Mac Hardware

Question

SMTP (offline)

by breakfastdave / January 1, 2013 5:03 PM PST

I'm new to a MAC and loved the simple way it allowed me to set up my e-mail accounts.

However there is one account it insists on placing the SMTP offline and I can't seem to to turn it ONline ...which is a pain cos it's my main account

I've tried deleting the account and starting again and editing the SMTP server list but to no avail ...
Any suggestions welcome...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SMTP (offline)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SMTP (offline)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Are you 110% positive that you have all the
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: SMTP (offline)

names entered correctly?

Who is your provider?

P

Collapse -
SMTP (offline)
by breakfastdave / January 1, 2013 9:15 PM PST

P
All the fields are entered correctly
account has been re-created loads of time to try and fix the problem

The provider is ntlworld - which is the same as virginmedia, and that account works fine - as do the gmail accounts

each time I delete the account and create it the SMTP goes straight to 'offline' - all the other account are fine

the account also receives mail fine
D

Collapse -
Answer
I'm new to Mac too, and had the same problem, now solved.
by Dorsetman04 / January 2, 2013 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: SMTP (offline)

I had the same problem. I found that it was automatically putting a tick in the box about requiring SSL , which my ISP positively doe not want. After a call to Apple help, I unticked the box containing the port numbers and ticked the "custom" box, and entered port 25. This allowed me to leave the SSL box unticked without it automatically being ticked again. All was then well. You may need to ring Apple help to get them to talk you through and give you the right port number, or you could just try one of those provided in the other box.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.