Internet Services Providers

General discussion

Software to Boost Dial-Up Connection??

by jill122 / February 21, 2007 4:37 AM PST

I am on Dial-UP with an internal modem. I don't know how to tell you how slow or fast it runs -- I just know that when I've checked it using internet sites that test the on-line speed it always comes up "very slow."

Just today I used the microsoft diagnostic tool which recommended I change Maximum Port Speed to 9600. I did that -- not much has changed.

I've been looking around for some software options to boost the speed and found webROCKET and Zilla Internet Connection 2.0.0.0.

Any ideas or recommendations (other than to go to DSL).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software to Boost Dial-Up Connection??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software to Boost Dial-Up Connection??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Won't happen. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 22, 2007 10:37 AM PST

Software cannot change the physics of the telephone cable pair. Read the plain English explanation at my site below. And the port speed is the speed between the modem and the processor. It has no effect on connect speed. Set it to the max, 12,500, and leave it. You're SOL until you upgrade to DSL or cable.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and
digital data, internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Modem Diagnostics../
by castingRod47 / February 27, 2007 8:00 PM PST

I try to use as little as possible..
On a CLEAN INSTALL of your XP OS the MODEM will be SET to its FASTEST setting in the DEVICE Manager..and will also inform you that its is OPERATEING Properly..and also offer you to QUERY the Modem..on a CLEAN INSTALL this should all be perfectly fine..there should be no problems..
But..as you use your PC and begin to add webpages you may find what's called MODEM "noise"..this really falls under the same REPAIR as PC-Cleaning..
Since your PC will slow if you stack up lots of FILES/FOLDERS in MY DOCUMENTS..the MODEM..
will slow from activities out on the internet..and also your LOADING Time on your Desktop may increase..so just letting the MODEM Drivers LOAD by giving some time(like 10-minutes)..may solve some problems..
But..I have found that personal webpages like BLOGS..PhotoAlbums..and Messenger Services add LINKS the travel back to your PC and SLOW things ALOT..this is MODEM<<<<----Noise..to eliminate the Noise...
You really need to DELETE those webpage accounts..and Re-Do them..
Which really means you will succumb to the same problem in a couple of days..anyway..you decide to use such things and their UP-Keep is all in your hands..
..MODEM-Speed..
I get a Reading when I'm SIGNING-ON/msn.com gives me my MODEM Speed in kbps.....I use a USRROBOTICS(5669B)Modem and its consistant at 50.60 kbps..it will drop to 49.00 kbps from Modem Noise..this means I have things to Clear Up..like incoming EMAIL..or some UpDate Service is attempting to Scan my PC..I sometimes need to re-configure my IE7 Internet Options..to get these things to complete..and have taken some 30-minutes to get online at 50.60 kbps..its a Re-Configuration in IE7..Internet Options..sometimes I need to re-install the msn.com CD..just the MSN-Explorer..not the MSN-Messenger..which takes like 10-minutes to complete..its usually after some really heavy Web-stuff like Uploads that I get problems needing Re-Configuration..
I would be careful about changeing your MODEM..since I have changed to a USROBOTICS Modem..it will NOT install until all of my Microsoft Update Service-->>EXPRESS Updates have completed..needing a Winzip Program to run the Update for the MODEM..
So I use my DELL MODEM..and its CD for a Modem Install..and after all of my XP is installed I can switch to the USROBOTICS Modem..after all EXPRESS Updates have completed..needing the Winzip Program..
I would also suggest that you perform a OS Re-Install with all PCI-expansion Cards REMOVED..and all Peripherals dis-connected..this seems the best OS install procedure..
As far as I have found/a good modem needs nothing in the way of accelleration software.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.