Audio & Video Software

Question

Software to create a Multimedia CD or DVD

by zicitron / November 5, 2012 7:43 PM PST

I need to create a multimedia CD or DVD which will include some video clips, photos, texts and hyperlinks. The final product will need to be a self-executing package. I don't want the end user to go through any installation hassle. He will simply need to insert the CD/DVD into the appropriate drive in his PC and run it from there. An autoplay feature would be nice too.
So, which software would you recommend? One with a low learning curve would be nice Wink
I can work on either a PC or MAC; so Windows or Mac software are equally welcome.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software to create a Multimedia CD or DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software to create a Multimedia CD or DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
While there are apps to help out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 11:03 PM PST

When you veered into VIDEO you went into the minefield. The video that you can expect a stock Windows machine to play is, well, you tell me. It's something you, as the creator, author and more should be able to answer. It's pretty grim and means that you also become an expert in video encoding.

No app I know does this for us.
Bob

Collapse -
Low Learning Curve?
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 11:34 PM PST

I agree with Bob in relation to video.

You can try a slide show program that can handle video.
You insert video as if it is an individual slide.
But such slide show programs require certain type of video file. You may have to convert the video to what the software can handle.

A flexible slide show program can output a DVD that can be played on a PC or a desk top DVD player connected to a TV. Or it can output to a PC only format.

You will not find a free slide show program that can do all this.
Expect to pay about $75.

It will not be a "low learning curve". More like a Medium learning curve.

Collapse -
Answer
Software to create a Multimedia CD or DVD
by zicitron / November 5, 2012 11:24 PM PST

Thank you Bob but I don't quite understand your concern about the video encoding. My videos are small clips shot with a compact digital camera. I do understand that I most probably will need to convert them with the proper codecs so that they are playable inside my project.

After some research online, I've realised that basically I'm looking for a software like Adobe Director but the latter is too much for my project. Are there any budget software that does the same thing?

Collapse -
Video etc.
by pgc3 / November 5, 2012 11:43 PM PST

I have to agree with the prior posters, it is doubtful that you will find such software in the free category. At one time, in the days of Win XP there was a freebie called PHOTOSTORY that was commonly used for similar purpose but I don't think it is around as a freebie any more and wouldn't likely be compatible with later operating systems or Mac.

Collapse -
Your specification meant that video must play without
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 11:52 PM PST

Look at your specification. Now get a plain Windows XP machine and try to play your video. It should fail. The reason is very simple. Windows XP does not come with much video decoding support. Your replies appear that you have not been working in this area very long but while you may have some of your specs down, it also means you have to know what your target platforms support.

I might have suggested a Video DVD with menus and such that play on DVD players but that falls outside your spec as many versions of Windows do not play DVDs due to license costs.

Is there any reason for the hard requirement of a CD/DVD today? I find folk that have been away from the market too long and need a little discussion about the web, netbooks, tablets and more.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.