PC Applications forum

by jamwill47 / July 15, 2011 12:53 AM PDT

I would like to complain about this company & to warn other PC users about their antic's with their download software,when you come to pay.
I bought software to update my drivers, buy 1 prog @ $9.95 & get another free, when the invoice came through by e/mail shortly after, i found i had been charged $9.95+$9.95 plus a monthly charge of $9.95,as soon as i read that i e/mailed back straight away & canncelled the transaction as it was not what i had agreed to & after alot of disscussion back & fore & recieveing alot of waffle, i have been told i have no chance of getting my money back, i have not used the software or activated it & i am not very happy, SO BE WARNED

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: smarttweak.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: smarttweak.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Regarding the 2 charges..
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / July 15, 2011 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: smarttweak.com

In an effort to try to help, I went to their website. I see on the order page, underneath the charge for UpdateMyDrivers, there's an additional (pre-checked) charge for $9.95. Next to the pre-checked box, it say's "Add Download warranty for this item".

Just next to it, it includes a link which reads, "what is this?". When you click on it, it states:

What is download insurance?

The Download Insurance Service gives purchasers the peace of mind that for a full year they can always re-download the purchased product.

Is it possible, that's where the additional $9.95 came from? And you didn't UNcheck the insurance charge? (I'll refrain from commenting on their charge to insure you "can always re-download the product". The one they charged you!)

I must say their terms are ambiguous. In one area I read:

The license is valid for one month. After the expiration it will be renewed automatically. This means that PayProGlobal will automatically renew the license for you 30 days from the date of the purchase. You will receive a separate email with payment details for this recurrent billing. In case you want to change the "auto-renew" option, please access your PayProGlobal Buyer Account by clicking here.

At first, I took that to mean they were referring to a 30 day trial period. But on a closer read, I'm wondering if in saying they will renew your license "30 days from the date of purchase", it means they will continue billing you each month. Confused

According to their refund policy, they will only provide a refund, "If we are unable to provide the updated driver that we have presented when you did the free scan for functioning hardware devices." Something else, which makes no sense to me.

With all the above said, did you try to dispute it with your credit card company?

I can understand why you're 'not very happy'!

Collapse -
by jamwill47 / July 15, 2011 6:25 AM PDT

Hi Carol, the page i had was a special offer & i cannot recall seeing anthing like you said,as for payment i made the mistake of paying with my debit card & not my credit card & they are not very helpfull,but i am going to try them again.
Thanks Jim

Collapse -
The special offer..
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / July 15, 2011 8:54 AM PDT

For whatever it's worth at this point...

You can see the special offer in my above post, within the hyperlink for the order page. ⇐ ⇐ Same as this.

What's interesting is, as far as I can tell from viewing the picture, they show "TweakMySystem" offered free. But if you look at the products they sell, of the 3 there is no "TweakMySystem" listed/shown. Perhaps, it's an older (or out-dated) version of "FixMyRegistry"?

IF they are offering a free program named "TweakMySystem", it might be a blessing in disguise. We've found those type programs, cause more problems than the fix. Admittedly, I don't know what its function and purpose is. I'm only going by the name. And the fact that they sell also FixMyRegistry.

When you wrote you were going to try them again, I sure hope you meant you were going to try to get your money back. Sorry to hear you paid with your Debit Card. Sad It could be worse. Here they say "TweakMyDrivers" lists for $29.95!

Best of luck!

Collapse -
I agree with Carol
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2011 10:26 PM PDT

Surely you're not going to "try them again", as in, try the download and software again? Please don't.

There's a saying, "Once burnt, twice shy". You don't want to be burnt twice.

About the charges. Contact your Debit Card provider immediately and tell them to cancel the withdrawals. Some nations have regulations that require banks and other financial providers to allow this as they do with credit cards. Don;t waste time trying to get a refund from this web site.

They are shady, to say the least.

Collapse -
by jamwill47 / July 16, 2011 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree with Carol

Hi Mark when i said iwas going to try again i meant my debit card company, i wouldn't touch smarttweak again at any price & advise everybody to give them a wide berth.

Collapse -
pure deception
by BrenoCesar / December 20, 2011 6:24 AM PST

smartTweak.com, is a fake company stealing money. careful not to be fooled like I was!. updates the systemcrashes

Collapse -
by jamwill47 / December 20, 2011 6:53 PM PST
In reply to: pure deception

sorry to hear you got caught like me, thats why i posted a warning on CNET, but it looks like they are still at it

Collapse -
by Ringvaart / March 21, 2013 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: pure deception

Same experience 15-20 March 2013.

Now in conclafe with paypal

The answers of Smarttweak are alright : They offered a one price. I think I loose my payment :

Abonnement each month and one per computer!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.