Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

So I think I have a Virus on my PC....

by J4R3D / August 10, 2008 11:29 AM PDT

Idk whats going on... the only real problem is that when surfing the internet, I can only go to certain websites. Cnet obviously works, but Google wont work... Amazon wont work.... the page just loads forever and never pops up. Also I can't access yahoo, which is what I use for my email.... Luckly, I have other ways to get around this annoyance (iPod/PS3), but when I'm on my computer it's nice to have the access too. So if I go and spend the $80 dollars on Virus Software... is it going to help?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So I think I have a Virus on my PC....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So I think I have a Virus on my PC....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How about running an online scan?
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 10, 2008 11:54 AM PDT

Please perform a scan with TrendMicro Housecall

Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.

1. Under "Scan your PC", please click "Scan now. It's free!".
2. Then under ?Continue with your free scan? click on ?Launch Housecall Free Scan?.
A new window will open.
3. Read and put a Check next to "Yes, I accept the Terms of Use".
4. Click the "Launch HouseCall" button.
**If Java support is disabled on your system''' or no Java runtime environment is installed, click on the link in the red box to download and install Java or enable Java.
5. Next, click on "Starting HouseCall". Please be patient while Housecall downloads necessary components. You may receive a Security Warning " Do you want to install this software? Name: hcImpl.cab Publisher: Trend Micro..." Click Run when prompted.

Please be patient while Housecall downloads necessary components. You may receive a Security Warning about the TrendMicro Java applet and asking if you want to run it Click "Yes" when prompted.

6. Under "'''Scan complete computer for malware, grayware, and vulnerabilities'''" click the "Next>>" button. It will download the latest scan engine and pattern files. When the definitions have been downloaded, the scan will start. Once the scan is complete, it will take you to the summary page.
7. Once done, it will take you to the ?Results page? In the ?cleanup options? select the first dial button "Clean all detected infections automatically".
8. Click the "Clean now>>" button.
9. When presented with a notification "According to your instructions, all detected infections were cleaned...", click "OK".

Scans for malware and rootkits.

Please perform a scan with F-secure online scanner

1. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Start Scanning"
You may receive an alert on the address bar at this point to install the ActiveX control, please do so.
2. After installed, click on Accept on the license agreement.
3. Click "Full System Scan" to download the scanning components and begin scan and cleaning.
4. When the scan completes, click the "I want to decide item by item" button.
5. For each item found, Select "Disinfect" and click "Next".

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or alternate download link

* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
* - Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* - Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.
* MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.

* On the Scanner tab:
* - Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
* - Then click on the Scan button.
* The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
* Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

* -- Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

**If you encounter this message:"c:\program files\malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll Unable to register the dll/ocx: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5" Click on ignore mbamext.dll

What did the scans find, IF anything ?

Collapse -
Sorry Marianna...
by glenn30 / August 10, 2008 11:59 AM PDT

We were writing at the same time. I knew most likely you would be along with better and more detailed information. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) Don't be sorry, Glenn...... NO problem at all :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 10, 2008 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry Marianna...
Collapse -
You can do it yourself and for free...
by glenn30 / August 10, 2008 11:56 AM PDT

Use the things recommended in these forums... most are free and just as good as paying for unknown or unreliable software.

Good to start with are these:

SUPERAntiSpyware Free
MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware

Can find them using Google. There are others... also online scans at such places as Trend Micro's Housecall. Others may give you more information.

Good luck!

Glenn

Collapse -
To ligroy: why I deleted your post.
by Kees Bakker / June 8, 2010 5:24 AM PDT

1. A direct link to an exe-file. We don't really like that. Better link to the download page, so people can read about the program they download, before they decide to install it.
2. Your blog-promotion at the end. Blog promotions aren't allowed here.

Please repost without those offending items.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.