Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Snow Leopard wants me to buy iWork?

by robertmccoskey / February 1, 2011 7:26 AM PST

I updated my iMac with Snow Leopard a little while back (2-3 months) and now I am being prompted to buy iWork as it tells me my trial period is over? What is going on? When I upgraded why did I lose the following:
Word, Excel, Power-Point , etc?
I was told my iMac was the first to have the Intel Chip, bought right before new aluminum iMacs came out.

Model: iMac 5,1
Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
1 processor, 2 cores

Thanks for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Snow Leopard wants me to buy iWork?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Snow Leopard wants me to buy iWork?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your problem has nothing to do with an Intel chip
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 1, 2011 8:21 AM PST

or with upgrading to Snow Leopard, but does have everything to do with the trial period for Microsoft Office expiring.

Microsoft do not give away full versions of their Office suite, on Windows or Mac, and what you had was a 30 trial of the software.
The clock starts the first time you actually launch one of the elements of MS Office.

iWork is a fair substitute for Office, at a fair price.

There are also a couple of substitutes for Office like, Open Office and Neo Office (both free)

Collapse -
Snow Leopard wants me to buy iWork?
by robertmccoskey / February 1, 2011 9:22 AM PST

I had previously paid for office for my mac. Unfortunately I lost box when I moved. I wonder if Microsoft will let me reload via the web?
I guess it seems that with the loading of SN, it deleted my office that was previously loaded and working fine until I loaded SN?

Collapse -
Use your Time Machine backup
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 1, 2011 11:16 PM PST

to locate the missing MS preferences and/or User folder.

Doubt that MS will allow you to reload via the web as Office is not an application that can be downloaded from them.

You could call and explain your problem but I think they will probably need a number from the box.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.