST

I don't know whose HD you have, but usually most HD maker's provide some install s/w. That s/w also makes for making paritions as well. Your 131gb result is the limitations of win98 undere FAT32. You need that HD maker s/w to better handle all the extra Gbs, so get it from thier support website. One pgm. I use to totally delete/erase HD is 'KILLDISK' of the same name as thier website, get it. You run the pgm. first then use the HD maker's s/w for the insttall. Be sure to have a bootdisk or DOS floppy in order to get the OS files from it as part of the process. While you're at the HD support website, they should provide a help guide or FAQ on the topic of 131gb limits of OS and possible other tips&hints to better install the OS.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.