Phones forum

General discussion

Software Manager by Macrovision--Hate it Can't Get Rid of It

by barngal / February 27, 2009 11:45 AM PST

My problem is the software I installed that came with my Blackberry Curve about ?a year ago?
When I got my Blackberry i installed the software on my PC at home and at work. I didn't stay with the blackberry curve because...well, I couldn't adjust the fontsize large enough to read without my glasses on, too frustrating I abandoned it.

Home computer is Dell 8350, Windows XP SP3,
not sure what else is pertinent

BUT it left me with this evil program installed--Software Manger by Macrovision. On the work computer not such a big problem, although the none instructions from the "IT" folks has successfully removed it. But it seems like its quarantined or something...after I called IT, its still loaded but it doesn't seem to interfere (still runs its message occassionally, pretty weird)

At home, it has been impossible to remove, plus it prevents me from removing any other programs. It replaced the windows software installer/uninstaller program with itself, but it won't uninstall anything and also won't install anything. I can install programs from my CDROM but I can't install anything downloaded. It seems I can update some of the existing software, however.
It is totally interfering with my Acrobat Reader updates, So my computer totally crashes with every acrobat file I try to open...

I have researched this on the web--there's this "uninstall" download that doesn't work at all. Seems it didn't work for other people either. Its been over a year, and sometimes this message about "windows cant find program to install" message just goes flipping on my screen..

this is evil and it definitley installed with the Blackberry software...and i can't uninstall the blackberry software either...

Anyone here have this problem, and anyone found a fix? My web search turned up plenty of folks with the problem but no fix I managed to make work...

I could really use some help. I haven't had great luck with GeekSquad.
they came out and their fix for my home network x2 failed, I was able to fix it myself on the phone with earthlink and linksys. So I'm not inclined to call them...though I'd love it if someone could take care of this.

I'm wondering if the newer blackberry software has changed and this program is no longer loaded...
thanks for any advice

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software Manager by Macrovision--Hate it Can't Get Rid of It
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software Manager by Macrovision--Hate it Can't Get Rid of It
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Revo Uninstaller, or Ccleaner
by rrh13 / February 27, 2009 12:00 PM PST

Have you tried either of these programs. I have had great success with both in getting rid of programs like these. rrh

Collapse -
Newer Blackberry
by Gatewood Kistler / February 27, 2009 12:21 PM PST

You asked if this program is included with the new Blackberries. I have the Bold, and this program is not on there.

Collapse -
Start in Safe Mode to un-install
by Box134 / March 2, 2009 3:57 AM PST

If you know the name of the executable, you can start your Windows computer in Safe Mode, navigate to the offending file(s) and simply delete them. I ran across an anti-virus program that that couldn't be un-installed and that's the method I used to kill it for good. You can find the names of the executables by using task manager to see what their names are and locating them on your hard drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.