Mac OS

General discussion

SnowLeopard and my External FireWire drive ...

by macmidiguy / March 30, 2010 1:59 PM PDT

I have an iMac 3.06 ( late 2009 edition ). I installed SnowLeopard on an external FireWire Drive. However there are some applications on the FW drive that do not believe that the external drive is the boot drive albeit i boot to that external FireWire Drive.

How do i fix that problem ?

Suggestions/advice/comments please.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SnowLeopard and my External FireWire drive ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SnowLeopard and my External FireWire drive ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More information required
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 30, 2010 9:48 PM PDT

just what applications are you referring to?

P

Collapse -
And maybe,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 30, 2010 9:49 PM PDT

those application require that they be on the Boot drive to function correctly

P

Collapse -
?
by macmidiguy / April 2, 2010 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: And maybe,

Since I bootup from the external FW hard drive is that not the Boot drive you are referring to ?

Collapse -
OK, My bad,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 2, 2010 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: ?

I misread your post.

Of course you are correct.

I had, in my mind, the applications on the internal HD while the machine was booted from the external.

Of course, that may also be the problem. These guys do not realize that they are on an external

Check the prefs for scratch drive and such

P

Collapse -
more info
by macmidiguy / March 31, 2010 1:38 AM PDT

I do believe that the cause of my problem is the fact that new iMacs have only one FW 800 PORT.

I have two FW hard drives that have the "old" fashion 400 PORTS.

Therefore I had to purchase that special cable to convert from/to 800 >> 400 PORTS.

The first FW drive is connected directly to the iMac.

The second FW drive is daisy chained to the first FW drive.

For example One of the applications that is not working correctly is Digital Performer 7. It has been installed and authorized to work in the first FW drive and also installed and authorized to work in the second FW drive.

When I boot into the first FW drive and launch Digital Performer it will launch but when i shut down the application it will not quit unless i force quit. When I do the force quit salute the application shows as running and not the typical "not responding" comment.

Now when I am still booted into the first FW drive but launch Digital Performer that is installed on the second FW it works and shuts down with no problems.

Some applications work without that pain in the studio problem and others not. For example, when i was doing an up date to Band in a Box the installer could not see the application/contents. I had to use Pacifist to extract the contents of the .pkg. and manually move the files/folders.

Suggestions/advice/comments please.

Collapse -
Are you sure it's booting?
by qprize / April 3, 2010 12:06 AM PDT

I know it sounds condescending, but are you sure it's actually booting from the FW drive? I was having a few problems running mine until I added a few visual cues to make sure I knew which drive I was using. One is to look at the order of the drives on the desktop, though this isn't necessarily foolproof. The best is to have a desktop wallpaper specific (and exclusive) to each drive. Initially, I went with an obvious "FIREWIRE" I simply screen-grabbed from TextEdit. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective.

Collapse -
excellent point
by macmidiguy / April 4, 2010 10:56 AM PDT

Excellent point.

I am sure that it's booting into the external FW hard drive. It shows up as the first icon on the desk top. Also each drive has a different desktop and different application installed. The external FW is exclusively set up for midi/audio/video work. The main hard drive only has a few midi/audio/video programmes.

I am going to try another external FW drive to see what happens although i still don't know why apple's new iMacs only has one FW port. I know that many people swear by the USB drives but i have found that they do not keep up to a real time audio/video recording. They tend to stutter or chock when too much data is being pushed thru.

Collapse -
Firewire ports
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: excellent point

Yes, one port does seem like a step backward but, remember that you can daisy chain Firewire devices with very little loss.

Rather like SCSI, but better!

P

Collapse -
driving ms daisy
by macmidiguy / April 5, 2010 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewire ports

I believe that is the problem here. No matter how i daisy chain i still have the same problem.

I will be looking to finding a FW hub that goes from my iMac 800 ports out to 400 ports rather then daisy chaining. Those hubs are hard to find if not more expensive. Or find a FW drive that has the 800 ports.

Once again since my days and problems with the QuickSilver's and Mirror Door Macs that Apple has again disappointed me in building iMac's with only one FW port. ( Well, that's my Apple rant for today. )

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.