Cameras forum

General discussion

So did I downgrade?

by CarbineKid / September 1, 2009 2:10 PM PDT

Hi Everyone. First time on the forum.
I had a very bad week. My mother-in-law dropped my Canon SD1000 in the pool. We dried it out...and it still works. However it seems like the whites are awefully bright and "bleed" throught out the pictures. I think my camera is a goner.

Anyhow the next day my printer died Sad Murphys law I guess. So I went to Radio Shack to look around for some replacements and I found a clearance bundle deal. I broungt a Canon pixma ip4600 printer and Canon power shot A470 for $100 NIB(thats all I had too lol).

I'm pretty sure my Canon SD1000 is DOA...so will the A470 be just as good? The mega pixals are the same(7.1)..and they are both Canons...Im hoping I got some luck buying this camera.
Thanks for any responses

PS I'm a typical point and shoot kind of guy. I keep all the setting on Auto.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So did I downgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So did I downgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon A470
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 2, 2009 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: So did I downgrade?

The A470 is Canon's entry level camera but it has been rated as very good.

Not a lot of bells and whistles, just good pictures.

It comes with AA Alkaline batteries which will only last about 30-40 pictures.
But you can buy rechargeable AA NiMH batteries/charger for a bit over $10.
They will last about 4 times longer on one charge.

Collapse -
So did I downgrade?
by hillarry33 / September 3, 2009 1:01 PM PDT

Hi There!
This is Hillarry from US!

Im new in this site!

It comes with AA Alkaline batteries which will only last about 30-40 pictures.
But you can buy rechargeable AA NiMH batteries/charger for a bit over $10.
They will last about 4 times longer on one charge.

Thanks!...
Good Luck!

Collapse -
still uncertain
by CarbineKid / September 3, 2009 1:30 PM PDT

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm still uncertain as to if I should keep the A470. I'm affraid I jsut took a step back when it comes to digital cameras. This is my main camera, and I need it to be a good one. The price was right...but now Im uncertain as to if the a470 was the right decision.

Collapse -
Canon A470
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 4, 2009 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: still uncertain
Collapse -
Depends on what features you need
by Mgradyc / September 19, 2009 12:15 PM PDT

The major difference is the more expensive SD1000 is smaller, lighter, and "hipper" than the slightly larger, heavier A470.

The two cameras in question appear to have the same sensor. Sensor size, pixel density, ISO sensitivity, etc.. are identical in the specs.

The zoom on the A470 runs from 38-132, while the SD1000 is 35-105, so the A470 has a longer reach on the telephoto end while sacrificing just a tad on the wide angle. Accordingly, the maximum aperture on the wider SD1000 is slightly faster (f2.8) than the A470 (f3.0). At maximum zoom the A470 (f5.8) is slower than the SD1000 (f4.9), but that is mostly due to the longer focal length. One would expect the A470 zoomed to a 105 focal length would have a maximum aperture comparable to the SD1000's 4.9.

Look at them side by side here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_a470%2Ccanon_sd1000&show=all

The only real performance difference is in the frame rate for movie mode. The SD1000 can shoot 640x480 at 30 or 15 fps, while the A470 only offers 20fps. Similarly, The SD1000 can shoot 320x240 at 60/30/15 fps while the A470 only can at 30fps. But neither cameras video performance is more than basic compared to any low end video camera.

So, what you gained in the A470 was a 3.5x as compared to a 3x zoom, and you gave up the "style" of carrying around the slightly smaller and sexier SD1000. If both cameras are used in "Auto Everything" mode, I doubt there would be any perceptible difference in the quality of the photos produced between the two.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.