Mac OS forum

General discussion

Snow Leopard won't install

by colhills / October 29, 2009 7:43 AM PDT

I have bought the family license Snow Leopard and it installed OK on my iMac but i have tried at least ten times to upgrade my MacBook but it installs for 6 mins then reboots and am back to square one. It just won't install any further.
Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Snow Leopard won't install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Snow Leopard won't install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try
by jimkahnw / October 30, 2009 10:59 AM PDT

I am no Mac guru and I'm just guessing. Did you reformat your hard drive, MacOS journaled? Maybe your install disk is corrupt. Let us know how you solved your problem.

JIMK

Collapse -
by colhills / October 30, 2009 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you try

No I did not format my hard drive since SL is really an update to Leopard and is supposed to do number of "good things" to it!
My first impression was that the install disk was corrupt but since it installed on my iMac that was not the problem. However I also took it along with my Macbook to the computer store and discovered two things 1. the disk is OK 2. My disk drive is faulty only after 18 months and the years guarantee has run out! I then bought an external disk drive for 105

Collapse -
by jimkahnw / October 31, 2009 12:37 AM PDT

From my experience, hard disk drive life can vary. Most promise hundreds of thousands of hours, but engineers calculate it as a "mean time between failures" -- some will last longer than others. Be glad yours failed when you could replace it, rather than the horror stories I've read about where the drive decides to die in the middle of some important project and there's no backup.

I wouldn't recommend using an external drive as your main, start up, except in an emergency. Keep the new one for backup or extra storage and replace the one in the case -- you'll also get faster data transfer rates. Yes, 350

Collapse -
The OP has a failed Optical Drive,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 31, 2009 4:41 AM PDT

the HD is fine.

An external Optical drive will do the job nicely considering the price of a replacement optical drive.

They are not cheap, even in the US. $147.99 or

Collapse -
by colhills / October 31, 2009 5:30 AM PDT

Sorry you seem to have been misled.... my CD/DVD drive failed not my hard disk! I have been using an external CD drive to install the update but five minutes into the install it just reboots the laptop and am back to square one! My hard disk is OK.

The cost of installing a CD drive in the MacBook was quoted as 350

Collapse -
Installing drives in MacBook
by jimkahnw / October 31, 2009 5:58 AM PDT

You can install a drive in MacBook. Here's a site with a video tutorial:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/superdrive/MacBook_13 If this isn't your model, there are other videos that you can search. As you can see a new drive is US$147.00, but I don't think this vendor will ship overseas -- all the custom fees and taxes. Better to buy locally, but you have the option.

Any luck installing the new cat?

Collapse -
Snow leopard won't install
by colhills / October 31, 2009 5:57 PM PDT

Thanks for that info. It seems that Apple shops seem to think that Macs are so exclusive that they can charge a premium for any replacement parts and labour. Also the Euro at the current exchange rate makes the dollar cheap which means the price of US$147 equates to

Collapse -
Mac Problem Solving Resources
by jimkahnw / October 31, 2009 11:16 PM PDT

Your problems are unusual and like a hard drive that fails after only a few months use, statistically rare -- except when it happens to you. It's like winning the lottery, but without the prize. You can try the Apple web site for trouble shooting help and here're links to US sites that you can search for help:

http://reviews.cnet.com/macfixit/?tag=bc
http://macintouch.com/ (see link on left for Reader Reports, scroll down for Snow Leopard link)

You could also Google your problem. There must be similar sites in the EU.

Searching for your specific problem can be frustrating and time consuming and may not yield the information you need.

With your continued problem installing SL: there could be a hardware issue with your computer. I had an iBook that went back to Apple four times for various repairs. I'm glad I bought Apple Care -- I paid nothing, not even shipping, and the turn around was only a week for each incident; but that was to a repair facility in Tennessee. It was still a hassle. From your experience it sounds like there's nothing like it in the EU.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.