Samsung forum

Question

SmartTV sound through Receiver ?

by Mr_ados / July 5, 2012 3:11 PM PDT

Hello,
I have the PN51E550 and a Marantz NR1602 receiver.
My understanding is that both of these units are HDMI 1.4a compliant. I understood the appeal of HDMI to be the ability to connect my components with a single cable and have the audio flow in the direction of my choosing (assuming no HDCP issues). My setup is one where the the TV is recess mounted (into stonework with no extra space) over a fireplace, with an HDMI cable running through the attic/ceiling to a media cabinet where the receiver and my Cable box is housed. [This setup was designed by the previous owner of my house - only using Component Video cable and an older 50" Panasonic TV. ] All of my components are connected to the NR1602 and the HDMI out runs to the PN51E550. Why can I not get the audio from the SmartTV apps to play via the main audio (powered by the NR1602)?? I have seen some suggestions to run a separate Optical audio from the TV to a separate input on the Marantz, and manually switch the source when running the apps. I have two issues with that - 1) No interest in removing the TV, buying a 50 ft optical cable and running it parallel to the HDMI- then remounting the TV and 2) what is the point of ARC on this TV if it doesn't work with the pre-loaded Samsung software??

Any suggestions from the Samsung team?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SmartTV sound through Receiver ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SmartTV sound through Receiver ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Good question
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 3:20 PM PDT

But as you can guess, if turning off Anynet does not help we use the optical link.

I know some want answers, some want a solution. Sometimes no one likes either answer.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: SmartTV sound through Receiver ?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 6, 2012 12:58 AM PDT

Mr_ados,

Thanks for all that detail. However, I need some clarity. You said, "Why can I not get the audio from the SmartTV apps to play via the main audio?"

Do you mean to say that the all the other audio from the TV works just fine, such as audio from over-the-air TV? I ask because the audio should be working just fine. Here's how to make sure that it's turned on:

You can listen to sound from the TV through a receiver connected using an HDMI cable without connecting a separate optical cable. To listen to sound through a receiver using the ARC function, go to the Receiver screen (System > Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) > Receiver). Then select Receiver and set to On.

Please note to use the ARC function, a receiver which supports the HDMI-CEC and ARC features must be connected to the HDMI IN 2 (ARC) port.

Hope that helps!

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
some clarity
by Mr_ados / July 6, 2012 2:16 AM PDT

thanks for the reply.
Sorry for not specifying. I do not use the TV as the audio source for anything (other than what comes through the SmartTV functions). I do not presently use OTA programming. All of the "sources" are run through my Marantz receiver.

When I want to use the Smart TV apps, the only audio that I get is from the TV speakers.

RE: "Please note to use the ARC function, a receiver which supports the HDMI-CEC and ARC features must be connected to the HDMI IN 2 (ARC) port."
- are you saying that I need to have the HDMI OUT from the TV go to the TV as HDMI IN 2 - as opposed to HDMI IN 1 ? Why should that make a difference?

RE: "You can listen to sound from the TV through a receiver connected using an HDMI cable without connecting a separate optical cable. To listen to sound through a receiver using the ARC function, go to the Receiver screen (System > Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) > Receiver). Then select Receiver and set to On."
- Does this include the SmartTV apps?

Collapse -
Connected to HDMI 2 In but still no sound from SmartTV
by coolburt / July 6, 2012 2:24 AM PDT

When I set up the ARC function (System>Anynet+(HDMI-CEC)... it doesn't identify my Onkyo Receiver. I have set up my HDMI Control on my receiver.

What I am missing? What can I do to get the devices to talk to each other.

I assume my HDMI connection on the receiver is still Out Main. Or, do I need to change it to something else?

As an alternative, is there a way to set up one of the unused input selectors for the TV audio input?

Collapse -
Let me put this another way --
by coolburt / July 6, 2012 3:15 AM PDT

Why doesn't System>Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) let me activate the "receiver button"?

I can see it as a menu item, but I can't connect to it or activate it.

Collapse -
Anynet appears to be a Samsung feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2012 5:48 AM PDT

It's uncertain if your Onkyo will work with that. So far it appears it does not.

Collapse -
Model 3's?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 6, 2012 6:08 AM PDT

Hey Coolburt,

Any chance you could provide for us the complete model code for both the home theater and TV?

HD Tech

Collapse -
RECEIVER
by Mr_ados / July 6, 2012 7:40 AM PDT

Hello,
I tried to make the change you noted on the TV:
"go to the Receiver screen (System > Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) > Receiver). Then select Receiver and set to On. "

However, when I try to change "OFF" to "ON", I receive a popup saying "This function isn't available."

What should I try now?

Collapse -
Re: Receiver
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2012 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: RECEIVER

Mr_ados,

In the Anynet+ menu, make sure that it's turned on as well. I forgot to make sure that was turned on. But another problem we'd like to isolate is if there's a problem with cable; so if you could bring the home theater system down closer to it, and then just use a shorter cable to it, then we could isolate that as a possible cause.

Let me know how that goes!

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Same problem with my Samsung UN60ES6100 and Marantz SR5007
by ASUCaptain / April 27, 2013 5:35 AM PDT

Samsung HD tech guy PLEASE HELP.

I have a Samsung UN60ES6100 and Marantz SR5007.

I have my SR5007 ARC HDMI plugged into the back up my UN60ES6100 ARC HDMI port...yet no sound to the receiver through the Samsung Smart TV apps.

SR5007 is set to TV

Thanks

Collapse -
This might help
by Trixart / April 27, 2013 11:18 PM PDT

I have a Samsung UN60ES7150 TV and a Pioneer VSX-1123 receiver. I was having the same problem. Here's what fixed it for me. I ran the HDMI cable from the HDMI Out 1 on the receiver to the HDMI In 2 ARC on the TV. On the receiver, I went to the Setup Menu, then HDMI setup and turned Control Mode On, then ARC On.

I did not make any changes on the TV regarding Anynet+.

Collapse -
ARC on Pioneer Receiver
by RichAV8R / June 10, 2013 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: This might help

Hi Trixart. Thanks for info. I have a Pioneer VSX-523 and set it up same way you pointed out. When you power the receiver on, what do you set it to in order to hear the TV sound source through the receiver? In other words, the receiver typically has to have a source selected. Since the source is actually the TV via the HDMI/ARC, is there something specific the receiver is supposed to be set on?

Collapse -
Video from STB
by nikhil55 / November 25, 2013 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: This might help

Hi Trixart,
Thanks for your suggestion on connecting to the HDMI In 2 ARC connection. that helped put the audio through my externally connected speakers (via my receiver). But, now when I go to my STB input, I get audio only (through my externally speakers/receiver) but no video. Any idea how to work around this issue?

Basically, through HDMI 2 (arc), I get video & audio through external speakers for the TV apps, but no video for my STB. And, with HDMI 1, I get video & audio through external speakers for my STB (and other input devices), but no audio through my speakers for my TV apps.

Any suggestions will be helpful! I have a Samsung PN64F8500 TV & a Pioneer SC-1222 receiver.

Thanks!

Collapse -
just turn on rihd
by sbpoultry / May 16, 2013 2:12 PM PDT

turn on RIHD/
GO TO HARDWARE SETTINGS FROM HOME-IN RECEIVER...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.