Samsung

General discussion

Soap Opera Effect on the Samsung 7000 Plasma series

by koffas / June 24, 2010 3:08 AM PDT

The recent Consumer Reports review of the PN58C7000 gave the set much praise, but highlighted a major flaw in the out-of-the box settings configuration for the 7000 series plasma...

"We saw an image smoothing effect on all film content, so our film-based content had a more "video-like" appearance. TVs with this feature typically give users the option to turn it off via the on screen menu, but this model did not provide this option."

There are referring to the motion judder canceller. On both the 7000 and 8000 series plasmas, the MJC is set to either standard or smooth out-of-the-box. The 8000 series has a menu option to turn off this processing. The 7000 series does not come with the menu option.

One workaround to disable MJC is to toggle the GAME setting on/off.

Samsung: please release a firmware revision that sets MJC=off on both series. 8000 owners can then enable it as they wish and 7000 owners do not need to find creative workarounds to do the same.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Soap Opera Effect on the Samsung 7000 Plasma series
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Soap Opera Effect on the Samsung 7000 Plasma series
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Soap Opera Effect on the Samsung 7000 Plasma series
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 24, 2010 4:35 AM PDT

koffas,

I appreciate the feedback.

The lack of the Motion Judder Controller is not a flaw, just like the C8000 also has the Pixel Black Filter and an additional Calibration Mode, along with a higher dynamic contrast ratio. There are features that differentiate the two different products from each other. Both units have CinemaSmooth, which should give any movie a smooth playback.

I'm seeing two sentences from an article, and I'm not sure what context they're in, so it'd be difficult to accurately respond further to the quote you posted.

GAME Mode does disable some processing settings, so if that information improves the picture quality for some, I'd encourage them to use that.

However, I don't see a firmware being released to make the two units with identical features. If people want the Motion Judder Control, then they should purchase the C8000 series.

--HDTech

Collapse -
clarification
by koffas / June 24, 2010 5:28 AM PDT

You're misunderstanding. I don't mean to say the 7000 series should be sold with menu access to the MJC.

Both the 7000 and 8000 plasma series the same video processing engine, with the 8000 series allowed menu access to disable/enable MJC as the owner sees fit. The problem is that Samsung engineers have enabled the MJC on both series out-of-the-box. Since the 7000 does not have menu access to MJC, there is no way to turn it off! The solution is not give the 7000 menu access, but to have the firmware set MJC=off in the background from the start. That way, the 7000 will have it permanently disabled.

The game mode toggle workaround disables extra video processing, including MJC, but most owners of the 7000 would not know to do this.

Collapse -
clarification
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 24, 2010 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: clarification

koffas,

Ah, I see what you're saying. Thanks for clarifying.

I'll see if one of our product experts can look into this more. Was this information something that CR published, or is this information gathered on the Internet or compiled elsewhere?

--HDTech

Collapse -
re: clarification
by koffas / June 24, 2010 9:52 AM PDT

It has been discussed over at AVS for months. Many have returned/exchanged their sets, assuming the soap-opera look or pixellation artifacts are some defect in the video processing for the TV. CR is the first I know of that has documented the issue in print. I would think the issue could be resolved with a firmware update.

Please let me know when you hear back from the product expert.

Thanks.

Collapse -
update?
by koffas / July 12, 2010 3:58 AM PDT

Any updates?

In reading just the reviews on CNET, I saw the following issues that remark on motion artifacts, which are almost certainly due to the MJC.

PN50C7000:

Cons: Ghosting on fast moving HD images

Cons: The dot crawl (or motion blur) is significant, especially on older film. Worked with Samsung tech support, which was good, but provided no help. Returned it for Panasonic plasma, which didn't have any issues with dot crawl.

PN58C7000

Cons: Has motion artifiact "auras" that I previously only associated with 120/240 LCD technology

And from Samsungs own website...

I just bought the Samsung plasma pn58c7000. Everything look great except when you watch regular blue ray movies like Avatar or many tv series and advertisements, the pictures look kind a little bit slow like home made movie.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/plasma-tv/PN58C7000YFXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=forum

Collapse -
C7000 bug is unfixable.
by PGLGreg / July 12, 2010 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: update?

It's very odd bug to have the MJC stuck in the ON position, when MJC is not even supposed to be a feature of the plasma C7000. But how can it be fixed? If a user control for MJC is added, that reduces substantially the product differentiation from the C8000. But if the MJC is simply turned off for the C7000, what about users who like the "soap opera" effect? It will seem to them that a terrible bug has been introduced, decreasing the value of their sets. Not good.

I'll venture the prediction that nothing is ever done about this.

Collapse -
Same problem
by santakrooz / July 22, 2010 5:52 AM PDT

Just got new 7000 plasma and it exhibits the annoying "soap opera effect" like on 240hz LEDs but there are no controls to turn it off. Please issue a firmware update or I need to return the TV. Can't stand to watch 1080p movie content this way. Very annoying.

Collapse -
Turning off MJC on 7000 series Plasma
by santakrooz / July 22, 2010 6:03 AM PDT

Koffas, thanks for the work around idea. I just got the new 63" 7000 Plasma and am concerned about the annoying "soap opera effect" that you typcially see on LEDs with the motion judder stuff - which is one reason why I went with Plasma - so unless and until Samsung issues an update for this your workaround may be the only thing that would keep me from returning the TV. So I know where the Game on/off is - does this basically toggle MJC on/off? and it must come from the factory set to "on" then?

Love the TV otherwise, it's really an amazing set - but this effect when watching blu-ray is it's achillies heel.

Thanks again for the tip. I will try it tonite and let you know if it solves the problem.

Collapse -
workaround
by koffas / July 22, 2010 6:13 AM PDT

Yes. Toggling the GAME mode setting (located in the GENERAL section of the onscreen menu) from off-->on-->off will indirectly shut off MJC. You need to do this for each input (HDMI1, HDMI2, HMDI3, etc) since MJC is set independently for each input.

Which firmware do you have? When I installed 1022, I didn't see the effect, so I presumed Samsung finally addressed goof up.

Collapse -
Samsung releases new firmware (v1026) to disable MJC!
by koffas / August 13, 2010 4:48 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.