Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Software to burn DVDs with higher aspect ratios?

by ClazVox / January 31, 2012 12:48 AM PST

Does anyone know if there is a DVD-burning program that will burn movies that have higher aspect ratios so they don't look squeezed when played on a DVD player? In other words, more choices than just 16:9 or 4:3. Or perhaps there is a program that will letterbox higher aspect ratio movies? Any info will be much appreciated...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software to burn DVDs with higher aspect ratios?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software to burn DVDs with higher aspect ratios?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I doubt it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 9:29 PM PST

The aspect ratio is locked into the film.

But most media players allow you to change the aspect ratio when playing the film itself. Have you tried that?

Mark

Collapse -
by ClazVox / February 1, 2012 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: I doubt it

Thanks, Mark. These burned movies play just fine in my VLC Player, but the elderly person I'm burning DVDs for has no computer -- only a DVD player, and the larger aspect ratios looked squeezed on his TV. I've tried changing his HDTV settings, but that doesn't work either. Do appreciate your taking the time to respond...

Collapse -
Just a thought
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 7:42 PM PST

I understand the difficulty.

But does this DVD Player have any controls at all? If so it may be that you can change the aspect ratio on that.

I don't know if it will help, but there's a guide about Aspect Ratio here;
http://www.cnet.com/1991-7874_1-5140690-4.html

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
by ClazVox / February 3, 2012 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Just a thought

No Mark, no aspect controls on the DVD player. Maybe I can find a player for him that does have such controls; has to be a cheaper tho. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Answer
I was waiting for the first answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 3:19 AM PST

Now there is a way using VIRTUAL DUB but it's not for the timid and the results and use of the program may not be worth the effort. Here I just use the HDTV picture modes for the best effect.

However I have replaced a few titles with newer BD titles if I felt it was worth it.
Bob

Collapse -
by ClazVox / February 1, 2012 6:26 AM PST

Thanks R... I'll check out VIRTUAL DUB and see if I can figure out how to use it, lol. This would be so much easier if this very elderly person had a laptop with HDMI, but he doesn't own a computer nor would he know how to use one if he did (see my reply above). Thanks for the suggestion...

Collapse -
Answer
Software to burn DVDs with higher aspect ratios
by ashutoshets / February 20, 2012 7:25 PM PST

I Think nero is the beter option for you because it burnd DVD .

Collapse -
Can you share your experiences?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 21, 2012 3:16 AM PST

It's just that copying commercial DVD's to a different ratio is not simple matter of copying the DVD.

How did you do that in Nero?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

SEEING COLORS?

What do the color stripes mean on your tires?

Brian Cooley tells you why you might see various color lines on the wheels of your automobile.