Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

So should I delete my 360 Share Pro?

by ooOORosieOOoo / August 31, 2006 12:03 AM PDT

I've been reading the threads here and first off I'm going to say that I don't know much about music download programs. While searching for Shareaza to download (a friend told me she uses it) I ended up with 360 Share Pro (don't know how the hell I did but anyway!)
It's working fine but I've been scared now from reading these posts about the RIAA coming after you. How come they get some people and not others? All my friends have things like Shareaza and Limewire downloaded so how come they haven't been caught?
Also, 360 Share Pro said that what I paid was a one-off fee; they won't try and charge me again will they? Cos can't they do anything now that they have my cc details?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So should I delete my 360 Share Pro?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So should I delete my 360 Share Pro?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...
by mousearoma / August 31, 2006 3:37 AM PDT

* The 'sharing' of copyrighted music is illegal, so the chances of you getting caught really shouldn't matter.

* Simply having P2P software downloaded and installed doesn't constitute an illegal act in most countries. Instead, it's what you use such programs to download.

* The RIAA, MPAA, etc are mainly targeting those that 'share' in bulk...that is, a couple hundred downloads. Why? There are thousands, if not millions, of people committing piracy. Since they can't find and prosecute them all they go for the 'bigger fish' first.

* No one is exempt from prosecution, however. They have gone after the 'little fish' as well to make that point...you commit a crime and you risk doing the time.

* There's no telling what the authors/distributors of 360 Share Pro will do. They are known to be fraudulent and scam users, so I'd keep an eye on the credit card billings from now on. You can dispute charges, but that doesn't prevent them from charging you in the first place.

* Just to be clear, the purchase of 360 Share Pro does not give you any right to download copyrighted music.

If you're wise you'll uninstall the software and delete any copyrighted content you may have downloaded, then hope that your name doesn't appear on the next list the RIAA issues.

John

Collapse -
Thanks, but what about...
by ooOORosieOOoo / August 31, 2006 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Well...

Okay, thanks for answering. I wish I hadn't installed 360 Share PRo. =(
I'm still a little confused about how some people get caught and some don't. Like I said, ALL my friends do it, which doesn't make it right, I know, but I don't understand how they don't get caught.
What about Limewire and Shareaza? Are they legal? Because they seem to be the main two that my friends use.

Collapse -
Your friends haven't been caught
by Kiddpeat / September 1, 2006 12:43 AM PDT

yet.

That's the key word.

Collapse -
360share
by BpTSA / November 16, 2008 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: Well...

I was trying to get information about Pirate Bay, thought I was enrolling with that site. It doesn't seem that it worked that way, I recognized the LimeWire view, and immediately got concerned...HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND! I didn't want to donate money to a black hole somewhere!

b

Collapse -
don't worry
by chappyland / September 11, 2006 5:43 PM PDT

The music company's are just making up a bunch of crap so they can make money.
Yes, I do have a friend that got busted...and got 3 years in jail on a reduced sentence. He was selling music and movies out of his house like it was a crack house. The police thought they were doing a drug bust but all he had was boot leg DVD's and CD's.
I guess what I am trying to tell you is if you are running a illegal business of any kind you will get busted. first you have to make money and it sound like you are not running a business. So don't worry. instead of scarring kids company's like Sony should do what they are good at which is making TV's and computers.

Collapse -
360 share pro
by cabeck / January 11, 2007 11:35 PM PST

I paid in order to download music from 360 share pro.... I really wanted lime wire.. anyway, if what they are doing is illegal wouldn't they have to refund everyone's cash? I'm having major problems with mine at the moment anyway which I'm not happy about. If you pay for a program it should work, don't you agree? Thanks so much. Any comments or suggestions will help tremendously.

Collapse -
360 SharePro and Limewire
by ktreb / January 12, 2007 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: 360 share pro

These are both legal for filesharing material you have PERMISSION to share. Having or paying for the software DOESN'T give you permission. If you are the copyright owner, meaning you wrote or are the artist, you can upload the songs on 360 Share Pro (or Limewire) and give permission to others to share your songs. Or you may want to share your home movies. These are examples of legal uses. So, 360 Share Pro doesn't have to give you back your money because of the legal issues. Of course, they should give you your money back because it's not working. Good luck with that. From what I've been reading in the forums, I've seen a lot of complaints and no resolution. If you paid by credit card, you can open up a dispute with your credit card company. Maybe you can get your money back that way.

Collapse -
360 Share Pro
by debbi1024 / March 13, 2007 11:59 AM PDT

I searched Frostwire, found Free-Frostwire.com and downloaded what I thought was Frostwire. Turned out to be 360 Share Pro. As soon as I figured out what had happened, I contacted them for a refund. They are trying to keep part of the money for processing. Watch out for this company. What a scam!

Collapse -
thanks all
by Hotzel / March 15, 2007 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: 360 Share Pro

well I was looking for limewire when I somehow inadvertently downloaded 360sharepro for I dunno 20 bucks???

And at first it worked fine but for the longest time I thought I had downloaded the upgraded version of LimeWire. The clever copying of a similar interface probably was the reason that I continued to be fooled. Until I tried to get support, I was quite happy...I could access the songs I wanted to hear and sometimes it was a PITA but I ended up getting most of material by being persistent and creative.

Now, if I open the program it locks out any other online service I am on, including messenger and just basic internet, until I reboot. The website has NO active links so you are on your own. They took my money and probably millions of other peoples too. It was called a one time fee. Great~!!!! Lets empower all these scam-artists to take a dollar from a million people so that they can realize the American Dream... isn't it... "get rich with no accounting for morality" and yes thats cynical, but to hell with these opportunists...lets crush 'em....

My opinion....thats all

Cheers,

Alastair

Collapse -
Shareaza
by Darren_gracie / March 18, 2007 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks all

Hi,

I was recently informed about the DVD/MUSIC sharing software Shareaza.

I searched the internet and came across what I thought I had been looking for.

It stated that it was a one off fee, you got other software free with it and you get unlimited access to DVD's & Music forever.

I have been looking on the net, and I have discovered that Shareaza is free and I shouldn't have paid for this.

Can anyone out there please let me know if I should have paid for this as a one off payment, or have I been ripped off.

Also, I can download music, however it will not let me play it???.... can anyone help with that?

KR

Darren

Collapse -
FOLLOW THIS AND YOU WILL GET 360 SHARE PRO WORKING AGAIN!!
by jackke3 / April 5, 2007 9:27 PM PDT

ok so follow this exactly and get 360 working ...go to
http://360-share-pro.com/click on MEMBERS LOGIN (top left)click on agree on next page and notice at bottom the note for old customers,forgot password. enter your email address you used to sign up originally and within seconds you WILL get a email informing you of your login details (your login name is your entire email address usually)anyway next you should now be in the members area.(if for some reason you arenot you havent followed this right!!click on bonus software and download java (in order for the program to startup and load the newest version of java must be installed.click on other file sharing application and download 360 share...there you go ,easy! lol!!ps i copied the companies details incase anyone is having problems contacting them.... jackee

How do I contact you?
For all technical support issues, you can contact our support team by:
Knowledgebase Click here to access to our Knowledge Base
Phone Toll Free: 1-888-448-6872 For International: 514-733-2716
Email: Click here to access our email system.

Opening hours:
Every day from 7AM to 7PM - Easter Standard Time (GMT-5)

e to the Members Area

Collapse -
by dan&bernie / May 15, 2007 4:52 AM PDT

if i do this am i going to get charged again as i already bought it one off payment-lifetime subscription

Collapse -
pro 360
by jackke3 / May 15, 2007 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: 360

hi no they wont charge you again.

Collapse -
360 Pro
by scr61 / April 19, 2007 7:32 PM PDT

I downloaded 360 Pro when my son received his IPod Nano, so I thought this was some kind f agreed aliance with Apple.

So, long story short it suddenly locked up and he now can't get to his music. I paid the money of coarse so now feel very slightly pissed off to say the least.

Tried yoir're fix, but when you request the password it kicks out.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

Collapse -
360 password
by macreal / April 22, 2007 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: 360 Pro

that seems to be normal for this company. i am having similar issues. but they do not send out the new password usually for at least 24 hours. and i believe only monday through friday.
i have emailed them for some issues in the past and the response has taken up to 3 days.
good luck

Collapse -
360 Pro Share
by MJWeir / June 20, 2007 11:38 AM PDT

Did you get your 9.95 back? They did the same to me. I paid it and then could not get it to work so I cancelled it within hours. They are keeping the 9.95 and I am NOT happy. They have a 7 day trial and no where on the site did it say it would keep 9.95.

Collapse -
I agree, i unclick ever offer except the one time fee 1.99
by trueandclean2011 / January 24, 2010 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: 360 Pro Share

same thing happen to me, stated 1.99 one time 7 day trial fee, and then their email revealed they bill me 12dollars. Stated I was getting bonus software which was Netspy Protector. Not sure this is worth 10dollars but I am using it, you have to what out for crazy computer viruses when you use P2P. I know this from experience when using KAAZAA back in the days of dialup isp.

Collapse -
I Have Many Problems with 360 SharePro
by ScottX30 / April 10, 2008 8:04 AM PDT

Last year i paid for a life time subscription and last night i was trying to download it to my laptop but they asked me for my credit card to confirm and then they billed me $43.00.I sent 3 emails now and they wont refund my credit card. Today i called there 800 number and every time i get put on hold for the next operator,then they come back and say the normal buisness hours are now closed and they say there open from 7am to 7pm,The times i called where from 11am to 3:30pm.

Collapse -
The Solution to 360SHAREPRO
by ScottX30 / June 5, 2008 6:29 AM PDT

i wrote back in march about the problems i was having connecting and now its all fine. All you have to do is write a ticket to them and within 24 hours they will respond with the solution.They are very helpful. I wrote to 360SharePro 5 times before i found the problem with mine. Some of the problems are in the settings and the version of windows, but the biggest problem was i have vista and 3 firewalls,
finally it was the firewalls holding me from getting connected. When i turned off the firewalls (including Norton) it all worked fine.You can turn off your firewall while downloading but turn it back on when you are done.But if your still having problems connecting just write them a ticket. Scott

Collapse -
360 SharePro IS a scam!!
by lahtorrent / July 6, 2010 1:52 PM PDT

I just had the same problem - I was led to believe I was donating money to TorrentDay.org. Lo and behold, the software downloaded was 360 SharePro, even though it was not stated ANYWHERE that I was buying something other than TorrentDay.org. I am looking for the agencies I can report this to. At the very least I will inform the Better Business Bureau. This is theft by deception. In addition they charged me for additional software which I did NOT purchase.

Collapse -
Finding My 360 Share pro
by Lamtrese / August 23, 2008 5:13 AM PDT

hello

I rebooted my computer and now i can't find my 360 share pro. i can't even find it under programs. how do i get it back

Collapse -
Reinstalling Share Pro
by ScottX30 / August 23, 2008 5:30 AM PDT

Hello Lamtrese, If you rebooted your computer and lost the 360 Share Pro exe. you can reinstall in with no problems.Also keep it on your C:, drive to track it down next time this happens. You may also want to go to start,files./folders and do a search on 360 Share Pro, it may be just hidden in some folder.

Hope this helps.
ScottX

Collapse -
360 share pro
by midnitejam / April 10, 2011 8:19 AM PDT

360share pro is a scam and encludes oodles of trojans within its downloads

Collapse -
360 share pro
by dan&bernie / May 14, 2007 8:41 PM PDT

yeah we bought it b4 crimbo and it took ages to set it up and now cant get it to work again, do we need to delete then reinstall again? if youve already paid then i dont think theres anything anyone can do nice 1 Wink

Collapse -
legal???
by xx_zoe.f_xx / March 8, 2008 9:53 PM PST

both me and my mum are confused about the legal part of 360 share pro.
we've had it for just over two years but have recently heard a lot about people being prosecuted for it.
my mum payed the 'one off fee' thinking this makes it legal because she's payed but is it?
we had one problem with it but i sorted that out easily and since then it's been fine, it was the fact that it needed updating
so could someone fill us in on whether we should be in jail right now or not
thanks

Collapse -
Depends on what country you are in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2008 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: legal???

So you have to seek legal advice.

But check your moral compass. Are you sharing files you don't own?

Collapse -
most likely all illegal
by ktreb / March 9, 2008 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: legal???

If you're getting popular music/artists, and even the not-so-popular ones, chances are what what you've downloaded is illegal. You do know that 360 Share Pro is a peer to peer file sharing network (such as Limewire and the old Napster before they went legitimate)? So when you're getting music, you're not getting it from the company that makes 360 Share Pro. You're getting it from someone's share files on their computer. And other people may be getting their music off your computer. Whether you do share or not depends on your settings, I guess. And the only way any of this is legal is if they or you are the copyright owners (they/you wrote, published, or performed the songs or own them because they/you are the record label that puts out the songs).

Merely paying for the program doesn't bypass any of this. Somewhere toward the bottom of the homepage of their website is this statement or something close to it:

"The purchase of a membership, however, is not a license to upload or download copyrighted material. We urge you to respect copyright and share responsibly. Click here for info on using p2p safely."

This little statement is an attempt to absolve their company of any liability.

Chances are you won't go to jail for it. Chances are you won't get caught. You never know. But the music industry, especially in the United States, want to prosecute people in civil court as a deterrent. Their usual tactic is to initially sue for millions of dollars then try to settle out of court for a fraction of that.

Read this recent case which made news late last year about Jammie Thomas in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jammie_Thomas

I have yet to hear of a case where actual big money or even small payouts happened. But if you get sued, you have to get a lawyer, and that costs money, time, and a mess of headaches.

Collapse -
I'm having connection problems with my 360 Share Pro
by clake08 / May 15, 2008 10:54 PM PDT

I've had it for months and had never had problems with it connecting. Now if it does at all takes forever and needs to be disconnected and connected again. Sometimes I have to completly shut down the program or computer just to see if it'll connect. Before it'd show the firewall logo until it connected. Now it seems it's dormant and staying like that. Is anyone else having this problem? If so what should I do?

Collapse -
360 Share Pro
by TKeevan62 / June 2, 2008 8:20 AM PDT

I can't find any phone # to call, or any e-mail address to cancel. I've tried since 10 minutes after I gave my money. I have had virus after virus from downloading from their site. Does ANYONE know what to do about getting your money back? I paid the the year & $1.29 per month fee. I am furious!

Someone PLEASE, PLEASE help,
Thanks in advance,

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address to prevent spam harvesters from picking it up.

Collapse -
It's a scam...
by John.Wilkinson / June 5, 2008 2:08 AM PDT

In essence they took a free service/application (see: Limewire), which offers in large part illegal content, slapped a few changes on the software, and charged you for it. They have a contact form on their website, but only a handful have gotten a legitimate response/resolution to the problem. Thus, you're looking at a call to your credit card company to block any future charges, recover what you can by filing a fraud report, and writing off the rest as a lesson learned.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.