Speakeasy

General discussion

So, apparently Mitt Romney almost made it to 47%.

by Ziks511 / November 27, 2012 8:06 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So, apparently Mitt Romney almost made it to 47%.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So, apparently Mitt Romney almost made it to 47%.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a feeling.....
by Josh K / November 27, 2012 10:23 PM PST

......that both Republicans and Democrats are pretty happy that Mitt Romney's political career is over. He even doubled down on the "47%" comments after the election, after previously trying to backpedal away from them in the last dying days of his campaign.

He can now go back to his car elevator, his tax-deductible-as-a-medical-expense horses, and his Swiss bank accounts.

Collapse -
I love it
by James Denison / November 28, 2012 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: I have a feeling.....

your posts, even after his loss, still reek of envy.

Collapse -
And yours still reek of denial
by Josh K / November 28, 2012 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: I love it

So there.

Silly

Collapse -
Looks like a really nice publication you've picked
by Steven Haninger / November 27, 2012 11:50 PM PST

We see a disheveled Mitt Romney looking rather beaten and battered. Oh how some mean and hateful people will get a few snickers over that one.

Actually, I saw it earlier in another article suggesting some photographer had grabbed a prized photo of Mitt pumping his own gas. Geese what a stingy person he is. He's rich. He should be paying someone to work the pump for him, shouldn't he. He should be employing a chauffeur as well. Job creator, right! There's no end his cursed greed...Satin incarnate, he is....

Really though...When will it be time to lay off the guy?

Collapse -
Good. I hope they talk in more than platitudes
by Steven Haninger / November 28, 2012 5:23 AM PST

Obama could probably learn a lot from Romney about how businesses work and think. He could teach the president that it's a better choice to build partnerships with business than to treat them as the enemy. Trying to ride them roughshod isn't a good plan.

Collapse -
And Romney could learn how to get elected?
by JP Bill / November 28, 2012 5:54 AM PST

Was Romney running for CEO or President?

Collapse -
Teach him how to get elected?
by Steven Haninger / November 28, 2012 10:16 AM PST

Err...Uh...I could be wrong but there's an ugly rumor going around that Romney, as a Republican, was able to weasel his way into being elected in a state that's notorious for favoring.....uh...I forget...is it Democrats or Democratics? Devil

Collapse -
(NT) What the heck does "Trying to ride them rough shod " mean?
by swazeyr / November 28, 2012 8:16 PM PST
Collapse -
To be "shod" refers to having footwear
by Steven Haninger / November 28, 2012 8:33 PM PST

Think horse shoes but not the backyard game. Then think about ways to increase traction to gain an advantage using means of questionable fairness in. It's an old expression that's been used in many ways including competition.

Collapse -
A better image maybe
by Steven Haninger / November 28, 2012 8:57 PM PST

Think about being trampled upon by people wearing standard running shoes. Then think about them switching to cinder track shoes.

Collapse -
How bout this image?
by JP Bill / November 28, 2012 9:09 PM PST
In reply to: A better image maybe

ride roughshod over
to treat someone or something with disdain or scorn.
to act in the way you want to, ignoring rules, traditions, or other people's wishes
to act without caring about how you will effect someone or something

Collapse -
Or the differnce between
by Steven Haninger / November 28, 2012 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: How bout this image?

just trying to get one's way for the moment and trying to get one's way from hereon. In other words, teaching the other person a lesson that and make sure they understand that you are not to be messed with.

Collapse -
I just want to keep reminding them
by James Denison / November 28, 2012 1:51 AM PST

,....that even losing the election, he's a lot richer than they are, ha ha ha! Wink

I know how that burns in their covetous little souls.

Collapse -
But he pays more taxes than most. ha ha ha!
by JP Bill / November 28, 2012 3:16 AM PST

he's a lot richer than they are, ha ha ha!

THEY?

How bout being richer than YOU?

Collapse -
Yeah, he's richer than me
by James Denison / November 28, 2012 10:30 AM PST

but.....that doesn't bother me.

Collapse -
So YOU say....
by JP Bill / November 28, 2012 11:16 AM PST

It also doesn't bother the people you are laughing at.

So THEY say.

You don't believe them, why should they believe you?

Collapse -
When he and George W are on a small deserted island
by Ziks511 / December 2, 2012 12:13 AM PST

a thousand miles from anywhere and they can run their own elections against one another.

My point had nothing to do with the photo, and everything to do with the strange confluence of that fictional figure which anyone with half a brain can debunk, or anyone with half a brain could check on-line to see if it were true and find heaps of evidence that it wasn't, and Mitt's own results. It had to do with Romney's disconnection from the Real World, and real people, and how hard they work to stay the hell away from Government Assistance programs, including refusing to claim for Food Stamps even if they qualify. There is no great "Dependency Class", there is only a pool of people who through mistakes or misfortune have fallen into a situation that they are all trying to get out of to the best of their ability.

The fact that some "Republicans" seem to rejoice in the presence of these "free loaders" in order to hack at the Democratic Party, or the President, or anyone not themselves is a very poor reflection on their sense of charity, Common humanity, and just how close to that drop we all are at one point or another in our lives. It is a way of denying that there is a problem of inequity, and of denying that the dice are loaded "for" some people and "against" others.

There's a commonly available graph on the American economy which shows the difference between revenue and expenditures from about 1960 to the present day. The two go along quite close together until Reagan when a gap opens up. It begins to narrow under Clinton and then becomes a chasm under Bush long before there was any hint of Wall Street, and the Second Not Quite So Great Depression.

I also found out why Obama didn't put in safeguards to prevent the improper use of bailout funds. It's because the original legislation was passed under Bush, all Obama got to do was pay out the money. You can't stick a whole bunch of rules into legislation after it has passed, no matter how bad it is, unless you repeal it entirely (2 Votes, 1 Congress and 1 Senate), then propose the legislation and suffer through the debates with the Stone Wall Senate Filibuster, and get it passed by Congress, and messed up by the Senate and sent back to Congress and try to get it through the Senate again (that's another 4 votes) and finally enact it.

Honestly Steve, were Toni not on her crusade, and were you less critical of Obama, you'd hear nothing at all about Mutt Romney from me. As long as Toni, and the rest of the cRazy Republican Know-Nothings are after Obama in terms which are frequently coded racism, I'll keep posting stories about the Country Club Guy who thought he could run the country in his spare time.

It is nice that he pumps his own gas, though. Of course, he'd have to carry his own gas pump attendant if he didn't want to.

Rob

Collapse -
I'd need to argue that, if Romney doesn't live or
by Steven Haninger / December 2, 2012 1:21 AM PST

connect with the real world, he's got company in Obama. I see the president as not wanting to live in the real world but create an ideal one...but to his own specifications. Such is why I don't think a person who comes from an activist background should be allowed to lead the country. Their view is too small, IMO.

Collapse -
A guy that wants to create an ideal world
by JP Bill / December 2, 2012 4:36 AM PST

has a view that is too small?

Collapse -
Read the part after the ellipsis (pause)
by Steven Haninger / December 2, 2012 6:04 AM PST

It's his ideal world (Obama's). That doesn't make it everyone's desire. Activists have a focus on specific issues and not the bigger picture. There's a place for activists in that they offer perspectives that not everyone sees. That's a good thing, IMO, but to be a leader of a very large and diverse country one must recognize that the agenda needs to include all people and not just those of the leader's personal thinking.

Collapse -
RE: That doesn't make it everyone's desire.
by JP Bill / December 2, 2012 11:06 AM PST

you're the one that called it "ideal".

Sometimes you can't include all people...so you include the majority.

Sorry if you're in the minority, this term anyway.

Collapse -
An ideal world is exclusive??
by Steven Haninger / December 2, 2012 5:55 PM PST

IMO, there cannot be such a thing anyway. As well, when Obama talks about doing what is "fair", he's talking about what he sees as fair and not necessarily anyone else. The word sounds good but is full of ambiguity. As far as including the majority, Obama hasn't done so. His base is made up of a collection of minorities...none of which could stand alone.

Collapse -
RE:His base is made up of a collection of minorities...
by JP Bill / December 2, 2012 7:11 PM PST

His base is made up of a collection of minorities...none of which could stand alone.

They don't have to stand alone...they are standing together, sometimes referred to as a Majority.

Every individual is a minority...get enough of them together...they become a Majority.

4 MORE YEARS!!!!!!4 MORE YEARS!!!!!!4 MORE YEARS!!!!!!4 MORE YEARS!!!!!!

Collapse -
take your point, but
by Roger NC / December 2, 2012 7:35 AM PST

there seems to be one of two problems with people who desire political office/power.

Either there is something they plan to fix for everyone with their ideal solution, or they just desire the power of office. The only other motive that seems to appear is politics is their path to fame rather than the entertainment business.

Sorry, but that's the way it seems. I'm not sure which is better.

Running to serve the pubic is only a campaign slogan. The best intentioned candidate isn't running to serve the public, he runs to save the public because he knows best.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.